Reaction score
Stock Report: Dwayne Harris shines
August, 12, 2011

By Calvin Watkins
The first preseason game is over, but it's just the beginning for our weekly Stock Reports. We're back for another season to let you know who did well and who didn't.

Here we go:

STOCK UP

Dwayne Harris: The sixth-round pick had a monster game with five catches for 127 yards and two touchdowns. His 76-yard reception displayed his speed where he caught a two-yard pass from Stephen McGee and outran the defense. It's one thing to have speed and another thing to know how to use it and that's what Harris did by taking his time after catching the ball and putting it into a second gear once he saw some room. One of his best catches was on a slant where after catching the ball he ducked under a defender to get more yards.

Felix Jones: Do you have any more questions about whether or not Jones can become a lead back? Jones carried only three times but his 18 yard gain, up the middle, where he made several defenders miss, was a small sampling of what he could be this season. He also took a screen 16-yards. The best part about the reception is how Jones read the blocks and was patient before exploding down the field.

Victor Butler: He continues to impress the coaches and scouts and is making a case for more playing time in 2011. He finished with five tackles, tying veteran Bradie James, but Butler also had a tackle for loss and was quite active against the run. You always see player do a lot of big things in training camp but fail to deliver in the preseason, not Butler, who is off to a good start.

STOCK DOWN

Lonyae Miller: In training camp practices in San Antonio, Miller was very impressive against a variety of defenses. He showed a great burst and vision while getting down field. Too many times on Thursday night, Miller just ran into piles and didn't make anybody miss. Now the backup offensive lines struggled to make holes for him but it seemed Miller ran tired. He finished with 11 yards on nine carries.

First-team defense: This is a unit that finished 31st in scoring defense last season and gave up more points than any team in franchise history. Denver drove the length of the field against them on the first possession before settling for a field goal. There wasn't much of a push up front in terms of stopping the run, Knowshon Moreno had gains of 4, 6, 7 and 6 yards. Willis McGahee gained 5, 12 and three yards. There was also a 29-yard pass completion on third down. Things will get better as the players get more comfortable with the system.

Backup offensive line: The makeshift first-team was fine, as evident by Felix Jones' 7.7 yards per carry average, but Stephen McGee was sacked three times, Lonyae Miller couldn't find any holes (1.2 average) and there were seven quarterback hurries allowed. Cowboys might have find a veteran here in the next few days to help build some depth.

Reaction score
Anthony Spencer better perform man cause butler looked good and explosive off the ball. The only reason I see Spencer keeping his job though is his solid run defense and is ok when he drops in coverage.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'd like to see Harris get some plays with the first unit in the next game.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Anybody on this forum capable of creating a vid of dwayne harris' night last night. It's a shame that I cut it off after the 1st half.

Reaction score
Anybody on this forum capable of creating a vid of dwayne harris' night last night. It's a shame that I cut it off after the 1st half.

I know it was just preseason but when I was watching espn and they where showing highlights all they kept talking about was tebow...man I can't stand espn sometimes and for the highlights of the eagles game they pretty much showed the whole game lol

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I am a big Butler fan but outside of going almost unblocked on that pass rush I did not see much else.

I will have to pay closer attention on the replay.

The player that stood out the most to me was Hatcher, he looked very active and had several good hits on the QB.

C

Cr122

I am a big Butler fan but outside of going almost unblocked on that pass rush I did not see much else.

The player that stood out the most to me was Hatcher, he looked very active and had several good hits on the QB.

It was probably in Hatcher's best interest for Bowen to be traded. He's showing he can play.

Don't get me wrong I liked Bowen, but not anymore.

C

Cr122

It was probably in Hatcher's best interest for Bowen to be traded. He's showing he can play.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score

I watched the Replay and Butler did have a very good game his quickness was very evident.

If Hatcher can stay healthy, I could see him pushing for starters snaps and filling the Bowen role very nicely.

C

Cr122

I watched the Replay and Butler did have a very good game his quickness was very evident.

If Hatcher can stay healthy, I could see him pushing for starters snaps and filling the Bowen role very nicely.

Butler's good, but he'll be nothing but a backup here, unless an injury occurs to Ware or Spencer. I hope that never happens.

As far as Hatcher I think he could push Igor for some playing time. I also thought Geathers had a decent game. Nothing spectacular, but he played well.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Butler's good, but he'll be nothing but a backup here, unless an injury occurs to Ware or Spencer. I hope that never happens.

As far as Hatcher I think he could push Igor for some playing time. I also thought Geathers had a decent game. Nothing spectacular, but he played well.

I will not be surprised if Olshansky is cut, he looked terrible the other night.

C

Cr122

I will not be surprised if Olshansky is cut, he looked terrible the other night.

I thought they were going to cut him with the others. Hatcher and Geathers can fill in for him no problem.

Top Bottom