Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys are finally rid of unproductive tight end Martellus Bennett. The Texas A&M product is now a free agent and has publicly proclaimed he will not be returning to Dallas to play for the Cowboys in 2012. During his four years in Dallas, Bennett did nothing but cause small stirs in the off-season with offensive photos and videos of himself, so the fact he won’t be back has to be relieving to the Cowboys. However, Bennett believes he can be a stud tight end for another team.

“I want to be the No. 1 guy,” Bennett said. “I feel like I’m a 60-catch-plus guy on a team, so I want to be in a system where I could do [that]. I think a lot of people say the hybrid tight ends or the new type of tight ends are the ones to catch the ball, but I think the perfect tight ends are the ones who could actually block and do things with the ball after they catch it.”

Bennett is a freak of an athlete, but never showed it during his days in Dallas. Instead of reaching the mountains of potential he was believed to have coming out of college, Bennett was often called “lazy” and was frequently criticized for not giving enough effort on the field.

Dallas had enough of Bennett by the time the 2011 season started, but Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett gave his backup tight end one more chance to prove himself in a Week 3 win over the Washington Redskins. With eight minutes to play and the Cowboys down by four, Garrett elected to throw a jump ball to Bennett from the 5-yard line. Redskins 5’9″ cornerback Josh Wilson knocked the pass away from the 6’6″ Bennett, who cowardly shied away from the pass.:paper

There’s no argument against Bennett’s potential, but no player can succeed unless he puts forth some kind of effort. It doesn’t matter if he’s the most talented player in history; a guy who just doesn’t try can’t make a play. Bennett should have been able to take that ball away from Wilson with one hand and that’s a fact. The former Aggie wants to talk about his potential, but he won’t put forth the effort to achieve it.

“I want a team that believes in me and the things I’m capable of doing,” Bennett said. “I still believe I haven’t yet scratched the surface of my potential, and I’m only getting better and better daily, even now. So, I think the sky is the limit for me and really I just want to be in a good organization that believes in the things that I can do and what I bring and what I have to offer.”

Again, Bennett does possess that potential, but this whining about how the Cowboys don’t believe in him is absurd. Dallas gave Bennett every opportunity to reach that potential and he didn’t take advantage of it. All these teams like the Denver Broncos and New York Jets who are looking at Bennett as their primary free agent tight end target are clueless if they expect him to come in and produce right away. He’s more than capable of it, but it’ll never happen unless he tries.

Dallas will be yelling “good riddance” when Bennett leaves town. John Phillips has been patiently waiting to be the Cowboys’ No. 2 tight end and now his chance is here. He’s extremely talented, has sure hands and gives 100% effort on every play. That is the kind of player Dallas wants behind Jason Witten.

Good luck to Bennett and I sincerely mean that. However, every Cowboys fan will be fuming if he suddenly starts producing for another team because he could have done that in Dallas if he had gotten off his rump and put forth the effort. He has nobody to blame but himself for his failure in Dallas. The Cowboys gave him multiple chances to succeed but he was too busy calling himself a “genius” and a “ninja” to make something of himself on the field. Like many Cowboys fans have said this week via social media, Martellus Bennett was a waste of a second-round draft pick.

Reaction score
some "rant.com" article said:
Dallas had enough of Bennett by the time the 2011 season started, but Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett gave his backup tight end one more chance to prove himself in a Week 3 win over the Washington Redskins. With eight minutes to play and the Cowboys down by four, Garrett elected to throw a jump ball to Bennett from the 5-yard line. Redskins 5’9″ cornerback Josh Wilson knocked the pass away from the 6’6″ Bennett, who cowardly shied away from the pass

That was a poorly thrown ball by Romo. Too low, didn't throw it high like it was supposed to be to take advantage of the size difference.

ALSO, be wary of clicking that link. Last time I clicked a Rant.com article, I got a virus.

In fact, I'm going to remove the link from the OP. Check Rantsports.com if you want to read it.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
[video=youtube;nAKd10oY3Eo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAKd10oY3Eo[/video]

Romo threw it on a line instead of alley-ooping it.

C

Cr122

Bennett didn't work out here that's for sure. Maybe a change will do him good.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
What has me fucked, if Dallas truly believes this line:

Dallas will be yelling “good riddance” when Bennett leaves town. John Phillips has been patiently waiting to be the Cowboys’ No. 2 tight end and now his chance is here. He’s extremely talented, has sure hands and gives 100% effort on every play. That is the kind of player Dallas wants behind Jason Witten.

Why did they wait a whole year to get rid of Bennett?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He's wrong about that play from Romo to Witten, and that isnt the only time they tried (and failed) with that play, nor is Bennett the only guy they've tried (and failed) with that play. Romo has never really thrown that pass well for some reason.

Reaction score
Cowboys meet with Martellus Bennett

By Calvin Watkins
The Cowboys met with free agent tight end Martellus Bennett at Valley Ranch on Monday.

Bennett, drafted in the second round in 2008, said last week he doesn't expect to return to the Cowboys, but a source said the talks between the sides were productive.

Bennett said he wants to be "the man" in the offense, but that won't be the case with the Cowboys, where Jason Witten is the lead tight end.

"I want to be the No. 1 guy," Bennett said during a Friday appearance on PFT Live. "I feel like I'm a 60-catch-plus guy on a team, so I want to be in a system where I could do (that). I think a lot of people say the hybrid tight ends or the new type of tight ends are the ones to catch the ball, but I think the perfect tight ends are the ones who could actually block and do things with the ball after they catch it."

Last season, Bennett finished with just 17 catches for 144 yards and no touchdowns. In four NFL seasons, he has scored only four touchdowns, all coming during the 2008 season.

There seems to be a market for the athletic and underachieving tight end from Texas A&M, but with the Cowboys' recent salary cap issues developing, it appears unlikely he will return.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...ett?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Those 4 TDs sure were memorable, though, weren't they?

Actually, his rookie TD against Washington was impressive.

Hell, most of his rookie year was impressive. Far more impressive than anything since, that's for damn sure.

Beans and Rice.

I know why he's "Beans". He blows a lot of hot air and his play smells like shit.

Top Bottom