Reaction score
Jerry Jones prefers not drafting OL with first pick
March, 27, 2012

By Calvin Watkins
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- The Cowboys have signed offensive linemen Mackenzy Bernadeau and Nate Livings in free agency this offseason, so owner/general manger Jerry Jones said the team's first round pick, 14th overall, might not revolve around getting another.

"Well, yes, but we probably wouldn’t prefer that. I wouldn’t," he said. "That would keep us from maybe having to pick a top [defensive] player there in the first round and the offensive line. I did it both ways. It left us totally flexible there. You might want to move down and pick up a player that’s going to be there rather than being at your 14th -- you might not have been able to do that had you not had the success that we had in free agency."

Jones said he's confident in the fact center Phil Costa (undersized at 6-3, 314 pounds), would be surrounded by Bernadeau and Livings, and that would help him have a much better 2012 season.

Costa might get more competition at that spot from not only Kevin Kowalski but Bill Nagy as well. Nagy started the first four games of the 2011 season before suffering a season-ending ankle injury.

"Jason [Garrett] is right. The competition is a big part of why Costa should have success here and why he ought to be better," Jones said. "There is some competition here.

It gives us great depth."

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
...Jones said he's confident in the fact center Phil Costa (undersized at 6-3, 314 pounds), would be surrounded by Bernadeau and Livings, and that would help him have a much better 2012 season.

..."Jason [Garrett] is right. The competition is a big part of why Costa should have success here and why he ought to be better," Jones said. "There is some competition here.

It gives us great depth."

Shoot me now.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think Jerry has a front office of scouts and coaches that tell him what he wants to hear.

Reaction score
Default Clarence Hill says we like Poe and D players. Not interested in Guard.

According to Clarence Hill Jr.

Jerry Jones said they are inclined not to take a guard (Decastro) at 14 because of what they did in free agency.But would take CB, LB, DE,DT

Jerry Jones said the Cowboys are very impressed and intrigued by Memphis DT Dontari Poe. They have done there homework on him and like him.

Jerry Jones said there is a chance the could trade out of 14. If they stayed there they would more than likely target a defensive player

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
DeCastor lovers. Better hope and pray that there is a tie and that the scouts want DeCastro.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Really cant blame the team for wanting to upgrade the defense (if thats what they picked early), afterall it did lose multiple games late with the lead

That's fine, but it's another thing entirely to think that Livings and Bernadeau have fixed our o-line problems.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd love to see us draft DeCastro too, but there ARE other quality OL's available in this draft. Bill Callahan seems to be spending alot of time working alot of them out, I dont think he'd be wasting his time doing it if somebody had already decided there was no need to draft any OL

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Smarter to go with with the sure thing (DeCastro) over a bunch of maybes (Ingram, Upshaw, Coples, Poe).

Don't worry. If we end up drafting DeCastro, Hostile errrr I mean dbair, will be telling us how brilliant Jerry was all these months to smokescreen everyone.

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
here's a little tid bit I found

Stanford O-Line coach Mike Bloomgren worked with Cowboys O-Line coach Bill Callahan for 3 seasons when both were assistants with the Jets.

C

Cr122

Looks like we are drafting Upshaw.

I hope it isn't Kirkpatick or Barron though at 14.

Give me Fletcher Cox, Dontari Poe over any of them.

No DeCastro for us. Shit. Leave it up to Jerry to fuck everything up.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Looks like we are drafting Upshaw.

I hope it isn't Kirkpatick or Barron though at 14.

Give me Fletcher Cox, Dontari Poe over any of them.

No DeCastro for us. Shit. Leave it up to Jerry to fuck everything up.

If they are going with an Alabama player at #14, then I hope it IS Kirkpatrick.

Top Bottom