dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Fianlly here, Christmas in April. Absolutely love the draft and think its one of the best sports events of the year.

Yesterday we looked at the disgraces of the Jones era, today we look at what went right.

QB- Troy Aikman: One of the best of all time, changed the course of the franchise the day he was drafted. They dont make em like Aikman anymore.

RB- Emmitt Smith: Ditto. One of the greatest players ever. Unstoppable even though everyone knew what our plays were going to be. Great all around skills, could do it all.

FB- Darryl "Moose" Johnson: Another winner. Tremendous lead blocker and had some of the best hands ever for a true FB.

WR-Alvin Harper: Not a ton to pick from in terms of great WR's under Jones' tenure, but Harper had a knack for big plays and came up big in the postseason in 92 & 93. I'll always remember him for how he left though, he's dead to me now.

WR- Dez Bryant: All the talent in the world, has displayed tremendous playmaking ability since day one. Needs to focus on the little things, but can clearly be a Michael Irvin type player.

TE- Jason Witten: Will go down as one of the best ever. Do it all TE who has no weakness in his game

T- Tyron Smith: Only been here a year and hasnt even lined up at LT yet, but obviously was a winner pick. Guy should have probably made the probowl as a rookie, and will be a fixture there over the rest of his career.

T- Erik Williams: Big E would have had a Hall of Fame type career if not for the devastating knee injury. From 1992-midseason in 1994, no OL was more dominant on the field. Only player I ever saw own Reggie White, and he did it over and over. Was still a very good player after returning from injury in 1995.

G- Larry Allen: Best, and most dominant OL I have ever seen. Played every position except C and made all pro at G and LT. Total domination of opposing DL's and LB's.

G: Andre Gurode: OK so his best years were at C, but I cant have two C's. Was still a tremendous pick and multiple probowler. Honorable mention for David DeCastro, who we will draft tonight and he'll spend the next decade next to Tyron Smith as best left side of line duo in NFL. Hey Bob :effyou

C: Mark Stepnoski: Great value pick, undersized but played with tremendous leverage and technique. Multiple probowler

DE: Tony Tolbert: Another great value pick, had a rock solid career. Quiet leader was good against the run and the pass.

DE: Greg Ellis: Always trashed for being the guy we picked instaed of Moss, all he did was produce on bad teams and was actually one of the best 1st rd picks of the 1998 draft. Solid vs the run and pass and made the conversion to 3-4 OLB. Came back from two major injuries and played well after both.

OLB- DeMarcus Ware: Probably the best defensive player in football, should have at least one, if not two DPOY awards already. Perennial probowler.

OLB: Dexter Coakley: Undersized and vastly underrated. Was the model of consistency on the field, was also the focus of year in and year out "trade Coakley" threads.

LB: Randall Godfrey: Couldnt afford to keep him (cap) after a great start to his career in Dallas. Was physical vs the run and a very good blitzer.

LB: Dat Nguyen: Either Godfrey or Nguyen will probably be bumped off by Sean Lee after this season, but Nguyen was another underrated, quality producer on more bad teams than good. Great leader in the lockerroom too.

CB: Kevin Smith: Tremendous start to his career, was well on his way to being one of the best CB's in football before the dreaded achilles injury vs NYG in season opener of 1995. Was never quite the same after, but from 92-94 he was one of the top CB's in football and owned Jerry Rice during those matchups like few others could.

CB: Terence Newman: Oft under-appreciated or even ridiculed, statistically was one of the best CB's in football from the time he was drafted. Very good all around CB. Should have made more probowls.

S: Darren Woodson: Another one of the alltime best players at his position. Changed the way safeties were looked at in terms of the passing game. Fierce hitter, but had the cover skills of a top notch CB. Tremendous work ethic and lockerroom leader, like Aikman and Emmitt above, they just dont make them like Woody anymore.

S: Roy Williams: Appeared headed for greatness initially, tremendous lights out hitter, physical vs the run and pass. Had a knack for the football and made alot of big plays on defense and special teams. Career mysteriously went south after broken off engagement and finding religeon. Will probably be replaced in a year or two after we draft Mark Barron tonight, and Barron makes a career out of going to probowls and making all pro teams Hey Mid and Sheik :effyou

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cr122

All thanks to Jimmy Johnson for most of those players drafted.

:sneaky:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
All thanks to Jimmy Johnson for most of those players drafted.

:sneaky:

9 of the 22, pretty amazing. And several of them went on to being some of the best players of all time at their position.

Reaction score
I'd make the following changes:

Brock Marion over Roy Williams
Mario Edwards over Terrence Newman
Sean Lee over Randall Godfrey

Reaction score
As an aside... it's draft day. Is anyone else really not that excited?

I'm just sort of blah about the whole thing.

Maybe because the idea of Mark Barron to Dallas depresses me.

Maybe because deep down, I know Jerry doesn't really have any idea what he's doing.

I don't know. I'm just not really amped for tonight at all.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I always get amped up. I know I set myself up for disappointment, but dammit, it's the draft. Jerry can't take that from me!

What's that? We picked Poe?

Fuck this team! I'm never watching the fucking draft again!

Reaction score

Maybe because deep down, I know Jerry doesn't really have any idea what he's doing.

The draft is always a let down for me. We spend all this time going over who we might take, doing mock drafts, etc. Then when the draft actually gets here, no one really knows what's going to happen, and every year we take a few head scratchers. Sure, I'm interested in the first round and where a few specific players end up going in the later rounds, but it's not worth all the angst beforehand IMO.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

so do yourself and all of us a favor then, throw yourself in front of a speeding mack truck on the interstate

the sooner the better

Reaction score
Glue is an adhesive and coke is a refreshing beverage. You don't sniff either. Gaw you're stupid.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The draft is always a let down for me. We spend all this time going over who we might take, doing mock drafts, etc. Then when the draft actually gets here, no one really knows what's going to happen, and every year we take a few head scratchers. Sure, I'm interested in the first round and where a few specific players end up going in the later rounds, but it's not worth all the angst beforehand IMO.
Same here. The fun of the draft for me is watching players during the college year and picking out players you think will be good pros, or guys who are overrated. The reading of a zillion mock drafts a day and worshipping the internet draft gurus blogging from mom's basement wears me out.

All this hoopla, and when you do draft someone, you don't even know if they can play until late summer at the very earliest. I'll watch because it's interesting to see what happens with the other teams, and the inevitable surprise picks and trades, but in the end we'll probably get three guys who can actually play out of the whole process.

Doesn't help that Goodell split the thing into three pieces, either. All this buildup and after tonight we'll have one player. The old way was way better.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score

you made this same post about training camp and then the opening game!

do you just like the discussion more than the actual event or something?

And I am really excited. Not just for the draft, but that all these fake ass draft expert, insider, blogger, rumor horse shit will be over. The only thing left for these no nothings is there draft grades and the inital bitching.

after that, Its baseball in the spotlight and training camp on the horizon.

but I love that all the draft crap is over, I hate the terms board, sliding, rising, falling, red flag, hips, mayocks vocal delivery..etc.etc..

Top Bottom