dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
1) David DeCastro G Stanford: He will be the highest rated player on the board, and we will take him if he's there. Will start next to Tyron Smith for a decade, and both will make multiple probowls.

2) Dwayne Allen TE Clemson: I'm sure some will piss and moan, but when you play over 1/3 of your snaps from two TE sets, the 2nd TE is a psuedo starter. Allen is probably the best all around TE prospect in this draft and unlike Bennett, brings a tremendous attitude and work ethic along with quality talent.

3) Billy Wynn DE Boise St: Need more talent at the DE spot. Might be good enough to start very early on for us, probably bumps Coleman off the roster.

4) Jonathan Massaquoi OLB Troy: Pass rusher from a school thats producing quality pass rush talent lately. Upgrades depth and rotates with Spencer mostly on passing downs.

5a) Antonio Allen S South Carolina: Quality depth at S, potential starter down the road.

5b) BJ Coleman QB Chatanooga: We'll get a comp pick for losing Bowen, I've seen anywhere from 4th-6th rd. Garrett will love Coleman's big arm and work ethic. Developmental guy who might be ready in 2-3 seasons.

6) Josh Robinson CB UCF: Need more talent at CB spot.

7) Brandon Lindsey OLB Pittsburgh: Competes with Victor Butler for final OLB spot. Need more pass rushers.

C

Cr122

Yeah, Robinson is a good corner he'll be long gone. I'm gonna do another mock here just before the draft.

I want to see what else we do in free agency if we do anything at all.

Reaction score
I prefer the mock in my sig, but I really like your first & third.

Regarding Allen... whats his story? Is he more a pass catching TE?

I don't think we're going to target TE who is known more as a receiver than a blocker, early in the draft. I think we're going to want our 2nd TE to be a great blocker.

Does Allen fit that mold?

Reaction score
I heart Billy Winn. He's a guy I really like, and I wanted to squeeze him into my mock but considering I'm on the Cox train, I figured two DE's in the top 3 rounds might be too much, considering how we just signed Hatcher, Spears, and the team really likes Lissemore, as well as the likelihood of Ratliff getting some end time as well.

Wouldn't suprise me one bit if Winn is an early 2nd round selection come this time next month.

C

Cr122

Dewayne Allen is an excellent blocking tight end. He'd be a good fit for what we're looking for.

Reaction score
I know a 2nd TE would offer a lot of versatility to the offense, but man, I'd really rather just sign Pope from KC and go another direcetion in round 2.

Also, Phillips is adequate.

C

Cr122

I know a 2nd TE would offer a lot of versatility to the offense, but man, I'd really rather just sign Pope from KC and go another direcetion in round 2.

Also, Phillips is adequate.

I agree, I think we should just stay away from tight end in the draft.

We could still have Vickers in there with two tight end set of Witten and Phillips.

We know Vickers can block well.

C

Cr122

Not going to click it.
Best I can do from my phone, sorry.

Fantasy Rookie Profiles: TE Dwayne Allen

Posted on February 20, 2012
Measurables and Stats:
Dwayne Allen TE, JR. Clemson
Height: 6′ 4″ Weight: 255 lbs. 40 Time: 4.76
Stats:
2011 Season Receiving
RECYDSAVGTD
Overview:
Dwayne Allen is a tight end with H-back skills but also posses the size and blocking skills to contribute in the running game. In today’s NFL, the tight end position has changed in the same way that the running back position has changed. Most NFL teams have a two back system and now teams are moving to a two tight end system. There are seam threat tight ends (smaller H-back types) and then bigger tight ends which are valued more because of their blocking ability than their pass catching ability. Then you have a handful that contribute in both phases at high levels. Those guys stay on the field in all offensive situations. That’s important because I put Allen in that dual category. It means he’ll be on the field on most downs, regardless of whether it’s a pass or goaline situation. Allen has possesses good hands, though at times he drops a few balls. Most of his drops come due to concentration and allowing himself to become a body catcher. His route running is a bit on the raw side, but he does excel at moving well after the catch. In fact, he can rival wide receivers with his run after catch abilities. He has some technical and fundamental issues but none of that concerns me at the next level. NFL coaches can easily fix those problems. Overall, Allen is one of the most gifted dual threat tight ends that’s entered the draft the last few years.
Best Fit:
San Diego Chargers (1.18): With the issues of age, health, and expensive details of tight end Antonio Gates, this has now become a need for the Chargers. Problem is the Chargers have many needs, but a forward thinking GM cannot ignore the reality and impact of what losing a future hall of fame tight end will have on the offense.
Chicago Bears (1.19): The Bears traded away their talented tight end (Greg Olsen) to the Carolina Panthers last year for a 2012 3rd round pick. They did this because Olsen didn’t fit the Mike Martz system. A year later, Martz is gone and boy could they use an Olsen type tight end now. This is now a need for the Bears. But they also need a wide receiver. At any rate, the depth chart and new offense dictates the tight end is a major need.
New York Giants (1.32): If by chance Allen slips down to the final pick of round one, I’d be surprised but not shocked. I know the Giants like Jake Ballard, but I wouldn’t pass up a chance to give Eli Manning a seam threat tight end to go along with his tremendous talent at wide receiver. This addition could potentially make the Giants offense one the top tier of NFL offenses.
Fantasy Forecast:
Allen has all the traits to be a very good fantasy tight end. While he’s not as dominant as some of tight ends that were drafted in the 2010 draft class (mainly Rob Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham), but he’s still one most talented tight ends that’s come out since then. He’s bigger and more complete of a tight end than Aaron Hernandez (another outstanding member of the 2010 draft class) because he moves just as fluid, but is closer in size to a prototypical tight end. I project Allen’s fantasy ceiling to TE 1, and feel quite confident he’ll reach that potential. He’s someone I’m personally targeting in one of my dynasty leagues where I have tight end issues.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Like picks 1st, 3rd---although I wouldn't make that, and 5a. However, I would prefer Winn in the 3rd over Cox in the 1st.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think Robinson will go about 3 rounds before.

Yeah I know some players might go before I have them, I havent done enough studying yet on where each of them are projected to fall. I think I used CBSSportsline for educated guesses on where some of them will fall.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I prefer the mock in my sig, but I really like your first & third.

Regarding Allen... whats his story? Is he more a pass catching TE?

I don't think we're going to target TE who is known more as a receiver than a blocker, early in the draft. I think we're going to want our 2nd TE to be a great blocker.

Does Allen fit that mold?

Allen caught alot of passes for Clemson this past yr, probably has the best combination of size, receiving skill, blocking potential of any of the early round TE's. Also has a great work ethic and attitude according to their coaches.

Last edited:

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Surprisingly, I don't hate it.

Id rather take a TE a round or two later, but I could live with this draft.

Top Bottom