C

Cr122

Safety is one position Cowboys must fill
July, 21, 2011
By Calvin Watkins

The lockout could end at some point this weekend. Maybe today.

We hope.

In terms of the Cowboys, this team needs help at several positions, and safety is the biggest issue for this team coming out of the lockout.

The two starting safeties from 2010, Gerald Sensabaugh and Alan Ball were inconsistent last year.

Ball was tied for the league lead with seven touchdowns allowed. Sensabaugh, while tied with Terence Newman for the team-lead with five interceptions, struggled at the start of the season. Sensabaugh probably tried to compensate for Ball's weakness.

Ball is being moved back to his natural position of corner and Sensabaugh is an unrestricted free agent. While Sensabaugh would like a fair market deal, finding the right fit in a scheme is important to him.

The Cowboys have some players on their roster who might take over one of the safety spots: Danny McCray, Barry Church, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah and Andrew Sendejo. Yet those players are unproven.

The free agent market is where the team most likely will get at least one of the two safety spots filled.

A debate rages as to who is the best safety on the market.

Sensabaugh is out there and played 929 snaps last season.

Danieal Manning didn't allow a touchdown last season, according to Pro Football Focus, and out of 925 defensive snaps quarterbacks had a 59.7 quarterback rating against him when throwing in his direction.

There are others such as Quintin Mikell, in which offenses averaged 11.7 yards per catch against him, Michael Huff, who gave up three touchdowns out of 1,009 snaps, Eric Weddle, who allowed 12.7 yards per catch and Abram Elam the former Cowboys special teamer. Let's not forget Dawan Landry and Brodney Pool.

Manning and Elam might have a slight edge over the other safeties on the market. Manning can also return kicks, and Elam has played for new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, when he was in Cleveland. Huff might be too expensive, especially with the Cowboys trying to lock up left tackle Doug Free long-term and getting under the $120 million salary cap. The other safeties futures are uncertain.

The Cowboys could go with a veteran at the free safety spot and then get one of the young players, Church possibly, to play strong safety. It seems Ryan would like to blitz more this season, and expects it to come from different spots on the field, and that includes sending corners and safeties.

Last year, the Cowboys pass rush struggled to take some pressure off the secondary. It left corners such as Mike Jenkins and Newman in vulnerable situations. If Ryan can fix the front seven, then maybe adding a younger player at strong safety will be Ok.

But this market for safeties is pretty strong and while the team does need to take care of the left tackle and left guard positions, they can't afford to mess up at safety.

C

Cr122

Danieal Manning didn't allow a touchdown last season, according to Pro Football Focus, and out of 925 defensive snaps quarterbacks had a 59.7 quarterback rating against him when throwing in his direction.

That's impressive.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dawan Landry and Michael Huff would be ideal. Substitute Elam for either and I'd still be happy.

C

Cr122

I wouldn't complain if we signed Manning either. He's a very good cover safety.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Cowboys could go with a veteran at the free safety spot and then get one of the young players, Church possibly, to play strong safety. It seems Ryan would like to blitz more this season, and expects it to come from different spots on the field, and that includes sending corners and safeties.

Ummmmm......No.

We might as well start this at strong safety....

pf-4602-d.jpg

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm wondering how Akwasi Owusu-Ansah will progress. We drafted him to be a safety. Maybe he'll show something this year.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm wondering how Akwasi Owusu-Ansah will progress. We drafted him to be a safety. Maybe he'll show something this year.

I think even if he shows something, it will be tough to hand him the starting job. still very raw.

C

Cr122

The way I see it with this lockout and having little time to prepare for the season, guys like AOA are not going to be that effective.

Remember, he missed all of last year. We didn't have OTA's and mini camps this year. That hurts.

Reaction score

His college ball was Division II in the PSAC, and the thing (rtn kicks) that he was supposed to be good at he sucked at. I wouldn't hold out much hope for him.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The way I see it with this lockout and having little time to prepare for the season, guys like AOA are not going to be that effective.

Remember, he missed all of last year. We didn't have OTA's and mini camps this year. That hurts.

All that time he sat out wasn't wasted. He was able to watch from the sidelines. I won't consider him a rookie this year.

C

Cr122

Bottom line is we need to sign two safeties through free agency. Let these other guys learn from a guy like Huff, Landry, Pool, and Elam.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dawan Landry and Michael Huff would be ideal. Substitute Elam for either and I'd still be happy.

Landry and Elam are JAGS IMO, guys who dont cover much ground and dont make many plays. We'd be looking to upgrade them all the time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
His college ball was Division II in the PSAC, and the thing (rtn kicks) that he was supposed to be good at he sucked at. I wouldn't hold out much hope for him.

Yeah, lets give up on a talented 4th rounder after only a season. SMART!

Doesnt seem you hold out much hope for anyone associated with the franchise. Not even sure why you bother to post.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Landry and Elam are JAGS IMO, guys who dont cover much ground and dont make many plays. We'd be looking to upgrade them all the time.

Of course the second we sign them you'll be comparing them to Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson.

Reaction score
Yeah, lets give up on a talented 4th rounder after only a season. SMART!

Doesnt seem you hold out much hope for anyone associated with the franchise. Not even sure why you bother to post.

He was a reach in the 4th another awesome pick by the Jerrah. I didn't say quit on him, I said I wouldn't hold out much hope for him. You really need help.

Top Bottom