C

Cr122

California camp seems to have helped Cowboys WR Kevin Ogletree
Posted at 1:27 PM on Fri., Aug. 20, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
David Moore / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

One of our first posts from Oxnard was how Kevin Ogletree appeared to have hit a wall in his development.

Well, the gentle, SoCal breezes may have helped.

The Cowboys receiver was given a golden opportunity to make a move these past three weeks with Dez Bryant sidelined. A non-descript start to training camp in San Antonio and two lackluster pre-season performances stalled that effort.

But Ogletree has made the coaches take notice in practice the last several days. He looks more and more like a player on the rise.

"I'm just growing as a player,'' Ogletree said. "I don't know how far off or ahead I am of last year, but every day I come out here with a worker's mentality.''

Ogletree caught one pass for eight yards in the loss to Oakland and dropped two others. A player who turned heads in camp this time last year has caught only three of the 12 passes thrown his way in two pre-season games.

After the team's first practice in Oxnard six days ago, receivers coach Ray Sherman acknowledged that Ogletree, "has hit a plateau.'' Still, he complimented the young receiver on his attitude and work ethic.

"I had a couple of missed opportunities in the game, but I don't think I've ever hit a plateau,'' Ogletree said. "There are some days that don't go as good as other ones, but no one is harder on myself than me.

"It's a game about opportunities. When you miss one, you got to get back out there and do your best to make the next one.''

Ogletree was on the field for 40 snaps in the loss to the Raiders on top of the time he put in on special teams. In Sherman's words, "he was still hauling.''

What Ogletree must do now is clean up his route running and focus.

"Sometimes, it's hard for guys to fight through it and understand how to come to work every day, how to come to work every play,'' offensive coordinator Jason Garrett said.

"He's a guy who has really shown up since he's gotten here. He makes a lot of nice plays, can really run routes, catch the ball, do stuff underneath, do stuff down the field, do a lot of those things. Like with other players we've had in the past, the challenge is consistency. You need to be there every down.

"Kevin, like a lot of other players on our team, is learning to do that on a consistent basis.''

Top Bottom