dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I've never seen anything like this season, for any team. I'm just amazed at how we continue to have these types of games, and how we lose in these types of games. I'm amazed at the rash of injuries this team has had. I'm amazed that once againa dynamic rookie offensive player has suffered a season ending injury (Jones in 2008, Bryant in 2010, Murray this year).

1) Barring a surprising 3-0 finish, we will miss the playoffs. It was hard to imagine any season where Jones would make a coaching change after one season, but I think a scenario warranting it is starting to play out and I have a feeling Garrett and probably this entire coaching staff is going to be replaced, esepcially if the next 3 games are as bad as these last two. The team just doesnt seem to be improving and is too up and down in virtually every area. I like Garrett, but with Jones being so close to soemone like Jeff Fisher and obviously extremely disappointed over these last two games and the way thigns played out, I could see him making the big shakeup. Hiring Fisher might insure Ryan keeps his job here by the way, as he played and coached under Rob's dad.

2) No way to defend it, Ryan's defense is just awful. Gave up 35 pts, 28 first downs and over 500 yards of offense. The Giants are a good offensive team, but they had some more injuries to their OL and had to make adjustments, and you'd have never known it by how we played. People can throw some stats up to try and argue about it, but even in some of the "good" games we've had the defense's "success" has been because the other teams QB grossly missed on some easy throws to open receivers. You cannot make a living off this. Manning dropped back 47 times last night. He wasnt sacked, and was knocked down only twice the entire game despite rushing 6-7-8 guys constantly. The run defense was pretty bad too, especially considering this was the worst rushing team in football we played. The defense was one area where I thought we'd see significant improvement as the season wore on, because they didnt have an offseason to implment the changes Ryan wanted to do. But we also didnt have to break in alot of young or rookie players. You'd think they'd be really starting to get it by now, but instead we still see way too many plays where the right guys dont get on the field or get lined up right, and way too many busted coverages.

3) Romo had a great game except for a couple or three awful misses to wide open guys. The Austin miss in the 4th qtr was a killer, as we probably run out the clock or come close to it (unless Austin would have scored a TD, which was certainly possible). Just cant miss those types of plays with the game on the line though.

4) There's no way in hell any level headed fan can say last nights game was an example of "quality" or "fair" officiating. It was bad, again. The PI call on Jenkins (should have been Sensabaugh I guess, as Jenkins did nothing) was a bad call. They could have probably called illegal contact, but thats not what they did. They called PI, and in that case it was the WRONG call because the ball was not catchable by the receiver. They inexplicably picked up the flag on Jones' play where he was tackled by the facemask. Then on the subsequesnt play the DB grabbed Dez Bryant on the facemask as he was taking off the LOS, and it was also ignored. (He badly beat their DB off the line, and Romo badly missed on what should have been an easy completion). Scott Green also incorrectly tried to call Dallas for 12 men on the field once, and it took them a good 10-15 seconds to get the intentional grounding (which was obvious) called on Manning.

5) Really tough luck for Demarco Murray, feel bad for him. Tremendous rookie year wiped out by a broken ankle. Lots of other guys injured or reinjured during the game as well, have never seen a rash of injuries like this. Mike Jenkins keeps taking a pounding but keeps coming back. He probably played alot of the game with basically one arm. In a season full of alot of disappointments with the defense in general, he's definitely been a bright spot along with Ware, Sean Lee, Hatcher and Sean Lissemore. Lee also resprained his injured wrist last night (I think it came on the play where he got the pick) but stayed in.

6) Was impressed again with Kevin Kowalski. They (Giants) threw alot of stuff at him and from initial views he seems to have only messed up one or two plays, including one where he caused a delay of game. Wouldnt hurt my feelings if Costa was out the rest of the year, would love to see more of Kowalski, as he looks like he might be a legit long term answer in the middle. Tyron Smith is a lock for multiple probowls during his career, and while Free hasnt been as good as he was last year (just my opinion, not sure how the grades would compare) I think he'd be alot better at RT anyway, which should happen in the offseason with Smith going to LT.

7) Great game for Felix Jones, except for the costly fumble. Ran hard and made some outstanding cuts. Also was really good on blitz pickups. In addition to going over 100 yds rushing, Jones also caught 6 passes.

8) Even if Garrett survives I dont see how there's not major staff shakeups here in the offseason. I dont see how Joe DeCamillis can be kept. There's just been too many games where the special teams has had a negative impact on a game, including last night when McBriar had a bad punt at the worst possible time, and then the kick protection unit allowed the game tying FG to be blocked. The secondary is a disaster with the exception of Jenkins, I dont see how Campo and Maxie are here next year. Offensively, even though they have said Garrett was fine in his dual role, I think they'll hire a proven offensive coordinator (like a Norv Turner) to help or assume those duties. Not that there was anything wrong with the playcalling last night, but clearly there are games when it could have been better and perhaps by taking all that responsibility off him, some other areas would hopefully improve.

