C

Cr122

Farr From Settled
Crash Course For Newly-Signed TE
Chris Beesley
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Jason Witten is the only healthy tight end with more than two days of experience in the offense. IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys don't know much about newly acquired tight end DajLeon Farr.

But with the team's current tight end situation, that should change throughout the four quarters of Thursday's game against the Raiders.

Farr will have plenty of opportunities to show his abilities since three players at the position got injured in the Hall of Fame Game Sunday night against the Bengals. John Phillips, who impressed many in San Antonio and in Canton, tore his ACL and will miss the remainder of the season. Kevin Brock sprained his left ankle and was put on the waived/injured list. Scott Sicko, who played well while receiving a majority of the snaps on Sunday, had a concussion.

In addition to those injuries, Martellus Bennett has been rehabbing and getting treatment on his left ankle throughout training camp. Bennett practiced with the team a few times in San Antonio, but did not participate Tuesday and will also miss Thursday's game. On Wednesday, Wade Phillips said the team expects both Bennett and Sicko to be ready to play against the Chargers on Aug. 21.

After leaving Canton with Jason Witten as the only healthy tight end for Thursday's game, the team signed Farr on Tuesday and put a waiver claim on Martin Rucker who was released by the Eagles on Monday. Farr originally signed with the Chargers as a rookie free agent after the draft and was cut on Aug. 3. The Buccaneers had a worse record than the Cowboys last season, giving them a higher waiver priority and the rights to Rucker. Rucker failed the physical with Tampa Bay and they waived him on Wednesday. The Cowboys are likely again looking into Rucker's health and availability, although if he's not 100 percent, he may not fit needs for a team that is looking for help sooner than later.

But for this week's game, Farr and Witten are the only available tight ends. As is custom for the first-team players, Witten will not play more than two series. Although rookie fullback Chris Gronkowski will see some time at H-back and the team will use multiple receiver sets, Farr should be left with about three and a half quarters to show his abilities.

"Unfortunately, injuries are a big part of this game," Farr said. "But when another person goes down, then somebody else can step up and help the team win. That's what I'm here to do. I want to help this team win because it's a great organization to be a part of."

Playing what should essentially be an entire game is a lot to ask from a player who has only practiced with the team twice. Farr said Norv Turner's system in San Diego is similar to Jason Garrett's offense and he feels comfortable with the plays he's run so far with the Cowboys. Witten discussed how the young tight end has performed in limited time.

"He's done a good job and I think they're going to try to limit the playing and keep it basic for him," Witten said. "He's done a good job in picking it up. It's a great opportunity for him to come and play right away."

Farr said he understands that he is in a good position to display his abilities.

"You can't take any opportunity you have for granted," Farr said. "Going to San Diego was a great thing for me, a great experience. But once I got cut it was a wakeup call.

"I knew you couldn't take this job for granted, but it really hit home. I have to take advantage of every play that I do."

Although they never played together, Farr went to the same high school as center Andre Gurode, North Shore High in Houston. Farr was in the same recruiting class as Bennett, who also played in the Houston area at Alief Taylor High School. Farr said he and Bennett were the top rated tight ends coming out of high school, and they always joked with each other about who was rated higher by different websites.

Bennett stared at Texas A&M, and Farr went to Miami before transferring to Memphis where he ended his college career with 24 catches for 210 yards. Farr said the friendly competition between them will be good for both players.

"We always were trying to out-do the other," Farr said. "For him, fortunately, he was able to do a lot more in college. He had a lot more opportunities to show his abilities.

"But we are both here. Let's make it happen. Let's win."

Bennett might have outperformed Farr with more opportunities in college and a spot on the Cowboys' roster, but Farr is in a position to impress on Thursday against the Raiders.

If Farr performs well, maybe these old rivals can carry the conversation about who's better from high school rankings to performances in games and on the practice field.

Top Bottom