Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
ESPN.com news services

Adrian Peterson has agreed to a new long-term contract extension with the Minnesota Vikings, the team announced Saturday.

The deal is for seven years, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Peterson had begun the final year of his rookie contract and was in position for a big pay day. After setting the NFL's single-game rushing record with 296 yards against San Diego in 2007, Peterson has been picked for the Pro Bowl in each of his four seasons. He's already second in Vikings history behind Robert Smith in yards rushing for his career.

"Adrian's performances on the field have given fans so much excitement since he first joined us as a rookie," Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said in a statement released by the team. "His talent and determination are remarkable and we are proud to have him be a part of the family for years to come."

Peterson's deal comes on the heels of Chris Johnson's six-year, $56 million contract extension with the Tennessee Titans.

Minnesota announced Monday it signed linebacker Chad Greenway to a new five-year deal.

The Vikings open the season against the Chargers on Sunday in their first meeting since Peterson's 296-yard game.

Reaction score
I guess it's a signing you have to make as an organization, but I'd hate it almost as much as the Ratliff signing in Dallas.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I guess it's a signing you have to make as an organization, but I'd hate it almost as much as the Ratliff signing in Dallas.

Yeah, 30 year old players and RBs in their mid-20s aren't typically good extensions.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
All depends on the specifics, I suppose. Guaranteed money, base salary per season, so on.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Here we go: $96 million with up to $100 mil in escalators. $36 million in guarantees, worth $40 million over the first three years of the deal.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
QBs, LTs and sack artists are the only players worth signing to big contracts, IMO.

You can find good runningbacks in every draft. They just aren't rare enough to break the bank for. Peterson is a special back, but he's not going to make or break your football team.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Seeing everyone sign their main guns for ton$ makes me believe the Cap Shall Rise !!!!!

It's hard to believe the cap was just 34 mil when it was implemented in 1994. You can't field a special teams roster with that amount of money today.

Top Bottom