That said, I still think #1 above may end up playing out.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Although I agree with the premise of Garrett being fired if we lose out. It absolutely won't happen after this season. Jerry will never do it because like always his ego will prevent him from making sound football decisions

VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Although I agree with the premise of Garrett being fired if we lose out. It absolutely won't happen after this season. Jerry will never do it because like always his ego will prevent him from making sound football decisions

I don't think there's any way in hell Jerry fires Garrett, but the rest of your post is outstanding and on point as always, db.

Reaction score
2) No way to defend it, Ryan's defense is just awful. Gave up 35 pts, 28 first downs and over 500 yards of offense. The Giants are a good offensive team, but they had some more injuries to their OL and had to make adjustments, and you'd have never known it by how we played. People can throw some stats up to try and argue about it, but even in some of the "good" games we've had the defense's "success" has been because the other teams QB grossly missed on some easy throws to open receivers. You cannot make a living off this. Manning dropped back 47 times last night. He wasnt sacked, and was knocked down only twice the entire game despite rushing 6-7-8 guys constantly. The run defense was pretty bad too, especially considering this was the worst rushing team in football we played. The defense was one area where I thought we'd see significant improvement as the season wore on, because they didnt have an offseason to implment the changes Ryan wanted to do. But we also didnt have to break in alot of young or rookie players. You'd think they'd be really starting to get it by now, but instead we still see way too many plays where the right guys dont get on the field or get lined up right, and way too many busted coverages.

Actually the Defense gave up 32 points (Romo safety, Felix fumble). The vaunted Green Bay defense gave up 35 points to the same Giants a week ago. Eli is extremely hot right now. Not the first time he has torched these same players on this defense. Although they should have started with a pick 6 on the first drive.

But I am perplexed to why the defense is regressing. I believe Ryan needs to dumb down the defense, these guys can’t get on the same page with each other. We have no pass rush, probably why Ryan is blitzing more too.

I think Jerry keeps the coaching staff intact. Maybe a few changes here and there to position coaches. I don’t see how any logical person could pull the plug on a coach after 1 full season.

Reaction score
I didn't read your post, Dbair. I'm too aggravated.

How the fuck did that just happen? Up 12 with 5 minutes left, lose by 3.

And was there any doubt, honestly, that we'd go three and out after that first Giants TD, knocking the margin to 5?

At any rate.... I don't know why I always get sucked into eating the cheese. I've literally believed we were strong SB contenders since 2005.

This team is just fucked. This franchise is fucked.

I honestly think the America's Team nickname, and Jerry being a complete egotistical asshat screws this team because <conspiracy> I think most people hate him and our team, to include referees. And I think the refereeing is against us far too often. </conspiracy>

I want the following coaches gone. They can die in a fire.

Rob Ryan - I hate saying this because I bought into the swagger I thought he'd bring to the team, and I read so much about how his Oakland and Cleveland teams overachieved with marginal talent - specifically back to back games against Peyton Manning and Drew Brees in 2010. But he's not any good. He's all talk. You don't need a steak at every plate to have a good defense.

Dave Campo - This guy could literally die, and I'd be cool with it.

Hudson Houck - See above.

Terrence Newman - I remember Chris Collinsworth suggesting Newman was playing well last night. Not sure what the fuck he was watching. I've been a Newman fan for years, and he's done an admirable job in Dallas. We got 9 years and multiple Pro Bowls out of him. But it's time to move on.

Everyone on the interior of the offensive line - Suck my dick, all of you.

Ah... shit, there's more, but I'm too irritated to keep going on. This team pisses me off on so many levels. I hope we dedicate the entire 2012 draft to BEST OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OR SECONDARY AVAILABLE. Starting with a mauler guard/center in the first.

We might as well lose out for draft position.

buckup

Reaction score
I would complain about the officials beign against the Cowboys, but they have sucked in just about every game with any other team as well.

I almost hate Rob Ryan. The thing is, he's lining me up at nickle back, and you're playing safety, so what do you expect? My big problem is if we know that Scandrick (contract) and Ball (Elam, Sensabaugh, etc) are terrible, what would be so bad about cutting them and scouring practice squads for possible upgrades. Seriously, it can't get any worse than Alan Ball.

Campo - I'm at a loss as to how he's on any coaching staff, much less ours. Maybe it's because he's sparked such wonderful play out of the Dbs...

Houck - Again - he's got me at guard and you at C. And again, how was Kowalski not starting over Costa? Maybe flip the Tackles too. Ok, I guess you're right Houck can go.

