dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
2016 NFL Draft: NDSU QB Carson Wentz proves he's first-round worthy

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

January 9, 2016 3:58 pm ET

FRISCO, Texas -- When evaluating quarterbacks, an important part of the scouting process is studying the passer in person. How does the ball come off his hand? How does he look physically? How does he respond to the environment?

So when I heard that North Dakota State senior quarterback Carson Wentz was healthy enough to play in the FCS National Championship Game on Saturday, I took advantage and saw the intriguing NFL prospect with my own eyes.

And he didn't disappoint.

North Dakota State defeated Jacksonville State, 37-10, to win its fifth straight FCS National Title and Wentz was very impressive in his return to the field. He finished 16-for-29 (55.2-percent) for 197 yards, two interceptions and three total touchdowns (one passing, two rushing), adding 79 yards rushing. The Bison used the ground game and physical defense to control the time of possession, but Wentz was also efficient throwing the football.

Entering the game, I expected rust from Wentz after he missed the second half of the season due to a broken wrist and hadn't seen game action since mid-October. But that wasn't the case as he looked extremely sharp and showed off several NFL traits, throwing with anticipation, timing and touch.

Wentz has a strong arm with the desired velocity for the next level and he needed it on Saturday as the wind was whipping around Toyota Stadium in Frisco. He has above average size (looks a legitimate six-foot-five) with impressive athleticism for his stature, using his legs on quarterback draws and scramble plays, including an 11-yard touchdown run in the second quarter.

North Dakota State runs a wide-open offensive attack with several pro-style looks, requiring Wentz to take most of his snaps from under center. He displayed a full menu of throws: rolling to his left, rolling to his right, using touch and trajectory over different levels of the defense, delivering before receivers were out of their breaks, and adding zip to fire strikes before defenders could react.

Wentz had a pre-snap plan and moved efficiently in his reads to find his target and make sound decisions. It was also encouraging to see his interactions with his teammates when the cameras weren't on him, coaching up his receivers and commanding the huddle.

It wasn't a perfect afternoon as Wentz was inconsistent with his deep ball accuracy, which resulted in a few incompletions. His placement was slightly off on a few out throws and he pre-determined several passes, which led to a pair of interceptions. But the positives far out-weighed the negatives on this afternoon as Wentz showed why he's included in my first round mock draft.

The next stop for Wentz is Mobile, Ala., where he will be one of the main attractions at the 2016 Senior Bowl. And with Michigan State's Connor Cook doubtful to attend, Wentz will be the clear-cut top passing prospect at the event. He has a NFL-style skill-set with his size, athleticism and arm talent, but his intelligence and intangibles on and off the field might be his best qualities.

The Dallas Cowboys' coaching staff will likely be coaching Wentz on the North squad during the week at the Senior Bowl, giving Jason Garrett and his staff an advantage.

Wentz is a first-round prospect in the 2016 NFL Draft. How high will he be drafted in round one? That's not a question anyone can answer in January, but he passed a test on Saturday, leading the Bison to a victory in the FCS National Title Game. And with a strong performance in Mobile, Wentz will only help himself.

Top Bottom