Reaction score
Redskins traded more for Griffin than Giants for Eli, Falcons for Vick
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 10, 2012, 6:06 AM EST

The Washington Redskins like Robert Griffin III so much that they gave up far more for the right to draft him than teams have typically had to trade away to secure franchise quarterbacks in the NFL draft.

Washington will send St. Louis its first- and second-round picks this year and first-round picks for 2013 and 2014, all to get the second overall pick this year from the Rams. That’s a huge haul for the Rams and a huge sign that the Redskins think very, very highly of Griffin.

Consider this: The Redskins just agreed to give up far more for Griffin than the Giants gave up to acquire first overall pick Eli Manning in 2004, or the Falcons traded to move up to take Michael Vick first overall in 2001. In 2004 the price for Manning was two first-round picks, a third-round pick and a fifth-round pick. In 2001, the price for Vick was one first-round pick, one second-round pick, one third-round pick and Tim Dwight.

Although a team trading away three first-round picks is not unprecedented, it is extremely rare: It hasn’t happened since the famous Cowboys-Vikings Herschel Walker trade in 1989.

In terms of the value given up for one quarterback, the most similar trade in NFL history to Friday night’s Redskins-Rams deal may have been the 1976 trade that sent Jim Plunkett from the Patriots to the 49ers for two first-round picks that year, a first- and second-round pick the following year and a backup quarterback named Tom Owen. That trade did not work out well for the 49ers, although Plunkett would later be the starting quarterback on two Super Bowl-winning Raiders teams.

The Redskins-Rams deal will go down as one of the most significant trades in NFL history. What we don’t yet know is whether Griffin will lead the Redskins to multiple Super Bowls as Eli Manning has the Giants, or whether this trade will be viewed more like the Herschel Walker trade, as it allows the Rams to stockpile talent and win Super Bowls. Or maybe both.

Last edited:

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
That package should have been good enough to get you the best QB in the draft.

ThreeSportStar80

Practice Squad
Reaction score
RG3 is the best QB in the draft to me... I think Luck is very good as well but RG3 is going to be sick.

Reaction score
That package should have been good enough to get you the best QB in the draft.

That package should have been good enough to get you Tom Brady in his prime. Ok, maybe slight exaggeration there. But that's a ridiculous price to pay.

And people want to say the Redskins have changed from Dan and Vin to Shanny and Allen running the show? They just got mauled there.

A smart team doesn't make that trade. No way. You stay where you are and either take Tannenhill, or Weeden or another QB in the second. You trust your coaching staff to identify a quality QB in the 2nd, and take another in the later rounds just to throw bodies (see Shuler 4th overall, Gus Ferrotte 7th rounder for example).

This wasn't a 2 QB draft.

Under no circumstances was this a smart franchise move. All it is, is a splashy move designed to curb some of the anti-Redskins sentiment that is heavy amongst the fanbase nowadays, and get buts in seats. The last Redskins game I went to was the Chiefs at Redskins three years ago when the Cowboys were on a bye. The stadium was only 75% full, and the Redskins fans were literally heckling their team more than they were cheering them.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, if I'm going to be subjected to 16 Skins games per year, I might as well be entertained. Kinda amazing that the Skins paid more for Griffin than the Bears did for Cutler--and Cutler was a proven commodity. I guess desperation will do that.

Reaction score
Cutler demanded a trade. There was no way they'd get complete value for a disgruntled superstar.

The Skins gave up one extra pick than we did for Galloway so it's funny how appalled cowboys fans are acting.

Worst case scenario they end up last in the division for 10 more years. The upside is a solid franchise QB for 15 years. RGIII is a beast.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Cutler demanded a trade. There was no way they'd get complete value for a disgruntled superstar.

The Skins gave up one extra pick than we did for Galloway so it's funny how appalled cowboys fans are acting.

Worst case scenario they end up last in the division for 10 more years. The upside is a solid franchise QB for 15 years. RGIII is a beast.

Who is sitting up here saying that the Galloway trade was a good deal? What are you bitching about? The Galloway deal was LOUSY! STUPID. CRAZY, and/or whatever.

But the Galloway deal does not in way shape or form, makes what the Redskins did in this case a good deal. Truth being , one hyas nothing to do with the other. I do not know any Cowboys' fan that is/was in favor of the deal.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Who is sitting up here saying that the Galloway trade was a good deal? What are you bitching about? The Galloway deal was LOUSY! STUPID. CRAZY, and/or whatever.

But the Galloway deal does not in way shape or form, makes what the Redskins did in this case a good deal. Truth being , one hyas nothing to do with the other. I do not know any Cowboys' fan that is/was in favor of the deal.

Dbair.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Meh. In all honesty, we won't know for another six or seven years if the Skins paid too much (assuming Griffin doesn't wash out before then).

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Yeah I love UVAs ridiculous Galloway line.

That was a terrible trade.

So is this.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Galloway= proven star calibar NFL Player

Griffin= unproven rookie

He could potentially be a franchise calibar QB and those are the kinds of guys you would normally want to go "all in" to get, but to move up 4 spots and draft a guy from a spread offense and from a conference that plays basically no defense, they paid a hefty price.

He cant just be "good", he has to be steller for the deal they did to be worth it.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I never said it was a good deal. I like how alot of you douche bags read whatever you like into stuff I post.

I don't know, you said something about trading for proven commodities being good. Or the trade wasn't bad because Joey Galloway was a semi-star when we traded for him.

Reaction score
Galloway= proven star calibar NFL Player

Griffin= unproven rookie

He could potentially be a franchise calibar QB and those are the kinds of guys you would normally want to go "all in" to get, but to move up 4 spots and draft a guy from a spread offense and from a conference that plays basically no defense, they paid a hefty price.

He cant just be "good", he has to be steller for the deal they did to be worth it.

^^^^^

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Joey Galloway has never been a star, IMO. He's been pretty good, but never a star. He was barely better than James McKnight when we made that trade.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Joey Galloway has never been a star, IMO. He's been pretty good, but never a star. He was barely better than James McKnight when we made that trade.

You are really an idiot if you believe that. Thats up there with some of the stupid shit SBK would say about punters being more valuable than shutdown CB's

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score

While I agree the Galloway trade was horrid, it was more than one extra pick. It cost us two first rounders to get the player. In the Redskins case, it will cost 3 first rounders and a very high second that is only a few slots away from being another first. 4 high picks vs 2 high picks. Both shitty trades.

Top Bottom