Reaction score
Adviser David Wells: Dez Bryant in a 'dark place,' but he has a plan
WELLS.JPG

David Wells, an advisor to high-profile receivers Dez Bryant and Michael Crabtree, is pictured at his home in DeSoto on Thursday, May 6, 2010.

By JON MACHOTA / Special contributor to SportsDayDFW.com

Published 30 March 2011 11:48 AM

David Wells, adviser to Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant, believes the 2010 first round pick is progressing in life.

Over the past two weeks, Bryant has been issued a criminal trespass warning at a Dallas mall and faced multiple lawsuits that range from owing money for jewelry, sporting event tickets and housing.

When asked to give his current assessment of Bryant on Wednesday, Wells told KESN 103.3 FM that it has been a struggle, but he is not giving up on the standout rookie.

“I’ll put my father hat on,” Wells said. “Everybody’s worried when a child leaves home. You never know what is going to happen. But I think he is progressing. I know there’s a difference of opinion about where he is progressing, but I’ve seen some things change in him. It’s a struggle. But if I give up now, what does that say about the next kid that’s coming out of prison, that’s on the street, that calls me and says, ‘Hey man, can you help me?’”

Wells said he works with several athletes at all levels that have problems and he is not a quitter.

“I told the young man I’m going to be in this thing until the end,” Wells said referring to Bryant. “I’m going to fight until the end. And I’m going to try to keep the core group of people that we have around him. I’ve heard different things about people on the outside that want to comment, but until you’ve walked in my shoes, you can’t say anything.”

Added Wells: “There’s a struggle everyday out here for all of us. Just like Dez is going through a struggle. But I put my arms around him and I’m going to continue to love him and lift him up. And I know he’ll get to where he has to go, but it’s going to take time to get there, and I just hope that we can do it. And I know we can. I have faith.”

Bryant has stayed in contact with Wells and the two spoke as recently as Tuesday.

“I talked to him yesterday and he wants to get past this,” Wells said. “He wants to get all these deals past him and closure. He’s in a dark place in his life. Until you find that light, you’re going to continue to be in a dark place.”

Wells believes Bryant knows what he has to do and has a plan to get out of that dark place.

“He’s got a plan that he talked to me about yesterday, that he wants to move forward with,” Wells said. “The greatest thing in the end is if Dez comes out and does what he has to do in the community, as a father, with the Cowboys organization, then I think he’ll be OK.”

Reaction score
David Wells explains 'dark place' comments
March, 30, 2011 Mar 30 12:41PM
By Calvin Watkins

David Wells, who spent about 10 minutes on the Ben and Skin show today on 103.3 FM, said Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant is in a dark place right now.

Bryant has three lawsuits pending against him, the two biggest says he owes over $850,000, mainly on jewlery, sporting event tickets and personal loans.

Wells said the goal is for Bryant to repay the loans.

But the entire situation has wore him down.

"I talked to him yesterday and he wants to get past this," Wells said on the Ben and Skin Show. "He wants to get all these deals past him and closure. He’s in a dark place in his life. Until you find that light, you’re going to continue to be in a dark place."

After his interview, Wells was asked to speak further on the dark place comment to ESPNDallas: "When people are coming at you, and Dez doesn't like his name thrown out there, it bothers him. He just wants to be left alone."

Wells said Bryant is working out in Louisiana and is expected back to the Dallas area soon.

"He’s got a plan that he talked to me about yesterday, that he wants to move forward with," Wells said on the radio. "The greatest thing in the end is if Dez comes out and does what he has to do in the community, as a father, with the Cowboys organization, then I think he’ll be OK."

Top Bottom