C

Cr122

Cowboys' Martin Rucker hoping to practice full-time on Monday
Posted at 1:16 PM on Fri., Aug. 20, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Martin Rucker spent his first practice with the Cowboys rehabbing his hamstring injury on Friday morning but he is shooting to get on the field Monday's practice. He will remain in Oxnard for rehab as the team travels to San Diego for tomorrow's game.

The Cowboys signed Rucker Thursday as they continue to look for tight end help with John Phillips out for the year, Martellus Bennett somewhat limited by an ankle injury and Scott Sicko out with a concussion. They have added DajLeon Farr and Jason Pociask in the last two weeks but Rucker does not think he will be that far behind.

"It's a huge opportunity for me," Rucker said. "A lot of guys besides Jason Witten and Marty B, they're new just like I am. They've been here for a couple of more days but other than that we're starting on the same page so I've got to pick things up quickly so I can play fast."

The Cowboys claimed Rucker after his release from Philadelphia but he was awarded to Tampa Bay. The Buccaneers failed him on a physical and the Cowboys were in contact over the last few days. He arrived in Oxnard on Thursday and had a physical.

Rucker said there were similarities to the Cowboys' scheme and what he ran while in Cleveland.

"They do a lot of different things with the tight ends," Rucker said. "They ask them to block, ask them to run routes, ask them to move around in the backfield pre-snap. It's going to be a challenge but I'm definitely up to it and I think it's going to be a lot of fun."

Top Bottom