Reaction score
by One.Cool.Customer on Jan 31, 2012 9:01 AM CST in Dallas Cowboys 2012 Draft

One of the challenges of keeping up with the draft these days is that there are so many sources of information, it's hard to keep track of what's going on.

And some of the most interesting nuggets of information reach us via sources that are a little outside of the established media mainstream: our friend JimmyK from BloggingTheBEast alerted us (exclusively) to three prospects the Cowboys had talked to at the Senior Bowl and we found out via a video posted on YouTube by dcfanatic that Jerry Jones thinks the "defensive front is one of the strengths of our team".

And today we add another source: Alex Dunlap writes a weekly column for the Austin Chronicle and also attended the Senior Bowl practices, from where he filed a lengthy report, with this little nugget buried somewhere in the middle:

We spoke with Dallas Cowboys Defensive Coordinator Rob Ryan about their needs in the 2012 draft, and his sentiment was very clear. "I’m only looking at DBs. Nothing else. DBs." It is evident that the Cowboys’ defensive backfield has become a major liability. We will not be seeing a repeat of the 2011 season in 2012, when 10 of 11 defensive starters returned for the Cowboys.​

It's not exactly a secret that the Cowboys need help in the secondary. Many draftniks are on record saying the Cowboys could draft up to three defensive backs in a move that would echo last year's draft in which the Cowboys picked three offensive linemen.

But for the Cowboys to be this open about their strategy is a little unusual. Jerry Jones appears to be ruling out a significant upgrade for the defensive front, Rob Ryan is looking for secondary help. At least they both appear to be thinking in the same direction.

Unless it's all subterfuge, of course.

The Cowboys could just as easily be planning to upgrade their pass rush, and are trying to throw other teams off their scent. Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News yesterday provided the key arguments for why the Cowboys should go for pass rushers:

Q: In today's NFL, is it more important to have a premier pass rusher or a 'shutdown' corner?

Gosselin: Pass rusher. The 1985 Chicago Bears and 1986 New York Giants won Super Bowls and most football observers can't even name their starting corners. But you can name the Hall of Fame linebackers and pass rushers. They won with their front sevens. If you can build a ferocious pass rusher, you can get by with average corners. If you don't have a rush, you need great cornerback play. The Giants are in the Super Bowl this week. They finished third in the NFL in sacks but 29th in pass defense. If you don't have pass rushers, find them. If you can't find them, find corners.

Q: Is it better for the Cowboys to draft a CB or find one in free agency?

Gosselin: I wouldn't be adverse to drafting two corners and signing another in free agency. In an era where three and four wide receiver sets are commonplace, you can never have enough coverage players.​

In times likes these it's best to make like Fox Mulder: "Trust No One."

Where do you stand, a premier pass rusher or a premier corner?

C

Cr122

Good. This means no corner at 14 hopefully.

Why else would Rob say that. It's got to be smoke screen. Yeah we need to replace Newman but I'd love to draft DL, ILB, or OG at 14.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We need two more starting caliber corners. And a safety.

So I hope they can find two of them that can help in this draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We need two more starting caliber corners. And a safety.

So I hope they can find two of them that can help in this draft.

Jenkins is s starting calibar CB, in fact he's a pretty good CB.

Scandrick could be a decent starter, I'm willing to wait and see on him and give Henderson a chance to work with him some. His coverage ability is there, he just struggles to play the ball. And thats something that could be taught.

Reaction score
I wouldn't put it past us to be this dumb and just fixate on CB, and then let everyone know we are just going to fixate on CB's.

Hopefully though we will sign a quality CB in FA and then find a good value with one in the 2nd or 3rd round. But repeating our 2000 draft strategy isn't out of the question with our moronic front office.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't put it past us to be this dumb and just fixate on CB, and then let everyone know we are just going to fixate on CB's.

Hopefully though we will sign a quality CB in FA and then find a good value with one in the 2nd or 3rd round. But repeating our 2000 draft strategy isn't out of the question with our moronic front office.

Been a long time since we didnt draft to the board. Reasonably sure they'll continue doing that.

Reaction score
You need good corners in this league.

Kennard or Janoris, I'd shoot myself in the face.

I don't think you should be taking guys with arrest records in the top half of the first.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Scandrick could be a decent starter, I'm willing to wait and see on him and give Henderson a chance to work with him some. His coverage ability is there, he just struggles to play the ball. And thats something that could be taught.

I didn't mean Jenkins wasnt. I just think you need four very good corners. Right now I think we have one who is a sure fire starter, one who is a pretty good player but not a starter and then two open roster spots.

I think we will end up adding three db's. I just hope two of them are starting caliber. Especially with how fragile Jenkins is.

One in free agency, one in the draft who can play right now and then maybe hope butler can make the team next year as the 5th.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score

I dont see scandrick as anything more than a number 3 DB. I would not feel comfortable at all if him and Jenkins were our 2 starters next year

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I dont see scandrick as anything more than a number 3 DB. I would not feel comfortable at all if him and Jenkins were our 2 starters next year

If scandrick is a starter next year something went terribly wrong.

He is a good player, not a starting corner outside however.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think Mike Jenkins, Orlando Scandrick, Gerald Sensabaugh, Barry Church, and Danny McCray are pretty much locks to return. Mario Butler probably has a good shot too. So that's 5, maybe 6 players, for 8 maybe 9 spots.

3 new players most likely.

Adding Terrell Thomas CB (cheaper than Newman), Tom Zbikowski FS (cheaper or equal to Elam's deal), and Janzen Jackson CB/S (4th or 5th round pick) wouldn't be big splash additions but would really improve the Secondary. Then we could use the bulk of our cap room for a Calais Campbell, Mario Williams, Carl Nicks type.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
If we don't take a punter at 14,I declare this draft class a bust.

/dick joke
//Any Colquitt's available?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If scandrick is a starter next year something went terribly wrong.

He is a good player, not a starting corner outside however.

He could be a starting calibar player. Again when you watch him, he is rarely "beaten" badly. He gives up alot of completions when he's in position to make a play on the ball. He's a solid tackler too. He has some good traits, he just needs some improved coaching.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

If he wins the job with legit competition, I wont have a gripe about it

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
they claimed they drafted to the board...they just drafted alot of players that turned out lousy

The 2009 draft is Exhibit A of Jerry's ineptness. There's a story that will come out one day about Jerry and the scouts that day and once it does, I don't think even dbair or Hostile will be able to defend Jerry anymore.

Reaction score
they claimed they drafted to the board...they just drafted alot of players that turned out lousy

That's one claim they'd probably been wiser not to make. We drafted to our board, we just suck at teh evaluations.

Top Bottom