sbk92

Reaction score
Q&A Session

2-Minute Drill With ... Sean Lee

Joseph Garcia
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Lee is expected to start the last two preseason games with Keith Brooking out. OXNARD, Calif. - While he had a few ups and downs rookie linebacker Sean Lee had a solid, if not impressive, NFL debut.

The Penn State alumnus recorded 13 total tackles Saturday night against the San Diego Chargers which is a good performance for any NFL linebacker - let alone a rookie.

"We say, well, he didn't do this and he didn't do that, he did make some mistakes, but that guy was all over the field," Wade Phillips said. "He made some plays a lot of people can't make."

Wade Phillips said Sean Lee doesn't make the same mistake twice and is expected to start next week and perhaps even the following week in place of Keith Brooking who will sit the rest of the preseason with a mild sprain of the AC joint in his right shoulder.

On the difference between the NFL game versus college:

LEE: It's a big difference. Some of those linemen I was going against were bigger and a lot faster. I remember one play on a toss, in college I would have been able to run past the guard, this time I had to really go. I took a false step and he was able to block me.

On talking to himself after plays:

LEE: I've been trying for years to get rid of that. For me, when I make a mistake I usually know right off the bat what I have done. So I'm yelling at myself saying, "You knew what you had to do, why did you mess up". I probably should work on that. There are usually a few words that my mom wouldn't like along with it.

On being his biggest critic:

LEE: I've always been my biggest critic. I've always been hard on myself and I think that's why I have gotten better each year I've played.

On replacing Keith Brooking in the starting lineup:

LEE: It's a good opportunity for me. You know "Brook" is going to be back playing great come the season but right now I have the chance to get a lot of reps, to get better and prepare myself for the season.

On how he played in Saturday's game:

LEE: I thought when I first got in a made a few plays and did well. I'll tell you, my conditioning needs to improve a little bit. As I got tired I got a little bit high (on leverage) and some of those linemen drove me out of holes.

On getting reps with the first team:

LEE: The speed of the game is a lot faster. You are playing against better players, guys who have been in the NFL for a while and it's tough. There is no room for a mistake, there is no room for false steps, there is no room for false reads. These guys are really talented.

Top Bottom