dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Remind me again what exactly makes them so much smarter than anyone else in the league now? I saw the recent research on their drafting by someone at CZ, and it stinks. Here's another guy the "experts" were ewwing and awwing over because Belichick drafted him.

Source: Pats release Darius ButlerBy Mike Reiss
ESPNBoston.com

The New England Patriots have released cornerback Darius Butler, according to a league source.

Butler, a second-round pick (41st overall) in the 2009 draft, appeared in 29 games over two seasons, registering 54 tackles and three interceptions. After starting five games at left corner in 2009 and registering all three of those interceptions, he started just three games in 15 appearances in 2010.

Butler sent the following tweet shortly after being cut: "Its been real New England. I was blessed to have a chance to play and start my NFL career here. But its time to open a new chapter. Thx #patsnation."

Mike Reiss covers the Patriots for ESPNBoston.com.

Follow Mike Reiss on Twitter: @MikeReiss

Reaction score
Remind me again what exactly makes them so much smarter than anyone else in the league now? I saw the recent research on their drafting by someone at CZ, and it stinks. Here's another guy the "experts" were ewwing and awwing over because Belichick drafted him.

ESPNBoston.com

The New England Patriots have released cornerback Darius Butler, according to a league source.

Butler, a second-round pick (41st overall) in the 2009 draft, appeared in 29 games over two seasons, registering 54 tackles and three interceptions. After starting five games at left corner in 2009 and registering all three of those interceptions, he started just three games in 15 appearances in 2010.

Butler sent the following tweet shortly after being cut: "Its been real New England. I was blessed to have a chance to play and start my NFL career here. But its time to open a new chapter. Thx #patsnation."

I think its smart that they drop guys once they figure out if they can play or not; rather than keeping a guy around based on draft status.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Carolina claimed Butler tonight, assuming he passes a physical he will be a Panther tomorrow.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Bitches were getting upset here because we cut a 5th round rookie---who should have and could have been draft much later, this year that at best would have been the #6 CB behind a UFDA, that clearly outperformed him. But here, the Pats cut a 2nd rounder after just two seasons, and where's all the bloodletting?

Nah. You got fools here that want to pick players like Darius Butler up.

JPM

Practice Squad
Reaction score

ESPNBoston.com

They really haven't drafted great lately, but Brady covers it up, look at the Colts last 4-5 first round picks, they are awful, again Manning covers them up.

Reaction score
I think its smart that they drop guys once they figure out if they can play or not; rather than keeping a guy around based on draft status.

I think it's this, combined with their solid personnel decisions overall that allows them the ability to cut bait.

I mean, really dbair.... you give some teams the benefit of the doubt. The Patriots are one of them.

Reaction score
Bitches were getting upset here because we cut a 5th round rookie---who should have and could have been draft much later, this year that at best would have been the #6 CB behind a UFDA, that clearly outperformed him. But here, the Pats cut a 2nd rounder after just two seasons, and where's all the bloodletting?

Nah. You got fools here that want to pick players like Darius Butler up.

They gave him 3 seasons. We cut most of our 2009 draft a year or two ago, and are already starting on the 2011 draftees.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I mean, really dbair.... you give some teams the benefit of the doubt. The Patriots are one of them.

OK fine...but go look at the recent draft history there and explain to me why that would be. And by recent, I'm not just talking about the last year or two. You can go back 5 or 6 years.

They havent won a postseason game since 2007.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
They gave him 3 seasons. We cut most of our 2009 draft a year or two ago, and are already starting on the 2011 draftees.

TWO SEASONS. He was drafted in 2009. So he played the 2009-2010 season---that's ONE. Then he played the 2010-2011 season---that was just completed, that makes TWO.

I know we cut most of our 2009 draft. Were any of them 2nd rounders? But if you had read, that was not the point I was making. The point I was making is that draft status shouldn't be a determining factor in keeping a player if they are not performing. People squeled like a stuck pig over Thomas getting cut.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

He had two seasons.

That said, the 2009 draft class that busted for us wasnt 1st and 2nd rd guys we were giving up on. The Pats have been cutting those types of guys.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think it's this, combined with their solid personnel decisions overall that allows them the ability to cut bait.

It's because of their reputation that they shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt. Their scouting department dropped the ball on that. People are so phony---not saying you, but seriously, the Patriots could draft Quincy Carter and the media would have loved it.

It cannot go unnoticed that of late the Patriots have been dipping into free agency more frequently. They used to not do that as much.

Reaction score
TWO SEASONS. He was drafted in 2009. So he played the 2009-2010 season---that's ONE. Then he played the 2010-2011 season---that was just completed, that makes TWO.

I know we cut most of our 2009 draft. Were any of them 2nd rounders? But if you had read, that was not the point I was making. The point I was making is that draft status shouldn't be a determining factor in keeping a player if they are not performing. People squeled like a stuck pig over Thomas getting cut.

And this is season three where he went through camp and preseason.

Also the issue with Thomas was more to do with him being a current draftee from this year and the article which stated the Cowboys were disappointed he got picked up off waivers. If he sucks then he sucks, but if he has some kind of potential then you should give him more than just one training camp.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And this is season three where he went through camp and preseason.

Also the issue with Thomas was more to do with him being a current draftee from this year and the article which stated the Cowboys were disappointed he got picked up off waivers. If he sucks then he sucks, but if he has some kind of potential then you should give him more than just one training camp.

But he hasn't completed three seasons. We're talking regular. But that's the issue, evidently he didn't have enough potential to warrant a roster spot. Clearly they wanted him on their PS.

Garrett promised competition and we are seeing it. Out of 8 draft picks, we kept 6---with two of them starting, and one being an immediate contributor.

Last edited:

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
It's because of their reputation that they shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt. Their scouting department dropped the ball on that. People are so phony---not saying you, but seriously, the Patriots could draft Quincy Carter and the media would have loved it.It cannot go unnoticed that of late the Patriots have been dipping into free agency more frequently. They used to not do that as much.

Even you have to admit that when it comes to formulas for writing successful franchises. New England is near the very top. So yeah, they could recruit you to root for them, and ESPN would laud the move.

Soon it will be Green Bay's turn if they keep their track record up, and so on and so on.

Top Bottom