Reaction score
Posted by nickeatman at 9/15/2011 9:50 AM CDT on dallascowboys.com

Not since his junior season at Penn Hills High School in Pittsburgh has Barry Church found himself playing the cornerback position. And he said it wasn’t too long before he found out safety was a better spot. That’s where he excelled enough to be a four-time all-conference performer at Toledo and now have a job in the NFL.

But sometimes, that background will be needed once again. The Cowboys were in a desperate way Sunday night in the Meadowlands with the cornerbacks dropping like flies. And it was Church who ended up playing cornerback in the nickel defense.

“It’s been a while since I did that,” Church laughed. “But when you get in the middle of the game and things like that happen, you can’t worry about it. You just have to trust your instincts and go play. That’s what I did.”

And that’s just the latest example of the Cowboys starting to figure out just what this second-year player can do.

It seems like everything they put on his plate, Barry Church handles it.

Last year, they inserted him on the goal-line defense and he not only held his own, but made some key plays, including a goal-line tackle to save a touchdown against the Lions.

While he didn’t play much on special teams in college, seeing that he was a four-year starter, Church has developed into of Joe DeCamillis’ top three players on all of the coverage units. Church tied for the third on the team last year with 16 special teams tackles.

And even this year, he began training camp as a first-team safety until both Abram Elam and Gerald Sensabaugh were signed. But since they only signed for one-year deals each, it’s likely Church still figures into the long-term plans at safety.

“I don’t really worry about any of that or how it’ll work out,” Church said. “You try to stay focused for this week’s game. I’ve got a job to do and hopefully when my number is called, I can step up and make the plays.”

According to his position coach, Church has been doing just that.

“He’s around the ball a lot,” defensive backs coach Brett Maxie said. “We think Barry has done a really good job this year. He’s gotten a lot better in all areas. We trust him to make the right plays.”

And they’re even trusting him to play positions he hasn’t done since high school.

Idgit

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I do. In fact, I expect the team wants him to take one of the open slots. We'll resign one of the other two to a long-term deal and draft a mid-round player to develop if AOA's time here is running out.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Church working into a full third of the S snaps by the second half of the season *this* year. The guy's smart and makes good plays.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Anyone believe he can be a long term answer at safety?

Depends. He shows versatility and a knack to be around the ball. Only thing lacking now is an opportunity for an expanded role as an every down player.

I would have no hesitations about moving him to the starter role in front of Sensabum this year at some point.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Free Safety? Good Lord no.

Strong Safety maybe. I'm not a fan, he is decent back-up IMO.

Reaction score
I could see Abram getting a long term deal.

Are the safeties in a Rob Ryan defense interchangable?

I ask because... well, the Jets have two white safeties (obviously neither is good in coverage like a traditional free safety), and both Abram and Sensy seem to be more suited for the strong safety position than that of a free safety.

Either the safeties are interchangable, or we're fitting a square beg in a round hole out of neccessity.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I could see Abram getting a long term deal.

Are the safeties in a Rob Ryan defense interchangable?

I ask because... well, the Jets have two white safeties (obviously neither is good in coverage like a traditional free safety), and both Abram and Sensy seem to be more suited for the strong safety position than that of a free safety.

Either the safeties are interchangable, or we're fitting a square beg in a round hole out of neccessity.

Next year' starting safeties will be Michael Griffin and Markelle Martin. It will make a remarkable improvement on our overall defense. I can dream.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If Tanard Jackson comes off suspension (sometime next week) and plays well I would make a run at him in Free Agency next off-season. He plays fast but still physical, ideal Strong Safety if his head is right.

Reaction score
I like the player, but I don't want to fall in love with him and pass on other possible safeties because we think he is the man. I think he will be here for a long time, but again, Jerry gets set on one guy and then neglects a position...I don't want to see that with safety, which he has neglected as much as OL.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
But Elam is a player and knows the Ryan defense. He will save the franchise, right?

I get that Elam was our "biggest" free agent addition but no one expected him to save the franchise. Well, maybe Jerry did, but he's a moron.

Elam's problem is he has to line up the defense, cover his zone or man, and then try to cover Sensabaugh's zone or man on the plays his ADD has kicked in and he is wandering around the field. Elam will make some plays before it's over but playing next to Sensabaugh will handicap him.

Cythim

Reaction score
I get that Elam was our "biggest" free agent addition but no one expected him to save the franchise. Well, maybe Jerry did, but he's a moron.

Elam's problem is he has to line up the defense, cover his zone or man, and then try to cover Sensabaugh's zone or man on the plays his ADD has kicked in and he is wandering around the field. Elam will make some plays before it's over but playing next to Sensabaugh will handicap him.

He was getting tons of praise from certain posters before we picked him up thanks to last year's stat line.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He was getting tons of praise from certain posters before we picked him up thanks to last year's stat line.

Yep I remember. He is better than who we lined up at SS last year. Problem is, we took that clown and started him at FS, where he is a bigger liability.

Has anyone picked up on the cmd34 hates Gerald Sensabaugh theme yet?

Last edited:

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
My biggest thing with wanting Elam was that he new the D already from serving under Rob Ryan in the past. A new D with a lot of looks and a very short time to implement it.

I'm glad they signed him, and even more glad that it was for only a year. I'd probably want to upgrade him next year if we can. Him and Sensabum. Still can't get over the fact that Gerald is still here.

Top Bottom