C

Cr122

Updated: August 12, 2010, 5:50 PM ET

By Adam Schefter
ESPN
Archive

DAVIE, Fla. -- Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall said Thursday that if NFL teams lock out the players next year, he will try out for the NBA.

Marshall said he plans to audition for either the Denver Nuggets or the Miami Heat.

"My first team will be the Nuggets and my second team will be the Heat -- I'm serious," Marshall said.

Marshall I'm going to be on an NBA team. Seriously.
” -- Brandon Marshall on playing in NBA in case of an NFL lockout in 2011

Asked to clarify whether he will pursue a basketball career if there is no NFL season in 2011, Marshall said: "Not pursuing -- I'm going to be on an NBA team. Seriously."

Marshall said he was good enough to play shooting guard professionally.

The Pro Bowl wideout played basketball at Lake Howell High School in Florida and frequently attended NBA games in Denver.

Marshall, who signed a four-year, $47.5 million contract extension after being traded from Denver to Miami in April, didn't expect to be playing football at this time next year.

"There's not going to be any football," Marshall predicted. "If there's a lockout, I have to find a job. I figure the Nuggets will be a better choice because of the welcome home cheer I'll get -- a couple of boos at first. I'm gonna get with a basketball coach and get to work, prepare for the lockout."

News of Marshall's plans surprised the Dolphins, but didn't worry them either. Told about Marshall's lockout gameplan, Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said, "I've seen him jump -- he's not playing basketball."

Marshall insists otherwise. He has spoken to his agent about it and intends to follow through on it.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

Top Bottom