C

Cr122

Archer: Based on training camp, Patrick Crayton is Cowboys' top receiver

06:00 PM CDT on Friday, August 20, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Dallas Morning News writer Todd Archer answered questions about the Dallas Cowboys on Thursday as the Cowboys prepare to play their fourth preseason game against San Diego. Here are some highlights:

Why is the dreaded "high ankle sprain" so much more severe than the garden variety sprain?

I don't have a medical degree and I'm not staying at a Holiday Inn, but a high ankle sprain involves the ligaments above the ankle that keep the fibula and tibia together. Those get stretched and torn and the bones are not stable enough when the players start and stop and cut.

Will there be NFL training Camp in August of 2011? Is there any chance with the new agreement that the pre-season will be shortened?

Just guessing, but I'd say no. There wouldn't be as much incentive to get a deal done until the players start missing game checks. That's probably too simple of a way to look at it, but there doesn't seem to be much progress.

Has Stephen McGee shown enough significant improvement to believe he could be the primary backup and possible future quarterback for the Cowboys?

I thought he was OK vs. Cincinnati and didn't see much vs. Oakland. He's not had many great moments out here. This doesn't come from anybody inside the building, but I wonder if they go with 2 QBs on the 53 man roster and try to get McGee on the practice squad. Just a thought. Maybe not a smart one, but just a thought.

Which wide receiver is going to step up this year and have a great year aside from Miles Austin?

Dez Bryant, provided he doesn't re-injure the ankle. And I really think Crayton. If you just had to grade WRs off of what you've seen in camp, then he might be No. 1. Honestly, he's been that good.

To read the rest of the chat, click here.

• • •

C

Cr122

Which wide receiver is going to step up this year and have a great year aside from Miles Austin?

Dez Bryant, provided he doesn't re-injure the ankle. And I really think Crayton. If you just had to grade WRs off of what you've seen in camp, then he might be No. 1. Honestly, he's been that good.

I don't agree with that. He's not a number one. But I'm glad to have him here.

Top Bottom