Reaction score
By MARK CRAIG Minneapolis Star Tribune
Published: 8/11/2010 2:21 AM

Ray Sherman squirms a bit when asked if Dez Bryant is the next Randy Moss.

Why?

Because he's not quite sure what you're implying.

"He's got some Moss-type skills as far as the way he catches the football and being a guy who can stretch the field," the Dallas Cowboys' receivers coach said of Bryant, the team's No. 1 draft pick.

And what about the character comparisons that caused both of them to tumble on draft day?

"There are no similarities there," Sherman said. "Dez's character is great."

Moss fell to the 21st pick in 1998, a decent year in which a kid named Peyton went No. 1 overall while Charles Woodson and Fred Taylor also went in the top 10. The Cowboys, batting eighth that year, took Greg Ellis, who became a Pro Bowl linebacker but certainly not Randy Moss.

Moss caught 17 touchdown passes his rookie season and stands at 926 catches, 14,465 yards and 148 touchdowns heading into the 13th season of a Hall of Fame career. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has been kicking himself every day for 12 years but is counting on Bryant to right the wrong once his high right ankle sprain heals. Injured 11 days ago, Bryant is expected to return in time for the Sept. 12 opener at Washington.

Bryant, who went to Oklahoma State, fell to No. 24 before Jones traded up to nab him. The similarities to Moss' free fall were obvious, but unfair, Sherman says.

By most accounts, Bryant has two faults that hurt him on draft day: A tendency of being tardy, and being suspended for most of last season after lying to NCAA investigators about his relationship with former Cowboys cornerback Deion Sanders. Moss, on the other hand, came with baggage that included: A, losing his scholarship to Notre Dame after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor battery charge after a fight in high school; and B, getting booted from Florida State after testing positive for marijuana.

"When Dez began to slide, he became a steal for us," Sherman said. "He's a top-10 pick for sure."

Sherman said he hasn't seen anything off the field to change his mind. Dez's clock apparently is working. And he reported to camp on time by becoming the first No. 1 pick to sign, an unusual move for someone picked in the lower half of the first round.

"That was a huge plus for us," Sherman said. "It told me a lot about the young man. He's been outstanding. He was outstanding when we brought him in here to interview him. He was outstanding when we drafted him. He's been outstanding. His attitude has been great. He's a tremendous young man."

Like Moss, Bryant comes with a controversy magnet. Before he was injured a little over a week ago, Bryant caused a national debate on an NFL rite of passage for rookies that was otherwise overlooked to that point. Bryant refused to carry veteran Roy Williams' helmet and shoulder pads, saying, "I'm here to help try to win a championship, not carry someone's pads."

"That whole thing was no big deal," Sherman said. "It was blown way out of proportion by the media. In fact, I'll tell you how big of a deal it was. They sat in the meeting room together and both laughed about the whole thing. That tells you what that was."

Reaction score
Sorry. Moss is on another level.

Both have great natural receiving skills (body control, soft hands, leaping ability). Moss is more a speed guy. Dez looks more physical.

Ray Sherman and Gunter Brewer . . . the only two guys I know of who have coached both Randy Moss and Dez Bryant, say the comparisons are valid.

In fact . . . I'm pretty sure Brewer went so far as to say that Dez is the best receiver he's ever coached when it comes to grabbing a jump ball.

Pretty high praise.

sbk92

Reaction score
Both are have great natural receiving skills (body control, soft hands, leaping ability). Moss is more a speed guy. Dez looks more physical.

Ray Sherman and Gunter Brewer . . . the only two guys I know of who have coached both Randy Moss and Dez Bryant, say the comparisons are valid.

In fact . . . I'm pretty sure Brewer went so far as to say that Dez is the best receiver he's ever coached when it comes to grabbing a jump ball.

Pretty high praise.

That's nice. Those guys have a connection to him. They're supposed to support the player.

Moss is on another level. He is easily the most talented receiver ever to play in the NFL and there isn't a close 2nd. Certainly not Dez Bryant.

A guy with his size, speed, hands, jumping ability. I can't even imagine what he would have done if he had a work ethic of a Jerry Rice or a Michael Irvin. He is the offensive version of Deion Sanders. Just a freak of nature you probably won't see the likes of for many years.

I can be excited about Bryant being here without ridiculously comparing him to Randy Moss.

And I don't agree about the character thing. This is a guy who whined about Miami asking legitimate questions and then refused his rookie hazing. I think at worst he's a diva that will need to be handled with kid gloves over his career. I worry about how he'll act when he has some success in the NFL.

C

Cr122

I won't get into comparisons yet.

I haven't even seen Bryant play a down in the NFL yet.

And don't get me wrong the kid is talented, but to compare him to Moss right now is ridiculous.

sbk92

Reaction score
He created the Miami situation. He didn't handle it. It was his own lack of maturity that caused that to get to the media. A man in that situation answers the question and it's forgotten about.

Just like he created the hazing incident. He wasn't a victim. It was his own doing. He's got a little Terrell Owens in him where he starts something and then cries victim when it snowballs.

Coaches say things all the time. Bet ya a beer Quincy Carter's coaches sang his praise when he was entering the NFL. It means nothing to me. Give me the talent evaluator with no ties to the player.

Reaction score
I won't get into comparisons yet.

I haven't even seen Bryant play a down in the NFL yet.

And don't get me wrong the kid is talented, but to compare him to Moss right now is ridiculous.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Bryant is going to put together Moss like numbers during his career.

Moss has had a fantastic career, albeit a little tumultuous at times.

The talent is what is being compared. Now . . . it's up to Dez to produce.

