dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

The Dallas Cowboys have agreed to a deal with guard Jonathan Cooper, who worked out for the team Tuesday, that will last through the playoffs, according to sources. He will be an unrestricted free agent in March and could net the Cowboys a compensatory pick in 2018. Cooper was the seventh overall pick in 2013 by the Arizona Cardinals and was released last week by the Cleveland Browns.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I would think the OL we signed off our practice squad last week is the player we'd release to make room for Cooper

Sources: Cowboys agree to deal with G Jonathan Cooper

10:53 AM ET

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have agreed to a deal with guard Jonathan Cooper that lasts as long as they are in the playoffs, according to multiple sources.

Before the deal becomes official, the Cowboys will have to make a move to fit him on the 53-man roster.

Cooper, who worked out for the Cowboys on Tuesday, is set to be an unrestricted free agent in March. If he does not re-sign with the Cowboys, it is possible they could net a compensatory pick in return in 2018.

Cooper was released last week by the Cleveland Browns. He started three of the five games he played for the Browns after he was released by the New England Patriots in October. The Arizona Cardinals, who drafted Cooper No. 7 overall in 2013, traded him and a second-round pick to the Patriots for defensive end Chandler Jones in the offseason.

Cooper, 6-2, 310 pounds, has started 14 of his 29 career games. The Cowboys are expecting guard La'el Collins, who has been on injured reserve since October because of a toe injury, to be available at some point in the playoffs, but Cooper will give them more depth along the offensive line.

The Cowboys can make three more roster moves during the postseason, not including calling up players from their practice squad.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Browns cut him so.......

The Browns don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, so what they do has no weight with me on anything regarding player or coach evaluations.

But the fact that Arians and Belichick gave up on him (and the Cards drafted him really early and still gave up on him fast) does raise huge red flags.

Reaction score
I am always a big fan of taking a flier on a former blue chip talent.

Low risk, high reward.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I would think the OL we signed off our practice squad last week is the player we'd release to make room for Cooper

I'd release Sanchez.

And I'd probably rather have Cooper play QB if we need one over Sanchez.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
maybe cooper can contribute by giving gregory some clean piss for his next test or something.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The Browns don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, so what they do has no weight with me on anything regarding player or coach evaluations.

But the fact that Arians and Belichick gave up on him (and the Cards drafted him really early and still gave up on him fast) does raise huge red flags.

100% agreement and I said yesterday if Belicheat says you cant play, probably a good chance you cant. He also doesnt put up with any shit so there is a good chance we dont know the whole story. However a team bereft of talent like the Browns cutting you, that quick, somethings up. We all know Jerry treats the team like a home for wayward boys.

Reaction score
To make room for Jonathan Cooper on the roster the Cowboys released Ryan Seymour. Wide receiver Shaquelle Evans was signed to the practice squad.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Obviously we're only keeping Sánchez to keep Dak's sounding board in place. Sure isn't because he can play.

Top Bottom