C

Cr122

Updated: August 3, 2010, 7:17 PM ET
Agent: Jets reach out to Darrelle Revis

By Rich Cimini
ESPNNewYork.com
Archive

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- A few hours after New York Jets owner Woody Johnson indicated the team would be reaching out to Darrelle Revis' agent, it happened.

Late Monday night, general manager Mike Tannenbaum had a "lengthy conversation" with Neil Schwartz, the agent told ESPNNewYork.com Tuesday afternoon. Schwartz declined to characterize the nature of the discussion, calling it "confidential."

It was an attempt by the Jets to facilitate negotiations. The two sides are trying to negotiate a new contract for the All-Pro cornerback, but they were so far apart that Revis refused to report to training camp. As a holdout, he's being fined more than $16,000 per day. So far, the bill is over $48,000.

On Monday afternoon, Johnson stepped into the fray, telling reporters the team is ready, willing and able to give Revis a contract extension. Johnson denied speculation that a cash-flow problem is the reason why they haven't offered a substantial signing bonus. If that's true, the two sides should be able to hammer out an agreement -- in theory.

Jets blog

Jets Looking for more information on the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

Revis, with three years remaining on his contract, is due to make $1 million for 2010. He wants to be the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL, surpassing the Oakland Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha ($15.1 million per year). Revis rejected long- and short-term offers. The latter included only about $5 million in 2010 compensation. The long-term proposal was more than $100 million in maximum value, but only a small portion was fully guaranteed, sources said.

On Day 3 of the holdout, Jets coach Rex Ryan said he believes Revis is receiving advice from his uncle, former NFL defensive lineman Sean Gilbert. In 1997, as a member of the Washington Redskins, Gilbert refused to sign his franchise tender and sat out the entire season.

"I'm sure it's happening," Ryan said.

In June, Revis told ESPNNewYork.com that he relies on his uncle's advice.

"I always talk to my uncle," Revis said at the time. "He knows the situation, but he tries to stay out of certain things. He doesn't try to tell me what to do or try to be a control freak. He's a great uncle and his advice is always good."

Gilbert didn't return a call for comment.

Ryan admitted he has mentioned the star cornerback's name in team meetings. Unlike some coaches, who take the out-of-sight, out-of-mind philosophy with holdouts, Ryan said he doesn't want to avoid the subject.

"I always mention it," Ryan said. "We go over the goals of our football team. Why wouldn't you mention that? You're talking about a tremendous football player and a great teammate. He's one of the guys. He's still a Jet. He's just not here."

Ryan added: "We admit that if Darrelle's not here, it's going to be more difficult. You're taking the best corner in the league out of your defense. But by no means does that mean we're not going to still get it done. We'll still get it done on defense."

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Top Bottom