C

Cr122

August 11 2010

ALBANY - Kenny Phillips, who had not been on the field since the Giants shut him down following the second game last season with an arthritic condition in his left knee, said he was hearing calls of "Superman" from teammates and coaches when he took the field in the morning practice Monday.

"Superman's back. That's what they call me," Phillips said. "It put a smile on my face. I tell them I feel like Clark Kent right now - I'm working on putting that cape back on."

Phillips underwent microfracture surgery last season after he was diagnosed with patella femoral arthritis. He had been bothered by knee problems during training camp, played the first two games against Washington and Dallas, and then missed the final 14 games after he intercepted two Tony Romo passes. All of a sudden, the defense was without a potential Pro Bowl player.

The Giants are going to take it slow with Phillips, who showed signs of being a dynamic player. He came off the physically unable to perform list after passing his physical over the weekend and was on the field for 12 plays Monday in the team drills - two plays at the start of each period. Tom Coughlin said there is time for Phillips to earn back his starting safety spot, where he would team with free agent addition Antrel Rolle.

"I have no swelling. I have no pain," Phillips said. "I am just playing football right now."

Phillips' return energized the Giants as the drudgery of camp sets in the week before the first preseason game. Coughlin said Phillips will not play against the Jets on Monday night but that he could start the regular-season opener Sept. 12 against the Panthers.

SNAPPY RETURNS
Center Shaun O'Hara (ankle) practiced for the first time since taking part in the walkthrough on the first day of camp. He had no trouble getting adjusted to snapping the ball to Eli Manning.

GUARDED OPTIMISM
Left guard Rich Seubert does not need surgery on his broken left hand.

"It's better than I thought it was going to be because when the swelling and the pain goes down, they're going to wrap him in a big 'ol gloved pad and let him go," Coughlin said.

EXTRA POINTS
THE BUZZ
Safety Kenny Phillips, who had not been on the field in 11 months until Monday, is hoping to get more than 12 plays per practice as the days move on. "I was begging for more," he said. The Giants are taking it easy with him after last year's knee surgery.

LOOKING AHEAD
The Giants and Jets usually play each other in the third preseason game, but with the teams 50-50 partners in the New Meadowlands Stadium, the NFL moved the game up two weeks to Monday night.

QUOTE OF THE DAY
"The shirt I have on - you won't see it anywhere unless you want to go get it made, just like I did."

- Brandon Jacobs on the Free Plaxico Burress T-shirt he was wearing Monday.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz0wKRy2vt7

Reaction score
I don't like that Kenny Phillips is coming back.

I'm really rooting for that being a career-ender.

Top Bottom