C

Cr122

Posted at 3:37 PM on Mon., Aug. 16, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Over the years, the Cowboys have done an excellent job in finding undrafted free agents. Of the current team, start with Tony Romo then go to Miles Austin, Sam Hurd, Stephen Bowen and Kevin Ogletree.

This year there could be as many as cornerback Bryan McCann, safety Danny McCray, center Phil Costa, fullback Chris Gronkowski and safety Barry Church have decent chances of making the 53-man roster.

For this post, we'll focus on McCann, the SMU product. He received an $11,000 signing bonus after the draft.

He intercepted two passes on Sunday, getting Stephen McGee in one-on-one drills and Tony Romo during team drills. Over the last week, he has improved his play after seeing sixth round pick Jamar Wall get off to a better start. He took a big hit on a punt return in the Hall of Fame Game against Cincinnati but played four days later against Oakland.

He had three tackles and a pass deflection and had a 28-yard punt return.

"I didn't finish the Cincinnati game," McCann said, "but I want to show the coaches I'm going to compete and I was going to come back."

Cletis Gordon is leading the race for the fourth cornerback spot, but McCann will have a chance to lock down the fifth - if they choose to go with that many corners - and become a special teams' contributor."

Top Bottom