sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by jellis at 3/30/2011 10:29 AM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

Around draft time every year we keep an eye on what Gil Brandt says, because the former Cowboys scouting chief-turned-league contributor is as well respected as anyone when it comes to evaluating college players.

Brandt spearheaded the production of the Cowboys' draft board for their first 29 years of existence, and still has a pretty good feel for the team. These days he appears on the NFL Network and in frequent chats and opinion pieces on NFL.com.

A few weeks ago we pointed out that he didn't believe Nebraska cornerback Prince Amukamara was not one of the draft's real elite prospects, and in a recent Q&A session, he's sticking with that assertion. Brandt says the Cowboys should avoid taking a defensive back with their top pick, No. 9 overall.

Instead, he believes they should address one of their other crucial needs.

"I think that the Cowboys should take an offensive or defensive lineman," Brandt said. "You get better value in second and third rounds with defensive backs. Prince is talented but get a lineman. In the 2nd round you can get a corner with more value."

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
From his lips to God's ear.

Followed by an AMEN! I particularly agree with this.

"I think that the Cowboys should take an offensive or defensive lineman," Brandt said. "You get better value in second and third rounds with defensive backs. Prince is talented but get a lineman. In the 2nd round you can get a corner with more value."

Reaction score
"You get better value in second and third rounds with defensive backs. Prince is talented but get a lineman. In the 2nd round you can get a corner with more value."

Is this his general belief, or is he talking about this draft specifically?

I ask because I've heard more than one analyst suggest this is an especially weak draft for players in the secondary.

Top Bottom