Reaction score
He's a great follow if you're on twitter. Informative, and takes time to answer questions.

@BryanBroaddus

Bryan Broaddus ‏
@newbury1310 My last draft was '05. It was the questions that got Manningham. You are right about the gamer part.

DCUforums
How'd you leave after our best draft in probably 10-15 years?

BryanBroaddus
@DCUforums @newbury1310 Parcells didn't want me back and Ireland took over for my boss so he brought his own guy. Part of the business.

@DCUforums
@BryanBroaddus Shoulda told him you were from Joisey. Difference in philosophies? Conflict over players?

@BryanBroaddus
@DCUforums I enjoyed fighting him on players, he didn't. It was my job. To his credit he was right on several, but wrong also wrong too.

@DCUforums
@BryanBroaddus He seemed overrated as a talent evaluator, IMO. Carpenter. Rogers. Agnew over Glenn in NE.

@BryanBroaddus
@DCUforums He was right about Jason Witten. Give him full credit. He fought me hard against Charles Woodson. Al Davis poisoned him. Shame.

DCUforums ‏
@BryanBroaddus You didn't like Witten? I thought we were fools for passing on him in 2nd. Shocked we landed him in third.

Bryan Broaddus ‏
@DCUforums No we all loved Witten. Bill just had the vision of him that you see today as a player. Jacob Rogers he did not. All on him.

DCUforums ‏
@BryanBroaddus Yeah, I heard there were scouts threatening to quit over the Rogers selection. Thanks for your time w/ team!

Bryan Broaddus ‏
@DCUforums I am sorry we didn't do better. I grew up here, family had season tickets until I went to work in GB. It was a dream job...

DCUforums ‏
@BryanBroaddus No apologies neccessary. Handicapped by fraud GM and coaches unable to develop talent. I'm a big fan of yours.

Bryan Broaddus ‏
@DCUforums Naw man, we sucked. Couldn't find a QB and missed on way too many picks. Just not good football, no one else to blame.

DCUforums ‏
@BryanBroaddus Didnt you have QC rated as a 4th, but JJ thought him a McNabb clone and took him in 2nd?

Bryan Broaddus ‏
@DCUforums College scouts had QC right, all the negative things we knew. Jerry listened to his college coach He cleared the room + made call

DCUforums ‏
@BryanBroaddus Jerry is this teams own worst enemy. Thoughts on Stephen? Seems smart and lacking his dads ego. Think he'll hire real GM?

Bryan Broaddus ‏
@DCUforums Stephen had a great deal of respect from Parcells. Always asks the right questions. Really challenges the scouts. Smart man.

DCUforums ‏
@BryanBroaddus Encouraging. I hate to say it, but I feel like we're hopeless until Jerry is "retired." High hopes SJ will be better.

Bryan Broaddus ‏
@DCUforums Stephen will do an outstanding job on day. He can't put out all the fires but he sure tries.

Reaction score
It is so frustrating to hear repeatedly that Jerry disregards what his scouts tell him sometimes, and picks players on his own.

Reaction score
What I don't understand is, if Parcells knew Witten was going to be as good as he has turned out to be, why DID we pass on him in the 2nd?

Because I remember that Al Johnson was a Parcells pick. He wanted Gurode at guard, and said we needed a center.

I should've asked that. Oh well. I'm tired and going to bed now. Maybe another time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You missed one:

Sdogo
@BryanBroaddus Hi Bryan, its me sdogo. I was hoping we could compare notes.

Bryan Broaddus ‏
@Sdogo WTF.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What I don't understand is, if Parcells knew Witten was going to be as good as he has turned out to be, why DID we pass on him in the 2nd?

Because I remember that Al Johnson was a Parcells pick. He wanted Gurode at guard, and said we needed a center.

I should've asked that. Oh well. I'm tired and going to bed now. Maybe another time.

Yeah I never understood that either. Witten was actually projected to go late 1st by some people, I couldnt believe we got lucky to see him available where we picked in the 2nd. Then took Al Johnson.

