Reaction score
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said right guard Montrae Holland's prolonged absence with a back injury was the foundation of the decision to move Kyle Kosier to the right side from the left.

Fourth-round pick David Arkin had been playing right guard next to rookie top-pick Tyron Smith at right tackle. The Cowboys wanted to break up the two rookies and put a veteran next to Smith for communication purposes.

"The initial thought is to address Montrae being out and Kyle [having] played the right side earlier in his career," Jason Garrett said Tuesday morning. "We think working him next to Tyron Smith can be helpful. Having a more veteran guy in there typically can help the younger player, really with the calls at the line of scrimmage. They happen quicker and they can get on the same page quicker before the play starts and hopefully you can see him play more decisively when the ball is snapped."

That might not be the end of the line shuffling. The Cowboys are waiting for Holland to get back. But what's also true is that they are not happy with the condition he came to camp in.

Look for the Cowboys to experiment with centers Andre Gurode and Phil Costa at guard when Gurode is cleared to practice. Gurode has been out since the start of camp following off-season knee surgery. If the Cowboys are comfortable with Costa at center, they could move the three-time Pro Bowler Gurode to guard, a position he played early in his career.

"We are looking at different combinations up there to see what works best for our offense line," Garrett said.

-- Clarence E. Hill Jr.

Reaction score
We kicked his tires. Jerry decided he just trusts the shit out of Holland. And with everything Holland has accomplished here, can you blame Jerry?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Waiting on Holland? This isn't waiting on Larry Allen in his prime to take back his place in line after rehabbing an injury. Let's move on from Montrae, he's not that good.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is why I think Jerry is having "money issues" since building a pyramid in the middle of a recession and then not getting naming rights. I don't think he's broke (so calm down sunshine pupmers) but something has definitely changed. I just don't understand how someone who wants to win as much as I believe Jerry does can go into the last two seasons (Alan Ball last year, Holland this year) with such glaring, obvious as hell, holes on his team. I'm not suggesting you throw money at big-name free agents every chance you get, but you can't keep ignoring these problems and then wonder what happened.

Last edited:

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The salary cap is still the same and we're at the cap limit. I don't think it has anything to do with money issues.

Rev

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Cap update (Hal 3000)

Cap Update (8/10/2011) -- $6,674,861 under

After restructuring the contracts of DeMarcus Ware and Miles Austin, guaranteeing (and thus prorating) Dez Bryant's $1 million roster bonus and using our three $1 million exemptions, we currently are $6,674,861 under the salary cap. Things change every day, but as of this morning (8/10/2011), we have the 17th-most cap room in the league, including more than the Eagles ($3,994,520) or Giants ($5,310,832).

We saved $6.284 million of cap room by restructuring Austin's contract, lowering his base salary from $8.54 million to $685,000 and paying him the difference as a signing bonus. Austin's cap number this year is only $2.256 million, and it's only $2.721 million next year.

We saved $5.362 million of cap room by restructuring Ware's contract, lowering his base salary from $6.7 million to $685,000, paying him the difference as a signing bonus as well as converting his $500,000 workout bonus into signing bonus. When his contract was restructured, it also eliminated the phony LTBE incentives that were put in place in 2009 to comply with the 30 Percent Rule -- $150,000 this year, $4.15 million in 2012 and $4.95 million in 2013. Along with lowering his cap number by $5.362 million this year, Ware's cap number was lowered by $2.847 million in 2012 and by $3.647 million in 2013.

We saved $750,000 of cap room this year by guaranteeing Bryant's roster bonus.

If we need more cap room for any reason, we still have plenty of ways to create it, such as restructuring Tony Romo's contract (which could save more than $5.4 million). And remember, any unused cap room can be carried over into next season without the need for exploiting the old LTBE loophole like teams used to have to do. The new CBA allows a team to carry over unused cap room simply by informing the NFL that it wants to do so 14 days before the next League Year begins.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The salary cap is still the same and we're at the cap limit. I don't think it has anything to do with money issues.

Exactly. And none of that has anything to do with Jerry's personal finances, whatever they may be. Jerry and any and all the other owners cannot take money out of their own pockets and pay players. Why am I not surpriosed that people think otherwise?

Top Bottom