I'd also can Decammilis. ST is terrible. I feel like every other team in the league can expect some kind of return. I know we're never going to have one.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think Jones approaches Garrett and tells him this: You can either be the HC or the OC; but not both. That's what it is going to come down to and should.

Hey Garrett and you also Jerry, maybe you should listen to Jimmy Johnson about getting an OC and squarly focus on just being the HC and instilling disicpline that you promised. I mean gee... what does Jimmy Johnson know? All he just did was cosch you and won a couple of Super Bowls. I mean all you had to do is look acorss the field yesterday and see how Coughlin was doing it. In fact, go back and take a look at all the teams you lost to this season---with the exception of the Eagles, and notice that the HCs had OCs and siad OCs made the calls.

If their is to be a shakeup in the coaching staff, this is the very LEAST of what needs to be done. Garrett seems mor einterested in the Xs and Os than actually molding and developing this team.

I'm ok with Ryan getting the boot. His defense was predicated on CONFUSING the opposing offense, but the only ones that seem confused is our defense. But let's be real, alot of the mess that we still see out of this team: lack of discipline, mental breakdowns at key moments, complacency, lack of desire to rise to ther occasion, the false sense of entitlement, etc. All of this was present BEFORE Ryan arrived. We all thought we saw the last of this when Wade left. Garrett, Houck, DeCamillis, Campo, and Maxie pad have been the constant. Houck, Campo, and Maxie, would have jobs anywhere else in the NFL except with the Cowboys.

I think there are some players on this team that know that they are not going to be here and therefore going through the motions. I also think that there are players on the team that resent Garrett and probably feel that he sandbagged Wade, and now perhaps are doing the same. I don't know. I'm just shooting in the dark like everyone else and trying to come up with answers.

People can badmouth Scandrick, but I truly believe that he can be a real good player for us, IF he has some good coaching. He's not going to get it from Campo. Newman still think he's Deion Sanders, you can see as to how he attempts to mimic him in all ways except the ways that count the most.

Still think it was a bad idea to extend Sensabaugh. And like I pointed out, many of the people that praised the extension, also balked at extending Ratliff, go figure.

Personally, I'd extended Spnecer before Sensabaugh.

Penalties. We can blame the refs all we want and there's plenty, but we do it to ourselves, and make the refs job all the more easier especially in cheating. Smart players = disciplined players. And while you are right that smart players cannot overcome biased officiating, smart players would make less mistakes overall, and make it hard for bias officials to tip their hand.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I would complain about the officials beign against the Cowboys, but they have sucked in just about every game with any other team as well.

I almost hate Rob Ryan. The thing is, he's lining me up at nickle back, and you're playing safety, so what do you expect? My big problem is if we know that Scandrick (contract) and Ball (Elam, Sensabaugh, etc) are terrible, what would be so bad about cutting them and scouring practice squads for possible upgrades. Seriously, it can't get any worse than Alan Ball.

Campo - I'm at a loss as to how he's on any coaching staff, much less ours. Maybe it's because he's sparked such wonderful play out of the Dbs...

Houck - Again - he's got me at guard and you at C. And again, how was Kowalski not starting over Costa? Maybe flip the Tackles too. Ok, I guess you're right Houck can go.

I'd also can Decammilis. ST is terrible. I feel like every other team in the league can expect some kind of return. I know we're never going to have one.

Scandrick is not a bad player. I'm fine with extending him. Give him better coaching and you'll have a much better player. All last year, he was our most consistant CB. Newman needs to go. And yeah, they're now figuring it out that Kowalski is better than Costa? How the fuck again do we end up with another Center that doesn't know the snap count---does twice in a week?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I didn't read your post, Dbair. I'm too aggravated.

How the fuck did that just happen? Up 12 with 5 minutes left, lose by 3.

And was there any doubt, honestly, that we'd go three and out after that first Giants TD, knocking the margin to 5?

Go back and see. I CALLED IT. It's in this team's DNA. I called the touchdown by the Giants, and then the impending implosion by our offense and defense. It's not hard. How many times have we've seen this?

C

Cr122

If Garrett were to get fired then the entire coaching staff must be replaced.

The way Jerry runs things it won't happen. It should be up to the Head coach on who his assistants are.

I know Jerry said Jason can hire his own staff, but I yet to see any evidence of that. That's the problem with this team.

And this team will always be mediocre at best until that changes.

Reaction score
Go back and see. I CALLED IT. It's in this team's DNA. I called the touchdown by the Giants, and then the impending implosion by our offense and defense. It's not hard. How many times have we've seen this?
lol

I CALLED IT!!!