Getting him in thr 3rd was one of the biggest strokes of draft luck we ever had. TE's that went before Witten in 2003:

Dallas Clark, 24th to Colts. Bennie Joppru 41st to Houston, LJ Smith 61st to Philly, Teyo Johnson 63rd to Oakland

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Well he didn't *know* Witten was going to be that good any more than he knew Anthony Becht or Fasano (first and second round picks) would be JAGs.

I've heard him say that Parcells mostly stepped back that first draft to evaluate everyone and the whole operation and didn't really do everything until 2004.

He drops a lot of little nuggets :awkward about those days on his Saturday show on ESPN Dallas if you can stand listening to him and McMahon.

dbair1967 said:
Getting him in thr 3rd was one of the biggest strokes of draft luck we ever had. TE's that went before Witten in 2003:

Dallas Clark, 24th to Colts. Bennie Joppru 41st to Houston, LJ Smith 61st to Philly, Teyo Johnson 63rd to Oakland
I remember seeing Joppru and Witten in 2003 when we practiced them before we scrimmaged at the Alamodome, and it was so obvious Witten was better. Joppru looked fat and slow. Witten as we know doesn't have much agility, but when he got going in one direction he was surprisingly fast for as big as he was (and is).

Last edited:

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
you have to remember broaddus hates parcells and always says negative things about him, gaine and ireland.

by the way it was brian gaine who took his job and almost immediately got on jerry's bad side with that horrible 06 free agent class.

I have read enough of broaddus to know that he loves to poke at parcells and ireland but doesnt talk much about how he was part of maybe the worst era of cowboys football we have had. he was a big part in those terrible drafts.

i appreciate his openess with the fans, but his constant bashing of parcells over wanting merriman etc..is boring.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not to defend the guy, theebs, but he really doesn't bash Parcells anymore from what I hear. I don't know if he's mellowed or what, but now he always takes responsibility for those bad days (maybe too much, as he was just one guy).

The only things I've heard him say he really disagreed with Parcells about is on the Woodson thing like he mentioned here, and that he said we should've signed Wahle instead of Marco Rivera. But that's about it. I always hear him give Parcells big credit for turning things around here.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not to defend the guy, theebs, but he really doesn't bash Parcells anymore from what I hear. I don't know if he's mellowed or what, but now he always takes responsibility for those bad days (maybe too much, as he was just one guy).

The only things I've heard him say he really disagreed with Parcells about is on the Woodson thing like he mentioned here, and that he said we should've signed Wahle instead of Marco Rivera. But that's about it. I always hear him give Parcells big credit for turning things around here.

Well that's good to hear. I am just tired of hearing how he wanted Woodson and wahle and Bp didn't. I mean, so what. Everybody makes some bad personnel decisions. He told the story one time about how he was on board with taking all those corners in 2000. So if your not going to harp on that every two seconds, why do it over not signing free agent charles Woodson.

I stopped listening to that station all together basically and only follow archer on twitter. I just can't stand the rest of those guys over there, if Watkins is one of your main guys I am not going to listen or read any of it...

Reaction score
Weird... I see nothing but him taking blame for that bad era, and him defending Parcells in the above twitter exchange.

I even offered an "out" mentioned the horrid GM and bad coaches, and he deflected that.

Not sure where your gripe lies Theebs.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wouldn't have signed Quinthy as a free agent. There's I'm letting that on the team much less be the face of the organization.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
It is so frustrating to hear repeatedly that Jerry disregards what his scouts tell him sometimes, and picks players on his own.

I wonder if he still does this? I still have some hope that the Parcells years may have cured him of some of this.

However, I still think he listens to the last guy who has his ear. May rely on the coaches too much (from most accounts, guys like AOA and Jason Williams were Wade picks). But he does make the occasional seat of his pants decision. You can't tell me the Roy Williams trade didn't have his fingerprints all over it.

That's the problem with having a GM with no football evaluation background or skills. If the scouts say one thing and the coaches say another, the GM should be able to assess the information and make a decision. Same thing if you have guys equally rated when your pick comes up.

Top Bottom