superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
any chance this is a move toward that?

Theoretically he and Lee are a nice Sam and Mike, Carter easily playing the will. Ware and Spencer college DEs.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
any chance this is a move toward that?

Theoretically he and Lee are a nice Sam and Mike, Carter easily playing the will. Ware and Spencer college DEs.

Its possible. We know Lee and can play MLB, he could probably play strong OLB too. Carter would be an ideal weakside OLB. Connor could play MLB or strong OLB, though supposedly he has limitations in coverage.

I dont think they'd change the scheme though unless they got a legit LDE in the draft. Someone like Coples for instance.

wyvrn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
They won't because of their DC. It would be unfair to Ryan who runs the 3-4 a year after hiring him.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Its possible. We know Lee and can play MLB, he could probably play strong OLB too. Carter would be an ideal weakside OLB. Connor could play MLB or strong OLB, though supposedly he has limitations in coverage.

I dont think they'd change the scheme though unless they got a legit LDE in the draft. Someone like Coples for instance.

more dependent upon getting a DT imo. We have guys who can play end, it ain't that hard.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
We already have flexibility to use the 4-3 we ran some of it last year.

I don't understand why so many think a switch would be such a huge difference we run a lot of 4 man lines in nickel situations already.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We already have flexibility to use the 4-3 we ran some of it last year.

I don't understand why so many think a switch would be such a huge difference we run a lot of 4 man lines in nickel situations already.

I think it makes us alot more athletic on the field. Just getting fucking Kenyon Coleman and Spears off the field is enough of a reason. Not to mention that you remove Spencer and Ware from playing in space ever.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I think it makes us alot more athletic on the field. Just getting fucking Kenyon Coleman and Spears off the field is enough of a reason. Not to mention that you remove Spencer and Ware from playing in space ever.

You can get Coleman and Spears off the field in other ways we still have the draft and money left over in FA.

You can also stop Spencer and Ware from playing in coverage by the LB's you have brought in, I think Conner and Carter will both take over some of Spencer's coverage responsibilities.

I just think a total defensive change is needed would rather keep things flexible and upgrade the talent all around.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
more dependent upon getting a DT imo. We have guys who can play end, it ain't that hard.

Spencer wouldnt be a very good DE, maybe if he was just a rotation guy, but he'd probably get exposed bigtime if he had to lne up down in a 4-3. Hatcher and Spears could play LDE, but neither gives you enough pass rush from that spot.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You can get Coleman and Spears off the field in other ways we still have the draft and money left over in FA.

You can also stop Spencer and Ware from playing in coverage by the LB's you have brought in, I think Conner and Carter will both take over some of Spencer's coverage responsibilities.

I just think a total defensive change is needed would rather keep things flexible and upgrade the talent all around.

obv this is talking about base defenses not substitution packages.

right now we need to replace our DEs, and hope/pray that Lissemore can spell Ratliff enough to make him really effective again. We shift schemes boom we only need a DT maybe even not if Lissemore is dat dude.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Spencer wouldnt be a very good DE, maybe if he was just a rotation guy, but he'd probably get exposed bigtime if he had to lne up down in a 4-3. Hatcher and Spears could play LDE, but neither gives you enough pass rush from that spot.

disagree, think Spencer would be a better DE than OLB. Give him nothing to think about.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
obv this is talking about base defenses not substitution packages.

right now we need to replace our DEs, and hope/pray that Lissemore can spell Ratliff enough to make him really effective again. We shift schemes boom we only need a DT maybe even not if Lissemore is dat dude.

I don't believe that asking your best player to switch positions and add punishment to fis body at this point in his carrer is wise move.

Yes Ware could be effective as a De but there is guarantee he will be a All Pro as a DE and its certainly no guarantee the defense gets better so why take that chance especially since we are more of a multiple defense than a pure 3/4.

Nobody ever considers how much more space Ware gets to work in as a LB than he would as a DE, IMO you don't ask a veteran player to take more pounding the older they get.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
we've been over this it's not that much more pounding. He's getting the same matchups for the most part.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
man .. 3-4 ROLB and 4-3 RDE are almost the exact same position.

3-4 LOLB and 4-3 LDE differ some because of coverage issues but are very similar.

Ware would have almost no adjustment if we moved.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Ryan's defense is all about flexibility.

So I guess the answer would be maybe.

Top Bottom