Reaction score
Soft Cap? Spongy Floor? More Cowboys Cap Room?

Posted by Rafael at Thursday, July 21, 2011

Rumors from two major sources today suggest the cap will be pliable in the early years of the CBA and contain protections for veterans with big salaries. Pro Football Talk reports that:

...the new deal is expected to protect veterans from becoming cap casualties. We also hear there’s language in the deal that good agents will exploit for veteran players.

PFT's report is echoed by Ravens Insider and the National Football Post's Aaron Wilson, who cites a source ''with direct knowledge of the labor talks,'' that the major cap cuts anticipated probably won't materialize, and that the cap will be a soft one in the initial years of the CBA. (See Twitter feed at right for Wilson's full remarks.) The same source claims the $120 million proposed cap could actually wind up as the cap floor.

This is all good news for the Cowboys, the team most over the cap, wherever it may eventually be. A higher floor makes it easier for the team to sign left tackle Doug Free and to consider dipping its toe, and perhaps a foot, into the free agent pool.

C

Cr122

Yeah, I suppose it would help us out a bit.

Nothing spectacular though.

Reaction score
So the people who said you shouldn't get in a tiff over the cap, when the details of the CBA aren't even known yet, might have been right afterall, eh?

C

Cr122

So the people who said you shouldn't get in a tiff over the cap, when the details of the CBA aren't even known yet, might have been right afterall, eh?

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, we don't know for sure yet.

I won't believe anything until this sucker is voted on, and signed.

I just hope one of these sources didn't come from the zone.

Reaction score
On the radio they talked about teams being able to go over the cap when resigning their own players with no penalty. that would solve the Free and Bowen issue.

Reaction score
On the radio they talked about teams being able to go over the cap when resigning their own players with no penalty. that would solve the Free and Bowen issue.

A sort of Larry Bird rule, right?

That's how it should be. Reward teams who draft well.

Wait... that might not be good for us in the long-term.

Top Bottom