Reaction score
Made it through the third or fourth chapter.

Anyway...

There was a lot of good information in there regarding out 1992 draft and our throught process in that draft.

Most interesting to me was Jimmy Johnson's thoughts, which were quoted. Now, we all know Skip Bayless now to be a complete hack. And maybe he was then too and some of this is fabricated. But IMO, there's a huge difference between his The Boys book and his Hell Bent book, which chronocled the 1995 season. Part of me thinks me may have morphed into the character he is post The Boys, during Hell Bent, and throughout his media days from then to present.

Nevertheless...

Of that 1992 draft, according to Skip and backed up by alledged quotes from Jimmy.... Jimmy loved Sean Gilbert in that draft. Jimmy correctly pegged the first two picks (Indy taking Entman & Coryatt) and had discussed a trade with the Rams to get the #3 pick overall and land Gilbert.

But, according to Jimmy, he didn't do it because (1) he felt that landing Gilbert would prevent the Cowboys from seeing what they had in their young lineman (specifically Maryland & Jimmie Jones).

And Jimmy also said (paraphrasing) "What good would Sean Gilbert do with the Lions throwing 5 yard outs up and down the field? We need to improve coverage on the team."

Went on to discuss how Jimmy ranked the three top corners in that draft (Buckley, Vincent, and Smith). Jimmy had Buckley #1, with Smith slightly ahead of Vincent. And how they gambled trading back to 19 believing Smith would be on the board, but then traded ahead of San Fran (18) because they knew the 9'rs wanted secondary help. We took Kevin Smith, 9;ers took safety Dana Hall.

Anywhooo....

We keep hearing Poe, Brockers, Cox and others.

Could it be that that Jason Garrett, who is still close and confides/consults with Jimmy, has a similar mindset?

Could Jason see the fast paced offenses of New Orleans/Green Bay, plus the success Eli has had passing against us when it matters, and places an emphasis more on coverage than say the Dline?

Which, of course, brings Barron into the fold.

But then there's Stephens recent comments that for a S to go this high, he needs to excel in coverage. Barron has question marks there.

In February, Rob Ryan goes to the Senior Bowl and says he's only looking at DB's.

Recent article points out how when Rob Ryan teams go defense in Rd 1, it's in the secondary (2 corners, 1 free safety).

Mike Jenkins going into last year, Scandrick best suited for slot.

And of course, while they don't coach same defense.... Rex Ryans defense showcases Antonio Cromartie and Darrell Revis... and then they STILL took Kyle Wilson, CB, in the first from Boise State in the 2010 draft.

Could it be that Kirkpatrick is our guy?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good stuff, man.

I also remember Jimmy saying that draft was the one time when he drafted for need. He said he knew it was risky to do that, but we simply had to have a corner. So he took Smith, who of course turned out to be a great pick.

You might be right about us wanting coverage guys over, say, a D-lineman. But personally, I think it's Ryan and not Garrett making the primary call.

Anyway, I still think Kirkpatrick is the sleeper possibility that no one is talking about. You heard his name a lot very, very early in the process from the local media like Broaddus, then didn't hear it at all. Maybe that's not a coincidence? I dunno, but he's the kind of big, physical corner that I think Ryan prefers.

Reaction score
I was huge on Kirkpatricks bandwagon early in the process. Drug arrest threw me off, but I'm softening on that.

The one difference between that 1992 team and this team in this scenario is that that team had talented youth and depth along the Dline. Russel Maryland was the #1 overall pick the year before. We had Tony Tolbert. Charles Haley was a monster. etc.

This team is pretty void of talent along the Dline.

Spears is just another guy.
Hatcher is more one dimentional.
Lissemore is a low-pedigree effort guy.
Ratliff is undersized at NT and has a game predicated on speed, but he's not getting younger.
Clifton Geathers is a potential guy, but really, I don't expect much from him.
And Josh Brent is like a trash can full of dirt, but he's not going to give you much as a pass rusher or collapsing the pocket.

So a talent injection is definitely needed there.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
God damn it. We're only 30 some hours away from the draft, and now you have to plant these Kirkpatrick thoughts in my head?

Harsh.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
the end of our 91 season showed we had two problems.

Pass rush and pass coverage.

The end of the 11 season showed us we have numerous problems but the worst area was pass coverage. We have a new db coach who did good work with young corners in cleveland with rob ryan.

I wont be suprised if we go corner, pass rusher or lineman, corner in the first two rounds...or three.

like norm keeps saying, If you drafted two guards last year and signed two in free agency its too many resources to throw another premium pick at guard.....

but even saying that, if they are all average and decastro could be excellent I think you overlook all that....

oh and yesterday when stephen jones was on the radio with marc elfenbein he was really defensive about anthony spencer and said all the stuff that has been said about him is wrong and that he is an excellent player and they expect him to have a great year......seemed really irritated about what fans and media say about him.

so maybe spencer is going to get a long term deal and they are going to try and fix this secondary and dont need another olb.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
By '92, it was clear that guys like Ike Holt and Ray Horton, while valuable, just weren't cutting it as starters. Even though K Smith was a superior talent, it took Jimmy a long time to name him the starter.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
By '92, it was clear that guys like Ike Holt and Ray Horton, while valuable, just weren't cutting it as starters. Even though K Smith was a superior talent, it took Jimmy a long time to name him the starter.

that giants game at texas stadium in 91 (which aikman claims is his favorite game ever) saw holt get beat for nearly all of hostetler's 400 yards passing until the final drive where he picked him off in the endzone...

unfortunately him and larry brown against the lions in january didnt end the same!

Reaction score

Well, Kevin Smith was injured at the start of camp that year also.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
another angle of this is, les miles is a buddy of jerry. Parcells still has jerry's ear. We need d-lineman. Rob Ryan like parcells likes the big lineman.

the giants and eagles pushed us around late in the year.

Brockers makes alot of sense.

Reaction score
On a side note, Larry Brown was a worthless piece of shit. He's managed to use that sb MVP to stay relevant for over 15 years now.

Should be in jail for robbing the Cowboys and Raiders.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, Kevin Smith was injured at the start of camp that year also.

But he didn't even start the NFC Champ Game at Frisco. Holt did, and he was immediately burned for a TD that was thankfully called back.

Reaction score
Training camp extended through the NFC title game back in those days.

Learn the history of the league, dumbass.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
[video=youtube;Rgv346q_7gk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgv346q_7gk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Pity about that Achilles injury, from which he never truly recovered. Smith was quite the talent.

Reaction score
BTW, was it the 92 or 93 NFC title game where Kevin Smith got into Jerry Rice's head? I seem to recall reading that Smith was out there running his mouth, popping Jerry late, all kinds of shit.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Excellent post, Midtwat.

We did sign Carr though.. so maybe that was our upgrade there?

I'm thinking less Kirkpatrick and more Barron in the first... Reason being this draft seems thick at CB in rounds 2 and 3, not so much for Safety. In the third I could see us taking a corner there. Possibly DL in the 2nd...

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
BTW, was it the 92 or 93 NFC title game where Kevin Smith got into Jerry Rice's head? I seem to recall reading that Smith was out there running his mouth, popping Jerry late, all kinds of shit.

'93. Both teams were jawing before the game.

Top Bottom