Laz is an internet genius everyone.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I honestly think the America's Team nickname, and Jerry being a complete egotistical asshat screws this team because <conspiracy> I think most people hate him and our team, to include referees. And I think the refereeing is against us far too often. </conspiracy>

The refs are fans as well. People seem to forget that. It seems that every year the officiating gets worse and we are on the receiving end of it.

Terrence Newman - I remember Chris Collinsworth suggesting Newman was playing well last night. Not sure what the fuck he was watching. I've been a Newman fan for years, and he's done an admirable job in Dallas. We got 9 years and multiple Pro Bowls out of him. But it's time to move on.

Everyone on the interior of the offensive line - Suck my dick, all of you.

Collingsworth is a DRUNK. The guys has the oily-gravely voice and he slurs his words. Holland has been pretty decent. Kosier is done. Fuck Houck. This is where Jerry and Garrett fucked up. We could have had Dan Campbell as an Oline coach. He seems top

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
oh well. Romo was great tonight. He missed bryant on that throw but there was pressure on that side and he was waiting for something to come open on the right and saw bryant late. That was the only time all night i saw them press bryant one on one with no help, and he abused the corner and should have made a huge play, romo just saw him late and threw the ball high.

that play was on austin and this needs to stop blaming romo for it. The defense lost this game.
here is rocket breaking down the play and how austin technically messed up, and again I believe romo threw that to the inside so the db had no play if he caught up....austin if he just keeps running could have run underneath that. But again, this is really splitting hairs. The game should have been won on the bryant TD.

here is the rocket audio.
http://www.4shared.com/file/1scBoAVu/Rocket_explains_austin_miss_gi.html

Someone needs to explain to me how in the world bradie james can be on the field on those last two drives and not bruce carter a 2nd round pick whos whole deal was athleticsm and running sideline to sideline.

This offseason is going to be all about blowing up the defense. In two weeks the local fans here will watch newman, james, ball and probably spencer play there final home game ever. I hope they make it a good one. The whole thing needs to be torn down.

Dave campo and rob ryan ladies and gentleman.

we are going to be so banged up this week I have no idea what kind of game we get out of this team in tampa.

oh and Dez bryant makes it very hard to root for him. He has been mostly an ok player not a great one, gets treated like royalty, makes tons of mental mistakes and then last night for no reason what so ever mocks victor cruz after his TD. Byrant is not even as good as cruz and he is out there mocking him? Sad. I feel bad for him in a way.

my biggest gripe of the night is how long into the season before all the players can get lined up correctly? both offense and defense could not get lined up last night repeatedly. I didnt see the giants have this problem one time. not one. It just shows what good coaches can do. We have some poor players and unfortunately it looks like we have a group of poor coaches.

Its going to be a rough 3 weeks. The future doesnt look so bright either because you cant build an entire defense in one offseason and our defense needs to be torn down and rebuilt. We are looking at a .500 type team for multiple years.

I dont think garrett gets fired and I dont think we get an OC. I have a really bad feeling we get the usual propping of a handful of players and a couple of new guys in the draft and see similar results next year.

It just sucks. I was curious how rob ryan would defend gilbride and manning after wade struggled for four years, well it was horrendous. Rob Ryan did the poorest job of defending the giants since campo was running the d. And that makes sense to me because ryan is on the same level of coach as campo. We got back the same defensive players for the most part and an inferior coordinator. Throw in jenkins is as frail as a schoolgirl and newmans goose appears to be cooked just like bradies and this thing just stinks.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
theebs is right, Austin ran the (variation of the) route wrong. I love Austin, and it's his first game back, but we needed him there. He was so wide open that if Romo has thrown it with more air, he could have ran under it, but he threw it where he expected Austin to be. Romo has very little blame for last night.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
theebs is right, Austin ran the (variation of the) route wrong. I love Austin, and it's his first game back, but we needed him there. He was so wide open that if Romo has thrown it with more air, he could have ran under it, but he threw it where he expected Austin to be. Romo has very little blame for last night.

its funny to see a guy with a 141 rating, 4 tds no turnovers and 34 points shoulder the blame, but that is what is happening. Peter kings second topic in his mmqb this morning is that if you want to know the difference between romo and manning its that romo couldnt make the throw and manning did.

insane. The game should have been won on the throw to dez, but a poor group of players on defense coached by a poor coach is finally showing up against good competition. I almost dont even feel like blaming the defense, I just expect them to play poor at this point.

that first down at the goal line where manning basically just throws the ball to alan ball and ball miss times his jump, stumbles and then bats the ball down. That was a bad throw and should have ended the game, would have been mannings second pick and he would have been killed for it. but ball is just so poor he cant even catch a ball thrown right to him in a critical moment of the game.

oh well. We all knew it was a 9-7 ish team and hopefully we get to 9 or 10 wins. 8-8 seems more like it though.

Top Bottom