Reaction score
Some uncomfortable situations facing Birds as they return from bye
Link

By Ed Kracz Staff writer Calkins Media, Inc. | 0 comments

Ronnie Brown was traded, then taken back in deadline deal; Asante Samuel is unhappy with the trade talk concerning him.

Two uncomfortable workplace situations figure to greet the Eagles upon their return from a bye week on Monday.

One is Ronnie Brown. Two is Asante Samuel. And it’s not necessarily in that order.

Brown thought he’d be in Detroit by now, after being told before last Tuesday’s NFL trade deadline that he had been packaged to the Lions in exchange for another running back, Jerome Harrison, and a 2013 seventh-round draft pick.

Signed in August to a one-year free agent deal, Brown had not received much playing time with the Eagles and was looking forward to beginning anew with Detroit. Sources said he was extremely disappointed when the NFL voided the deal because Harrison flunked a physical given to him by Eagles team doctors.

Harrison, it was discovered, had a brain tumor, a story broken first by ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Harrison had complained to Dr. Gary Dorshimer, the Eagles’ team physician, of headaches during his examination and that was when Dorshimer ordered an MRI, which revealed the tumor.

The test revealed a tumor known as ependymoma in the fourth ventricle of Harrison’s brain. Also found was a condition known as asteriovenous malformation, which is an abnormal connection between veins and arteries, and that may have been a contributing factor.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported that Harrison underwent surgery on Friday, and doctors believe they were able to remove all of the tumor.

Harrison has since been placed in the reserve/non-football illness list by the Lions, ending his season. Brown, meanwhile, is still with the Eagles.

As for Samuel, the cornerback went on a 97.5 The Fanatic radio program on Saturday and complained that the Eagles do not want him anymore as evident by the rumors that swirled last week that the team was trying hard to trade him.

“Definitely doesn’t sit well with me,” Samuel told the show’s hosts, Tim McManus and Pat Callahan. “Definitely, I’ve been nothing but what they expected me to be when they brought me here. ... And obviously they don’t want me there, so life goes on. So we’ll see where I’m at.”

Samuel went on to add, “Well, as long as I’m getting paid I’m gonna do my job. So whoever (is) cutting the check, I do my job. ... So I’m not worried about that. I just know in the back of my head they don’t want me there. So, you know, that’s not gonna leave. They put it out there so everybody could know that, so I know that and everybody knows that. So it’s in the back of my head. And Asante Samuel is a business entity first, so I’m going to make sure I handle my business accordingly.”

Samuel has only one interception this season and was injured briefly during the team’s 20-13 win over the Redskins in the game before their bye while making what appeared to be a very poor form tackle on a Washington ballcarrier.

Reaction score
Anyone know the status of Trent Cole & Jason Peters?

I think I read they were supposed to be ready by this coming game.

Idgit

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It's pretty tough on Ronnie Brown that his trade didn't go through because stupid Harrison had that brain tumor. I hope he's handling it ok there in Philly.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
i think cole played against washington and is fine.

Both defensive lines might have a field day next week.

This is going to be a fun buildup to this week. by wed afternoon I am sure we will have some good quotes from there resident big mouths.

Reaction score
Jeff_McLane Jeff McLane
Graham said that Trent Cole practiced.

Jeff_McLane Jeff McLane
Brandon Graham said he was able to practice at "full go" for about 15 plays today at practice. Still not sure about Sunday availability.

Jeff_McLane Jeff McLane
Jason Peters said he practiced today. Said Herremans is back at RT.
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Anyone know the status of Trent Cole & Jason Peters?

I think I read they were supposed to be ready by this coming game.

Graham, Cole, Peters return to practice

On their first day back from their bye, the Eagles got reinforcements.

Defensive end Brandon Graham returned to practice, participating in all of the short Monday session. So did defensive end Trent Cole and left tackle Jason Peters.

Peters was back at left tackle, allowing Todd Herremans to slide back to right tackle, where he has spent most of the season.

Jason Babin and Juqua Parker got the first team snaps at defensive end, but Graham said he and Cole worked in with the starters as well. Graham said his knee felt explosive and strong, but that he has to work on getting his "wind" back into game shape. Graham hopes to play Sunday but said he does not know if he will play yet.

"I feel good, I feel a lot better than expected," Graham said. He said he felt "timid" at first but good once he was out there running plays. "All I've got to do is get in shape right now."

The Eagles have three weeks to evaluate Graham and decide if or when to bring him off the Physically Unable to Perform list. Graham has said he expects to play this year but it's up to coaches to decide how soon.

Ronnie Brown was also back after a brief stop in Detroit. Brown had returned to Atlanta during the Eagles bye, flew to Detroit on Wednesday and went through a physical, got his locker and number -- 36 -- but was pulled out of a meeting and told to see the coach.

"I was like, what have I done already?" Brown said. He did not participate in any practices.

Brown said he was looking forwrd to possibly having a larger role with the Lions, but would continue to work hard as an Eagle.

"You realize, I've been around, this is my seventh season, so there's a business side of this, unfortunately these are some of the things you've got to deal with," Brown said. "I'm going to be a professional, I'm going to be where I'm supposed to be, do the things I need to do and try to see how I can get better each day."

Kurt Coleman was back at safety, as expected.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1bimXB0EY

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
the records of teams coming off the bye so far this year is

1-5 last week
2-4 this week

players are saying it is all the time off.

Reaction score
Great. So Cole, Peters, and Graham will be back.

Cue the "i only want to beat opponents at full strength!!! bowing smiley with blue star background" group.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Smith will shut down Graham or Cole, whoever lines up at LDE.
Free is due. I mean really due for a good game. Cole is good but he's a midget (as far as DE's go) so Free should be able to handle him.
Peters is back from injury and he gets DeMarcus Ware. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Smith will shut down Graham or Peters, whoever lines up at LDE.
Free is due. I mean really due for a good game. Cole is good but he's a midget (as far as DE's go) so Free should be able to handle him.
Peters is back from injury and he gets DeMarcus Ware. Good luck with that.

Peters is an OT. LOL. We really need Hatcher back. I think our pass rush has really suffered since he's been out.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Peters is an OT. LOL. We really need Hatcher back. I think our pass rush has really suffered since he's been out.

Peters in an OT? Yes I know. Left Tackles block pass rushers (OLB in a 3-4, DE in a 4-3) and that's what Ware is. Not sure what you are LOL'ing ?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Peters in an OT? Yes I know. Left Tackles block pass rushers (OLB in a 3-4, DE in a 4-3) and that's what Ware is. Not sure what you are LOL'ing ?

I guess I misread your post when you said:

cmd34 said:
Smith will shut down Graham or Peters, whoever lines up at LDE.

I read it that Tyron Smith will shut down either Graham or Peters or whoever lines up at LDE.

Top Bottom