C

Cr122

SAN DIEGO - In the middle of two San Diego defenders, tight end Martellus Bennett, a former basketball player, went up for the alley-oop and came down with a slam dunk - six points!

The game-tying 19-yard touchdown came from the arm of Jon Kitna with 12:11 left in the game. In his preseason debut, Bennett led the team in reception yards (40) and tied wide receiver Sam Hurd in receptions with four. He was a major contributor in the Cowboys 16-14 victory over the Chargers Saturday night.

"I feel like once the ball is in the air it's mine," Bennett said. "So anywhere you put it I feel like I got to go get it."

As a rookie, Bennett flashed his potential at times, especially with his ability to find the end zone as he tied for second on the team in touchdown receptions with four. Saturday, Bennett again showed some of that potential expected by the Cowboys when they drafted him in the second round in 2008.

His role is usually as an extra blocker and a man who can make plays in the passing game. With injuries to both the offensive line and tight ends, it was perfect timing for the third-year tight end from Texas A&M to step up - and he did.

Fellow tight end Jason Witten concurred.

"He did good," Witten said. "He got in there and made a nice catch on the touchdown. That's what he does really well and so (he is) just going to continue to play that way. He is going to have a big role on this offense and it was good for him to play that well tonight."

Bennett has been the Cowboys' No. 2 tight end the last two years, but his role was in question some in this camp because of the emergence of John Phillips. But a season-ending knee injury to Phillips in the preseason opener has left the door wide open. Saturday night, Bennett didn't just jump through, but danced as well.

Following Bennett's touchdown, he celebrated with a dance inspired by his favorite rapper Wiz Khalifa.

"That's Wiz Khalifa 'I'm Rolling'," Bennett said. "He does that dance in the video and he is one of my favorite artists, so I had to do that too."

Apparently, he has a few more tricks up his sleeve as well saying, "I got a lot of stuff in store this year."

For the Cowboys' sake, they hope he gets to show what that "stuff" is as he continues to work hard and attempt to shed the perception, of some, which he likes to call haters, that he is not mature or serious about football.

"I'm still playing with the same tempo, the same way I have been practicing everyday," Bennett said. "When you got a group of guys like this - Felix (Jones), Marion (Barber) and those guys push me to play harder every single play and so that's what I am doing. "

Bennett said he practices hard every day and is excited he is finally able to show the world how he has worked and improved.

"It felt good to be out there with my team and playing when it really matters," he said. "It's just exciting."

Tight ends coach John Garrett praised the oft-misunderstood Bennett after the game.

"He's really matured and improved as a player, like everyone has said and noticed," Garrett said. "This year he's really determined to be a good player. He's worked hard to rehab his ankle and come back, and played very well. This was an opportunity for him to make some plays and he did it, so we're very pleased with his progress."

Since returning from his ankle injury last week, Bennett has practiced well with all three of the Cowboys quarterbacks, especially Kitna.

"He and I have a real connection with each other," Kitna said following the game. "It's about getting opportunities in a game. This is his first game he has had action because of the ankle."

A tight end in a power forward's body, Bennett certainly made the most of his opportunity with his jump-ball score.

"That's who he is," Kitna said about Bennett. "He is a nightmare for people."

kingdomcome1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If he can stay off Twitter and Facebook, etc., he'll be fine. He has the physical tools to be as good as, or better than Witten. Once his mind is in the game full time, there is no stopping him....

C

Cr122

If he can stay off Twitter and Facebook, etc., he'll be fine. He has the physical tools to be as good as, or better than Witten. Once his mind is in the game full time, there is no stopping him....

He better step it up, because we need him and plus he's due to breakout. At least that's what he tells us every year.

Reaction score

Clayton Holmes had the physical tools to be as good as Deion Sanders. Never came close.

Witten was gold from jumpstreet. He has a maturity and appreciation for the game that Bennett simply lacks. Otherwise, we would've seen it by now.

I just hope Bennett can give us an honest 30 receptions and 3-5 tds.

sbk92

Reaction score
Yeah, no way can he ever be as good as Witten.

But I know what the guy means. He's more physically gifted than Witten. Witten's intangibles are so far out there though. Bennett's a ten cent brain. He'll never get the most out of his ability.

Top Bottom