January, 10, 2012
Jan 10

9:11

PM CT

Email
Print
Comments17

By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- At the end of the disastrous 2010 season two of the Cowboys biggest problem areas were the secondary and offensive line. A year later, they remain problem areas but this time the Cowboys will do something they hope rectifies the problems.

In addition to the expected changeover in personnel in 2012, the Cowboys will have a change in assistant coaches, too, with Bill Callahan and Jerome Henderson replacing Hudson Houck and Dave Campo.

The changes had to be difficult on Jason Garrett because of his personal relationships with Houck and Campo that go back to his playing days with the Cowboys.

But at some point you have to cut the cord.

By not renewing the deals for Houck and Campo, Garrett severed ties to the teams Super Bowl teams of the 1990s and brought in two coaches with no real ties to his playing or coaching days.

It takes some guts to go with guys you know only on reputation or on the recommendations of others.

Callahan has an excellent reputation as an offensive line coach. Henderson, who played for Bill Parcells with New England and the New York Jets, was on the Cowboys’ wish last year but Cleveland blocked the move. He was the only defensive assistant to remain under new coach Pat Shurmur’s staff.

Why did these moves happen today?

Tuesday marked the end of the seven-day grace period teams have in attempting to keep coaches whose contracts had run out after the 2011 season.

Callahan reportedly turned down an extension from the New York Jets, where he was the assistant head coach. What will be his title with the Cowboys? Does he come in solely as the offensive line coach or does he take over the running game coordinator title Houck had as well?

Henderson should take over a secondary in transition. Terence Newman could be a salary-cap casualty. Abram Elam, whom he coached in Cleveland, will be an unrestricted free agent, as will backup cornerbacks Alan Ball and Frank Walker. The Cowboys re-signed cornerback Orlando Scandrick and safety Gerald Sensabaugh to extensions in 2011 and cornerback Mike Jenkins will be in the final year of his contract in 2012.

Maybe the moves came a year too late, but better late than never

Reaction score
If he's kept on a 1 or 2yr deal and has to compete for his starting job, its ok.

You've been ranting about how terrible he is in all of your Day After threads.... now you're cool with him staying?

Screw that. The guy is garbage. I wanted him because I thought he was at least semi-decent, but more importantly, because he knew the defense and I counted on him to be the QB of our D. Turns out, Sean Lee played that role last year.

Abram has no business on this team. At all. Dead weight.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
elam was a perfect fit this summer because someone had to know the damn defense and he already knew the organization here.

but with a whole offseason to get better I imagine they will still try. I wouldnt be suprised if we draft a kid somewhere and resign elam.....We need safety depth either way.

I hope we swap out elam for another player though. We simply need to be better on defense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You've been ranting about how terrible he is in all of your Day After threads.... now you're cool with him staying?

Screw that. The guy is garbage. I wanted him because I thought he was at least semi-decent, but more importantly, because he knew the defense and I counted on him to be the QB of our D. Turns out, Sean Lee played that role last year.

Abram has no business on this team. At all. Dead weight.

I dont want him here either, but as others pointed out he did play for both Ryan and Handerson. he ended up here because of Ryan, its logical that they might say they want to keep him around again.

As long as he isnt handed a starting job I dont have a huge problem with it.

Top Bottom