Reaction score
Janoris Jenkins Interview
February 8, 2012

On talent alone there is no denying that North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins belongs in the first round. However, off-the-field concerns cloud Jenkins draft stock. How well Jenkins interviews with scouts and decision-makers in the coming months will play a major role in determining whether or not he slides on Draft Day. Scott Wright of Draft Countdown caught up with Jenkins at the 2012 Senior Bowl in Mobile, AL and had a chance to not only talk with the talented cover guy but also look him directly in the eye to get a feel for the type of person he is. Is Janoris a good kid who just made some mistakes or are there underlying character issues that will continue to be a problem going forward? Those are questions that each team will have to answer for themselves, but this interview will hopefully provide a little bit of personal insight into one of this year's most controversial prospects.

Scott Wright: Obviously people are going to ask you about the off the field stuff. How are you planning to explain those incidents to NFL teams?

Janoris Jenkins: Basically just be honest. Admit that what I did was wrong, just let them know how it went and hopefully things will go better.

Scott Wright: I know you seriously considered going pro last year as a junior. What type of feedback did you get from the NFL at that time and what were the key factors in your decision to go back to school?

Janoris Jenkins: I got some good news if I decided to come out. I was looking at it that I just had surgery and my dad, my mentor and I had a talk and we all decided that I would come back, get my degree and finish my four years at Florida. I decided to go to North Alabama because I didn't want to run from my problems. I had done things that I wanted to face up to as a man and I wanted to go to North Alabama to learn, fight adversity and show everyone that I'm not the kid they say I am.

Scott Wright: Can you talk a little bit about the adjustment of going from the SEC to a D2 Program? Was it more difficult than you anticipated?

Janoris Jenkins: I mean, it was difficult, but it was an experience. It humbled me a lot seeing how I went from Florida to a Division II football school in one season. It really humbled me as a kid. It taught me a lot. The environment was totally different, from 95,000 in "The Swamp" to 3,500 at UNA. Big difference.

Scott Wright: How would you describe your game to someone who has never seen you play? What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Janoris Jenkins: I'm quick, fast, explosive, great ball skills. I've got a feel for the ball. I have a tendency of playing off coverage and peaking into the backfield too much so I feel I have to work on that.

Scott Wright: What current NFL cornerback do you admire and compare yourself to?

Janoris Jenkins: I compare myself to Darrelle Revis. I look up to that guy. He's a great cornerback. He plays with great technique and he's one of the best.

Scott Wright: How would you describe your personality and is it different on the field?

Janoris Jenkins: It's not different. I have the same attitude on and off the field, but on the field you have to take it to a different level at one point. You gotta stay in their face and you gotta talk trash. Do anything to distract them.

Scott Wright: What are your favorite and least favorite parts of playing football?

Janoris Jenkins: My favorite part is that I get to play a game that I love each and every day. The bad part is it's a business.

Scott Wright: What was your favorite team and player growing up?

Janoris Jenkins: My favorite team growing up was the Dallas Cowboys. My favorite player was, not an NFL player, but my big brother. I really look up to my big brother.

Scott Wright: Is there one younger player, either at UNA or Florida, that you think draftniks should keep an eye on for the future?

Janoris Jenkins: Oh most definitely. The free safety, he went to Alabama, Rod Woodson. He is at UNA now and is going to be a great football player.

Scott Wright: What current pro are you most looking forward to going up against?

Janoris Jenkins: I'd probably say Calvin Johnson.

Scott Wright: Who is the best player you faced during your career?

Janoris Jenkins: I'd say A.J. Geen.

Scott Wright: If you could go back in time what advice would you give the 18-year-old version of yourself?

Janoris Jenkins: Make the right decisions on and off the field and strive for what you want to be.

Scott Wright: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?

Janoris Jenkins: Give back to the small community that I came from. Help kids.

Scott Wright: When you get your first paycheck what are you going to buy?

Janoris Jenkins: I'm going to buy my mom whatever she wants, whatever she asks for.

Scott Wright: What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod? Is there a song on there that if your buddies or teammates heard you listening to they'd give you grief for?

Janoris Jenkins: I'd say uhhh...no. Can't think of anything bad.

Scott Wright: What were you hoping to prove to scouts at the Senior Bowl?

Janoris Jenkins: That I'm a great kid. I'm respectful, humble. That the decisions I made in the past are behind me and that I made stupid mistakes as a kid.

Scott Wright: Do you have any goals in mind for the NFL Draft?

Janoris Jenkins: I'm just trying to get in the NFL. I just want one opportunity.

Scott Wright: I really appreciate the time. Take care and best of luck.

Top Bottom