C

Cr122

First Posted: 8/1/11 07:17 PM ET Updated: 8/1/11 07:17 PM ET

WASHINGTON -- The House passed a bill on Monday evening to cut spending by $2.1 trillion and raise the debt ceiling until 2013, just one day before the Aug. 2 deadline for the government to begin defaulting on its loans.

The deal passed mostly on the back of House Republicans, with 269 votes for the deal and 161 against it. Among the 240 Republicans, 174 supported the bill.

House Democrats were furious, with some members calling the bill a "Satan sandwich" and most of the Congressional Progressive Caucus vowing to vote against it. In the end, however, 95 Democrats voted to support the bill, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), who is recovering from a gun shot wound.

By approving the bill, which should easily pass the Senate on Tuesday, the House allowed the government to avoid a historic default on the nation's loans. But first, it had to anger plenty of progressives on the left and Tea Partiers on the right, both of whom opposed the deal.

Leadership on both sides insisted that though the deal was not perfect, it made the best of a difficult situation. With the House led by Republicans and the Senate and White House led by Democrats, Congress was gridlocked for months over how to raise the debt ceiling, with congressional Republicans walking away from the negotiating table multiple times.

By Sunday, when a deal had been cemented, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) faced a tough task: selling the bill to his conference, many of whom have opposed raising the debt limit unless tied to passage of a balanced budget amendment. Conservative members of the House GOP conference revolted against a debt ceiling plan presented by Boehner last week, forcing him to revise the bill's provision on the balanced budget amendment at the last minute to win more votes.

The final deal includes a requirement to vote on the balanced budget amendment, making it more like the original Boehner bill. But he insisted to his members that it brought them closer to passage of the amendment than ever before.

Reaction score
Increase the spending this year. Cut the spending over a ten year period.

Our country is so fucked.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Increase the spending this year. Cut the spending over a ten year period.

Our country is so fucked.

There's no fixing it either. Going to have to burn it down and rebuild it.

Cythim

Reaction score
We had a budget surplus in the late '90s... then someone cut taxes without cutting spending and we've gone out of control since then.

Reaction score
I hate America.

I really do.

Everyone who wants to talk about this being the best country in the world is full of shit. That's an outdated expression.

This country fucking sucks.

Edit : I'm a 9 year military vet, so fuck you with your "love it or leave it" comments, you fucking hippies.

Reaction score
Taxes will get raised once the Bush tax cuts expire in Jan. '13. Then the "congressional committee" will likely raise taxes too, probably in some type of disguise. Also, there's no real spending cuts in the foreseeable future. And the only "cuts" aren't actual cuts but just a lesser increase in future increased spending.

Congress is so full of BS, they can raise taxes without calling it a tax increase and can increase spending while calling it a spending cut. This whole thing is a bogus charade. And Obama accomplished him main object, he just kicked the debt ceiling into 2013 after next years election, which was his biggest concern.

Reaction score
We gotta get this passed or we can't afford to pay social security or our military!!!!!!!!!

~strokes billion dollar check to Pakistan~

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I hate the way these asshats used this situation as a political football.

Nobody thought they wouldn't get a deal done in a timely matter.

But they had fun scaring the vets,seniors and the disabled in the process.

They had to posture and pose to see which party could be the "heroes".

Our fucking political system is one continuous re-election campaign.

Reaction score
We need a revolution. An overhaul. But American's are too comfortable, lazy, apathetic, and easily distracted.

I fucking hate this country.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
I love this Country. I hate the Politicians that have over promised and borrowed to give it. All for votes.

Cythim

Reaction score
I love this Country. I hate the Politicians that have over promised and borrowed to give it. All for votes.

This is what pisses me off most. They are too busy politicking that they can't be bothered to actually run the government. I'm going to get more involved to get my incumbent congresswoman unseated because of how she acted during this whole ordeal.

Plymkr

Reaction score
I love this country, but, scared to death of the government.

A revolution is BADLY needed. My fear is who would lead the revolution? It definately wouldn't be like America once was. Probably more like a shittier Mexico or something.

That would suck.

Top Bottom