I'm on the bandwagon and believe that Dez will go down as the greatest Cowboy receiver in franchise history . . . and I love Michael Irvin.

sbk92

Reaction score
Bryant's already on Owens status for me. Where I'll love him while he's here, but without the uniform on I pretty much can't stand him. I see through his bullshat. He's a high maintenance diva. That's fine while he's elite, but I wouldn't want him near my team when he starts to decline.

That's my take on Bryant before he plays a down of football in the NFL. I expect him to have a ton of success initially and then I expect things to happen down the road that causes him to carry the same label Owens carries today.

And like Owens, he'll claim it was the big bad media that created the whole thing. Ya know, they just picked him out of the blue and decided to sabotage his career.

Reaction score
I love Bryant and all but does he actually need to be compared to anyone before he's even made a single catch in the NFL

sbk92

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Bryant is going to put together Moss like numbers during his career.

Moss has had a fantastic career, albeit a little tumultuous at times.

The talent is what is being compared. Now . . . it's up to Dez to produce.

I'm on the bandwagon and believe that Dez will go down as the greatest Cowboy receiver in franchise history . . . and I love Michael Irvin.

Laughable.

If he's got Randy Moss talent, then he should produce similar numbers. This isn't a comparison of two different eras.

For him to eclipse what Michael Irvin did here is so far out there I can't even talk about it in a serious manner.

Reaction score
He created the Miami situation. He didn't handle it. It was his own lack of maturity that caused that to get to the media. A man in that situation answers the question and it's forgotten about.

lol

You're unabashed Parcells/Ireland love is showing.

Just like he created the hazing incident. He wasn't a victim.

lol

Okay . . .

Coaches say things all the time. Bet ya a beer Quincy Carter's coaches sang his praise when he was entering the NFL. It means nothing to me. Give me the talent evaluator with no ties to the player.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that the coaches have ties to both players.

At any rate . . . we'll agree to disagree.

Reaction score
Laughable.

If he's got Randy Moss talent, then he should produce similar numbers. This isn't a comparison of two different eras.

For him to eclipse what Michael Irvin did here is so far out there I can't even talk about it in a serious manner.

I guess we'll see.

:thumbsup

sbk92

Reaction score
How did he not create both situations?

Miami asked a legitimate question. If your mother is a hooker and I'm thinking of drafting you, I want to know about it. I want to know who you surround yourself with. What are those influences? Particularly when you're dealing with a guy currently suspended from finishing his college career.

That doesn't get to the media if Dez Bryant doesn't whine about it like a child. Then when people react to it, he plays victim.

If he carries the pads, like any other rookie entering the league, there's no story. But instead of being one of the guys, he decides he's special and doesn't have to. Big story. Again, one he created.

sbk92

Reaction score
I love Bryant and all but does he actually need to be compared to anyone before he's even made a single catch in the NFL

I have no problem comparing him without playing a down in the NFL. I find it boring to wait and see on everything. Why don't we just call it a day if that's the case and close these message boards. No projections allowed. No debate. Keep all comments to what has already been proven.

I just don't think Bryant will ever be in the same zip code of Randy Moss in the NFL. A Larry Fitzgerald, yeah. One of the best in the game. But we're talking about the most gifted offensive player I've ever seen on a football field. The guy was huge, ran like a deer, elite hands, jumped like Jordan. He basically sleepwalked through his hall of fame career. He was that good.

Reaction score
How did he not create both situations?

Miami asked a legitimate question. If your mother is a hooker and I'm thinking of drafting you, I want to know about it. I want to know who you surround yourself with. What are those influences? Particularly when you're dealing with a guy currently suspended from finishing his college career.

That doesn't get to the media if Dez Bryant doesn't whine about it like a child. Then when people react to it, he plays victim.

If he carries the pads, like any other rookie entering the league, there's no story. But instead of being one of the guys, he decides he's special and doesn't have to. Big story. Again, one he created.

If one of our STARS asks Dez he absolutely does it...your the only poster I know that that is extremely worried about this and the only poster I know to not drop it yet

sbk92

Reaction score
If one of our STARS asks Dez he absolutely does it...your the only poster I know that that is extremely worried about this and the only poster I know to not drop it yet

It doesn't matter who asks. You do it. He's a veteran, you're a rookie. Know your role, Hollywood, and carry the pads. Then next year some rookie's going to be carrying yours. That's the NFL and Dez Bryant isn't above it.

I'm also one of the few people you'll ever read that will give you an honest evaluation of my team with no homer bias added to it. Whether I'm right or wrong, who I root for plays no part in what I'm saying.

Reaction score
It doesn't matter who asks. You do it. He's a veteran, you're a rookie. Know your role, Hollywood, and carry the pads. Then next year some rookie's going to be carrying yours. That's the NFL and Dez Bryant isn't above it.

I'm also one of the few people you'll ever read that will give you an honest evaluation of my team with no homer bias added to it. Whether I'm right or wrong, who I root for plays no part in what I'm saying.

Dez already admitted he didn't know anything about that tradition and apologized for his actions what more could you ask out of the fella? im done arguing this with you I think we have argued about this exact subject before

I mean the media has even made this a non-issue now

sbk92

Reaction score
Dez already admitted he didn't know anything about that tradition and apologized for his actions what more could you ask out of the fella? im done arguing this with you I think we have argued about this exact subject before

I mean the media has even made this a non-issue now

You believe that, eh?

Okay. Then Dez Bryant is one of the biggest idiots ever to enter an NFL camp.

But I don't think he is. He knew and he thought he was above it.

sbk92

Reaction score
All I'm saying is I see the character concerns others had with him. He doesn't drop so far in the draft without them. I could easily see this diva having problems down the road.

Right now, no. I think he's going to explode on the scene and be a top 5-10 WR.

Top Bottom