Reaction score
Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan joined 103.3 KESN-FM Monday to talk about training camp. Here are some highlights:

Has anyone asked you to tone down the trash-talking and swagger?

"I don't think so. I think our guys know me. This is the way it's always been. It's just usually at spots where nobody cares. Cleveland and Oakland are different than Dallas. You say anything here in Dallas, it's on. That's just the way it is, the way I believe. And our guys, we've got the talent to back anything up."

What's the most important thing you're trying to do in camp?

"We have to have a multiple defense, so they have to have confidence in what we're doing, and I know they do. ... Apparently the group had lost a little bit of confidence last season. We've got six, seven Pro Bowlers over there on defense. They know how to do it, and we're going to make sure they know and they get after it."

Can Mike Jenkins and Anthony Spencer get back to where they were in 2009?

"Mike got banged up a little bit with his neck [last season], but he's had nothing but confidence. He was sticking people in the running game, blowing them up. Spencer had a great day rushing the passer yesterday. If we were counting sacks, he'd have had three. Those two guys are definitely instrumental in our plans."

New Cowboys safety Abe Elam also talked to the radio station. Elam, who played under Ryan the last two seasons in Cleveland, explained what he can bring to help the Cowboys:

"I'm experienced in the system. I'll be able to communicate well, being that I've taken on this role the last two years in Cleveland. I understand what coach Ryan is looking for out of his players, and I just want to make sure I'm accountable in giving this team everything I can."

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
We'll lose him to some awful team that fires their head coach in 2 years. I think he's have too much fun right now though. Best group of guys he's had ever to work with.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
He's not leaving.. Garrett dies in a roller coaster accident mid-season.

Ryan becomes our head coach.

63echo

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if he's one and done. I'm concerned about who would replace him though, since anyone on staff worth anything will likely go with him. Any early candidates?

Campo might still be around, so there's that.

Reaction score
My hope is that when Ryan leaves after this season, Jerry offers Eferblus (or whatever his name is) a lot of money to stay.

He's been with Rob from the beginign, but if he has aspirations of becoming a head coach, then staying in Dallas with the best pass rusher in football, and an offense loaded to force opponents to always try to score, is the best way to go.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We'll lose him to some awful team that fires their head coach in 2 years. I think he's have too much fun right now though. Best group of guys he's had ever to work with.

Maybe not. He no doubts wants to be an HC, but at the same time he wants the right job. I'm assuming that Erbuflus(sp) is being groomed to take over for him if and when he does leave. Personally, I can see him going to the Giants if Coughlin fails to make it to the post season for the third consecutive time. Imagine having both Ryans in New York. That'll be almost as bad as the Favre Watch with the networks, specifically with ESPN.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My hope is that when Ryan leaves after this season, Jerry offers Eferblus (or whatever his name is) a lot of money to stay.

He's been with Rob from the beginign, but if he has aspirations of becoming a head coach, then staying in Dallas with the best pass rusher in football, and an offense loaded to force opponents to always try to score, is the best way to go.

Switch the 'b' and the 'f'. LOL. Yeah, Jerry needs to retain him. Because I can imagine Ryan bringing him along to be his DC.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if he's one and done. I'm concerned about who would replace him though, since anyone on staff worth anything will likely go with him. Any early candidates?

Campo might still be around, so there's that.

Depends what their contract is. The Cowboys don't have to let any of them go, other than Ryan obviously.

theogt

Reaction score
The more he says things like this, and he says them everywhere, the less impact they have. It's as if he's willing to say that even if Alan Ball were at safety.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
The more he says things like this, and he says them everywhere, the less impact they have. It's as if he's willing to say that even if Alan Ball were at safety.

That's what I'm getting. He's being brash almost for the sake of it.

63echo

Reaction score
Depends what their contract is. The Cowboys don't have to let any of them go, other than Ryan obviously.

You're right. I keep forgetting about the promotion rules.

Though I don't know a whole lot about him, I like the idea that EBERFLUS (ahem!) might stay...guess it depends on where Ryan might go and what kind of defense the Flus would have to work with there.

C

Cr122

I've been critical of Spencer, but I hope he has a great year and is a force opposite Ware this year.

We want teams to have to worry about pressure coming from both sides. Can't wait to get this season started.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
When Rob Ryan leaves he'll more than likely take Eberflus with him as DC... Maybe we'll finally get Capers...

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Ryan being brash, keeps all the heat off his players and on him. I like that. Jimmy did that to keep the guys focused on the games and practice and less on the trash talk etc etc.

Top Bottom