Reaction score
Name: Cortland Finnegan
Position: Cornerback
College: Samford
Height/Weight: 5-10/188
NFL Experience: 6 seasons

Availability: He's one of the more experienced cornerbacks on the free-agent market this year. Finnegan does have some Pro Bowl experience, being selected in 2008 as well as receiving a first-team All-Pro nod that season. Here recently, Finnegan has been quoted as being "discouraged" that a deal with the Titans hadn't been reached. It sounds like he's preparing himself to play for another team in 2012, but seems like he'd be willing to stick around in Tennessee for the right price. Don't forget Finnegan walked out of training camp last year, admittedly because he was seeking a new deal. He later apologized for the move, but he followed it up with a less-than-stellar season and that might be the reason the Titans are willing to part ways.

What He Brings: There are a few intangibles Finnegan would bring to the table, most notably an attitude and scrappiness that is evident in his play. Finnegan had a memorable bout with Houston Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson, where helmets were flying off and punches were thrown and landed on both sides. Finnegan has been dubbed a dirty player by several opposing receivers, but it's a distinction that Finnegan doesn't hide from; he actually relishes it. He's got ideal size, extreme toughness and playmaking ability – 14 career interceptions. This past year, Finnegan had 95 tackles, one interception and 12 pass deflections.

Connections: Finnegan has no real connections to the Cowboys. But playing six years with the Titans, he has faced several of the Cowboys' assistant coaches, Rob Ryan, Matt Eberflus, Joe DeCamillis and Jerome Henderson, who have coached on AFC squads.

Where Would He Fit: The Cowboys will likely have a need for cornerbacks, considering Terence Newman's time with the club seems to be coming to the end. Also, Alan Ball is a free agent and might not return as well. For what it would cost to land him, probably in the neighborhood of $7-9 million per season, Finnegan would likely be pegged as the No. 1 corner for the Cowboys. He earned about $3.9 million last season with the Titans and will be looking for a considerable raise. However, the Cowboys have to be careful because Mike Jenkins is also entering the final year of his contract. Orlando Scandrick just signed a new deal (5 years, $27 million) but is expected to remain as the third cornerback if the Cowboys sign a free agent or draft a corner in the first round. Whatever the free-agent cornerback makes, it might make it tougher to re-sign Jenkins after next season or possibly even in the middle of this year. But more than anything, a guy like Finnegan would help right away because he brings an attitude to the team, combined with the ability to cover and tackle.

Reaction score
Not interested.

My theory on free agent corners is that they seem to be some of the most overpayed players out there. So unless you're getting a clear cut dominant guy, you're likely going to overpay and not get the bang for the buck.

I'd rather go the draft route, or sign "serviceable" corners to more reasonable, short term offers.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
sign me up

not enough tough guys on this team

Finny would bring some much needed fire and grit to the table

Reaction score
cortland-finnegan-andre-johnson-fight.jpg

Bad dog! Bad!

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We can sign him and then draft Honey Badger next year. We will have the only light-skinned black dudes with orange hair cornerback combo in the league.
Finnegan_Cortland.jpg

628x471.jpg

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
FA corners are always overpaid. However, if they go the FA route, I like him or Carr.

I'd like to have somebody on the defense that plays with a little passion. At least Finnegan seems fiesty at times.

I think you are going to have to get leadership/passion via FA since I think the culture at VR doesn't really nurture those types of attitudes.

C

Cr122

I agree with Midswat. I'd rather go through the draft. Not at 14 of course though.

Top Bottom