C

Cr122

Cowboys need to call more run plays to take pressure off Romo

11:40 PM CDT on Thursday, August 26, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth chatted on KESN-FM on Wednesday and discussed the Cowboys, their offensive line and Tony Romo. Here are some highlights:

Do the Dallas Cowboys have a good enough offensive line to protect Tony Romo and give him time to throw the ball?

Well, that’s an interesting question. They are good enough but that comes down, for me, to their offensive coordinator. Are you going to mix in the run? First off, their offensive line is the biggest offensive line in captivity. I mean, they’re gigantic and sometimes we get so enamored with the guys outside and the guy you have playing quarterback that you don’t protect him. Part of protection is understanding how to run the ball, understanding how to set yourself up so you’re not in ‘3rd down and 12’ all the time and especially early.

If you get in that situation early in a game, you’re going to get in trouble and you go back to that Minnesota game, they had 10 carries in that game, I believe in the first quarter. They’re running roughshod. Now, they had a couple of fumbles and they were down but they’re running roughshod over Minnesota. The rest of the game, combined, had 10 carries in the last three quarters. And that’s when you start really having problems as an offense. So, can they be that good? Yes, but they’re going to have to do it from a protection standpoint by running the ball and taking the pressure because athletically, I think they’re a little bit challenged on the edge.

To listen to the interview, click here.

• • •

Top Bottom