C

Cr122

Martellus Bennett has high-ankle sprain
August, 27, 2011

By Calvin Watkins

MINNEAPOLIS -- Tight end Martellus Bennett left the Metrodome in a walking boot and didn't want to speak about the right high-ankle sprain he sustained in the Cowboys' preseason win.

Bennett injured his ankle on a running play in the third quarter against the Minnesota Vikings.

Bennett was having a productive training camp and earning the praise of the coaches and his teammates for his work. However, he has two dropped passes the last two weeks.

Bennett needed help off the field and was carted off to the locker room. He could not put any weight on his leg.

This is not the same ankle Bennett injured prior to the start of training camp last year. He sprained his left ankle while running routes in preparing for the start of the season.

Cornerback Alan Ball suffered an elbow injury in the first half while returning a blocked field goal 20 yards for a touchdown. The long-term status of Ball, who was also having a productive summer, will be determined Sunday.

Cornerback Orlando Scandrick was dinged on a tackle but said after the game that he was OK.

Linebacker Orie Lemon was a late scratch for a sore hamstring. It was mainly a precautionary move.

C

Cr122

This injury could haunt Marty all year. High ankle sprains take awhile to heal.

Best way to come back from them is plenty of rest.

theogt

Reaction score
This truly sucks. He may damn well be the best run blocker on the entire team. I know he had the one drop, but it sounded like they were going to try and get him more involved in passing as well. People hate the guy because he makes an ass of himself, but I don't pay much attention to that. He's a damn good second TE, even if he never lives up to his draft position.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This truly sucks. He may damn well be the best run blocker on the entire team. I know he had the one drop, but it sounded like they were going to try and get him more involved in passing as well. People hate the guy because he makes an ass of himself, but I don't pay much attention to that. He's a damn good second TE, even if he never lives up to his draft position.

Yep, if he's out awhile he'll definitely be missed. If you look at the preseason games the run game has been going well, and he's been on the field for alot of the best rushing plays. None of the other TE's is remotely close to being as good as he is as a blocker.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Phillips is a pretty good blocker of his own accord oh and he catches balls thrown to him.

C

Cr122

Phillips is a pretty good blocker of his own accord oh and he catches balls thrown to him.

I agree with you, but Bennett has the edge on blocking over Phillips. Not by much.

Phillips can step right into the #2 tight end role and play well though. He has great hands.

Reaction score
Damn, I was really hoping that Marty B would finally blossom this year, especially with Phillips still looking a step off.

C

Cr122

Damn, I was really hoping that Marty B would finally blossom this year, especially with Phillips still looking a step off.

Phillips is just taking it easy in preseason, he'll be back to full speed when the season starts.

Reaction score
The team had big plans for Marty this year. And no, I'm not guessing.

I'm basing that off of a tweet Marty made after meeting with Garrett this off season.

C

Cr122

It'll be interesting to see what the plans are for Marty next year. The high ankle sprain will effect his play all year.

Next year, we may go in another direction.

theogt

Reaction score
Bennett out 2-4 weeks per Calvin Watkins.

Could have been worse.
Wow, that's a pretty short time span for a high ankle sprain, especially where the guy got carted off the field.

And Phillips is not in the same league as Bennett in terms of blocking. Phillips is good player and would be a decent #2, but Bennett's blocking is on another level.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, that's a pretty short time span for a high ankle sprain, especially where the guy got carted off the field.

And Phillips is not in the same league as Bennett in terms of blocking. Phillips is good player and would be a decent #2, but Bennett's blocking is on another level.

Looks like maybe it wasnt as severe a sprain, or maybe it wasnt as high up the ankle as some others. 2-4 weeks is definitely a positive. I was thinking he'd be gone closer to 2 months when we saw it.

And totally agree, Phillips is not the blocker Bennett is.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what the plans are for Marty next year. The high ankle sprain will effect his play all year.

Next year, we may go in another direction.

He had the high ankle sprain last preseason too, and he ended up having a pretty good yr. It doesnt sound like this one was as bad as either, as the prognosis of 2-4 weeks is pretty short.

C

Cr122

It's an injury that can linger no doubt, and he had it last year. Does anyone know if it's the same ankle?

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Phillips is good player and would be a decent #2, but Bennett's blocking is on another level.

Then it's pretty much a push because that's all Bennett has been his whole career.

I personally don't see this team missing a beat without him in the lineup.

Top Bottom