superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
...a team loaded up on big name Free agents and traded for new pieces and it all worked perfectly and they won the super bowl?

Yeah me neither.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
remember when teams used to get skwered for doing that....Me too.

That locker room is so combustible. I really hope our xmas eve game against them means a whole lot.

Reaction score
I was listening to Mike&Mike this morning and I caught Schefter on there. They were literally calling what the Eagles have done "amazing" and thought it was just incredible.

No one seems to be bringing up the fact that teams have tried this before, and it's never worked.

It's going to be a very interesting year in Philadelphia. There's a lot of pressure that comes with being a "Dream Team." Vince Young said it, and that label will follow them around all year.

If they struggle at any time, it might get ugly.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah I want to clarify, I don't think anything the Eagles have done has been wrong. They fleeced the Cards. Signing Asomugha was great. Babin was a good pickup for them.

It's just that this never works. We've tried it before, too. The recipe for winning in the NFL is always the same - draft well and keep your core together long enough to where they can win it all.

I read an article last week, can't remember where it is, but basically it made the point that 5-11 is not that much different than 11-5 in the NFL. Since the sample size is so small, teams can get hot for a month or have an easy schedule and even though your record says one thing the reality is that you weren't that good (or alternatively, you weren't that bad). If you carried it out of a 160 game season, something like baseball, there would be much different results.

While I'm not at all pleased that we haven't figured anything out at safety, and our Oline is filled with uncertainty, what the Eagles have done is certainly not making me sweat. They are one of the ultimate failing NFL franchises who are trying out a strategy that has never worked in the history of the NFL.

Big fucking deal.

JPM

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yeah I want to clarify, I don't think anything the Eagles have done has been wrong. They fleeced the Cards. Signing Asomugha was great. Babin was a good pickup for them.

It's just that this never works. We've tried it before, too. The recipe for winning in the NFL is always the same - draft well and keep your core together long enough to where they can win it all.

I read an article last week, can't remember where it is, but basically it made the point that 5-11 is not that much different than 11-5 in the NFL. Since the sample size is so small, teams can get hot for a month or have an easy schedule and even though your record says one thing the reality is that you weren't that good (or alternatively, you weren't that bad). If you carried it out of a 160 game season, something like baseball, there would be much different results.

While I'm not at all pleased that we haven't figured anything out at safety, and our Oline is filled with uncertainty, what the Eagles have done is certainly not making me sweat. They are one of the ultimate failing NFL franchises who are trying out a strategy that has never worked in the history of the NFL.

Big fucking deal.
You forgot Vince Young, they signed Vince Young. Vince Young will lead them to a SB when Vick goes down.

Vince Young.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
THe last time we went on a free agency spree was 06. And Jerry has gone on record many times since then because of how poor the players they brought in were for the most part that he would never do that again.

Brian Gaine was the guy I think he held responsible and I think Jerry couldnt wait to get him out of here and send him to miami.

As for the eagles, it worked for them in a sense in 04. Owens, kearse and others....but this is much different and that was a better team.

Reaction score
One thing the Eagles in '04 had going for them was playing in a weak division and conference.

They played the Falcons in the NFC title game for crying out loud.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
In 04 they also did things to address their biggest weaknesses. They seem to have upgraded their strengths, barely addressed their biggest weaknesses, etc.

Reaction score
I like almost everything about them except their QB. Guy is soft and their team isnt scary like they used to be.

Although they have 3 corners better than any of our DB's

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
yep both true.

the cowboys giants and skins were all lousy in 04....the quarterbacks they beat wiith that very good defense were very poor, they were still very good though.

I have to admit though I love it like this. Nothing is beter than truly being the underdog. Nationally and locally.

The local espn 103.3 radio station is basically wall to wall cowboys talk and 90% of it is they are not any good because they didnt sign any players.

I just flipped on ben n skin who are absolutely awful talking about football and breaking down what is going on and they are just bagging on the team left and right.

although irritating I am glad this is happening the only other times I remember it like this were 03 and 09. Nothing better than being the unkown team.

Plus I love that mortensen and king are saying namdi and jenkins went to philly because that is the team that can win the superbowl.

If I am in the locker room I have more than enough ammo to be amped up for the season, throw in how much rhetoric the coaches have been armed with we should see a fired up team every week.

Reaction score
Has everyone been crying over the Eagles? My concern right now is our own team.

Who knows what they will trot back there at safety and they ignored the line for so long it will come back to bite them this year. They need to overhaul 3 interior OL positions in the next couple years and by then they will be ready to gear up for 1 more run w/ Romo.

Their play-calling is going to have to be scaled down this year to protect Romo. Lot of screens and quick stuff.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
just for fun. I flipped over to the fan...and they were having a discussion about how bad Dallas is also.

Josh lewin who is the play by play voice of the chargers just said from what he sees at camp right now they are not any good and cant compete in week 1 with the jets...

Reaction score
I mentioned that before. We lost Nnamdi to a rival.

Never mind that Nnamdi threads a few months/weeks ago got met w/ stern :thisaintmadden: responses.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wonder if they're really trying to deal Asante. If they could deal him and actually get some help for their biggest weaknesses (LB OL) then it will be impressive. What the difference between Asante and that other dude they had and Cromartie and Asomugha. Decent upgrade, but at the same time it's taking a position of strength and making it slightly stronger.

Reaction score
I dont know of any teams that would trade a starting tackle, but Jesus even if they get a 2nd for him they are loaded.

People suck on the Pats nuts all the time but the Eagles have been killing it. And they upgraded at QB on the fly whilst raising the value of their so far meh backup QB to a 2nd.

The Pats stumbled across Brady, cheated, and have been whatever since.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I mentioned that before. We lost Nnamdi to a rival.

Never mind that Nnamdi threads a few months/weeks ago got met w/ stern :thisaintmadden: responses.

Considering all the reports of how he wanted to play for Philly all along, and the fact that we offered alot less than Philly did, I dont think we lost him as much as they won him.

You cant sign everybody.

Top Bottom