Reaction score
Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – The season came to a crashing end for the entire team Sunday night in the Meadowlands.

But with that, there will likely be a handful or two of players who could've played their last game with organization as well.

Some of the players addressed that situation after the game, while it was obviously too soon for others.

The Cowboys have 20 players whose contract expires at the end of the season. The most notable of those players include linebackers Anthony Spencer, Bradie James and Keith Brooking, tight end Martellus Bennett, wide receiver Laurent Robinson, safety Abram Elam, fullback Tony Fiammetta and punter Mat McBriar.

And there will likely be a few more decisions the Cowboys make regarding personnel. Cornerback Terence Newman still has three more years on his contract but it could be a situation the Cowboys re-evaluate in an attempt to save money and get younger at the position, not to mention upgrade as well.

Brooking, who finished his 14th season and will turn 37 next year, said after the game he feels like he has more to give.

"It doesn't feel like I played my last game," Brooking said. "I know my contract is up after this season. I'm not sure what's going to happen. I know I'll be 37 by next season. So I doubt other teams will be knocking on my door. But right now as I stand here, it doesn't feel like I've played my last game."

Bennett is in a different situation, being just 24 with four years of experience. Bennett said he will definitely test the free-agent market but isn't ruling out a return to the Cowboys.

"You never know what will happen," Bennett said. "But I'm going to see what's out there for me. I think I can be a starter for some team. It's tough here behind a Hall of Famer (Jason Witten) my whole career. I hope I can be the Aaron Rodgers of tight ends. He played behind Brett Favre and look what he did. I think Witten is that good and I'd like to see if I can do that."

While the free-agent signing period won't happen until March and the draft is in April, owner/GM Jerry Jones said the evaluation process will start immediately.

"It starts right now when we get back," Jones said. "We're constantly evaluating that. It's not something I want to get into specifically. But the process is ongoing and something we will start doing right away."

C

Cr122

We have a ton of holes to fill on this roster. S, CB, DE, NT, LB, C, G, LT.

C

Cr122

And losing Murray hurt. Felix doesn't have the upside he does. Murray is our starter and Felix needs to be our change of pace back.

C

Cr122

[h=2]Hill: Tight end Martellus Bennett ready to test free agent market[/h]
Tight end Martellus Bennett ready to test free agent market

Tight end Martellus Bennett is among 20 Cowboys who will be free agents in the offseason.

It’s safe to say he can’t wait to test the market in hopes of finding an opportunity to be a starter in NFL. He has been a disappointing backup for Pro Bowler Jason Witten since being picked in the second round of the 2008 draft out of Texas A&M.

“I feel I want to see what is available on the market,” Bennett said. “I feel like I am a guy that can start for a lot of teams in the NFL. That’s what I want to do. I don't want to be behind a Hall of Famer all of my career.”

Clarence Hill​

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Like someone pointed out, Robinson and Fiametta. The only two worth a damn going forward.

I bet we resign 5-8 of these losers though. Gotta keep the continuity.

Spencer and Elam are good bets to return.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Can someone compile a list of gms that have been canned in the past 10 years?

I know of one that has never been fired. He muss b gud.

Top Bottom