Reaction score
April, 26, 2012
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys moved up in the NFL draft and selected the best cornerback in the draft in getting Morris Claiborne with the sixth overall pick on Thursday night.

The Cowboys traded the 14th pick and the 45th overall (second round) picks with the St. Louis Rams for the sixth pick.

It was the 59th draft day trade since 1989, the first year that Jerry Jones became owner/general manager.

Claiborne, 5-11, 188 pounds, was a two-year starter out of LSU who many scouts say he's a smooth athlete with good footwork and balance.

In Claiborne's final season at LSU, he was named SEC Defensive Player of the Year and won the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation's best defensive back. Claiborne finished the season with six interceptions and six pass breakups. He also returned one pick for a touchdown. He also returned kickoff, averaging 25.1 yards per return. He decided to skip his senior season and leave LSU for the draft.

Adding Claiborne brings some depth to a secondary that was beaten up in 2011.

In free agency the Cowboys signed Brandon Carr to a five-year contract to go along with Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick. Jenkins is in the final year of his contract and is seeking a long-term deal. But with Claiborne on the roster now, it will be interesting to see how Jenkins reacts to the move.

Last season, Jenkins finished with a just one interception but was tied with Terence Newman with 10 pass breakups. Jenkins played through knee and shoulder injuries last season.

The Cowboys were projected to get Alabama safety Mark Barron, but they bypassed him to get the cornerback. Barron went to Tampa Bay with the seventh overall pick.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
I had no idea it was even remotly possible to get this guy. Anyone with an issue with this pick needs to go fuck themselves. A no brainer.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I had no idea it was even remotly possible to get this guy. Anyone with an issue with this pick needs to go fuck themselves. A no brainer.

Pretty much agree...we got one fo the top players in the draft...nothing wrong with adding great players

wasnt like we pulled a Ditka or something either...we still have 6 picks

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just watched his highlight films, and I came away... underwhelmed. I don't see the hype that is being heaped and that is worth what we gave up. Just being honest. I want to be impressed because he's on the Cowboys now, but I just don't see it.

Reaction score
I just watched his highlight films, and I came away... underwhelmed. I don't see the hype that is being heaped and that is worth what we gave up. Just being honest. I want to be impressed because he's on the Cowboys now, but I just don't see it.
Of course you don't. But it's not because you want to be impressed.

Reaction score
‏ @richiewhitt

#Cowboys' CB Morris Claiborne sucked on the Wonderlic. His response: "I didn't see any football questions so I just blew the test off."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

dont know what you are looking at then, because people have been loving him for two+ years now

Reaction score
@armenontheair

Claiborne: "Everyone is a #Cowboys fan ... To be a part of America's team is awesome."

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Of course you don't. But it's not because you want to be impressed.

He's a Cowboys now. I'll root for him. That does not mean I got to like every m,ove the Cowboys make. I just hope the rest of the draft plays out better asnd we seriously address some needs.

I guess the one good thing is that Campo won't be coaching him.

Reaction score
Claiborn going to wear #24.

Suprised Jerry didnt' try some marketing BS and give him 21.

Top Bottom