sbk92

Reaction score
By JON MACHOTA
Special contributor to SportsDayDFW.com

Cowboys cornerback Bryan McCann is anxious for a return to the football field. The SMU product saw action in nine games as a rookie last season and feels he will be much improved with a year under his belt.

“I’m ready to get back out on the field,” he said Saturday. “Ever since you’ve been in high school, even when you weren’t in season, you still had your off-season, spring ball workouts, and we were deprived of that this year. This is the longest I’ve gone without football since high school, so I’m getting that itch.”

McCann joined teammates Dez Bryant and Martellus Bennett on the basketball court Saturday for Josh Howard’s celebrity game at the P.C. Cobb Complex in Dallas.

As a rookie, McCann returned a 101-yard interception for a score during Week 10, and returned a punt for another score the following week. Despite the NFL lockout, he has remained in contact with 2010 rookies Akwasi Owusu-Ansah , Barry Church, Lonyae Miller and Danny McCray. McCann said he has been hitting the weights with Owusu-Ansah at least twice a week.

“I’ve been in the weight room since two weeks after the Super Bowl,” McCann said. “I’m waiting to get back on the field to show myself and my peers my improvement and go out there are perform and do better than what I did last season.”

Of course, McCann’s experiences as a rookie have him better prepared for what to expect in his second season as a pro. He also believes his body is in better condition now that he’s had some extra off-season time to rest.

“As a college senior, coming out and going into the NFL, you’re playing a year and a half straight, because you go from your season to your bowl game to training and your pro day,” he explained. “So I got a little bit of time off and got my legs back up under me, so I definitely think it will show up on the field.”

Fortunately for McCann, he said he was able to sit down with his new defensive coordinator, Rob Ryan, before the lockout was implemented. And the 23-year-old seems to be a fan of the scheme that Ryan will be running when the lockout is lifted.

“I got a chance to sit down and meet with all the new coaches,” he said. “I’m excited to play for Rob. I like his style of defense and he’s obviously one of the best at what he does. I’m excited to be able to play in his system.”

Reaction score
What are peoples expectations from McCann?

Will those back to back returns be all we ever get from him, or do people think he could actually develop into a serviceable player in the league?

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What are peoples expectations from McCann?

Will those back to back returns be all we ever get from him, or do people think he could actually develop into a serviceable player in the league?

he reminds me of lance frazier who we grabbed midway through the 04 season. I hope he is better, he was a better college player but he seems like he is from the same cut.

Reaction score
he reminds me of lance frazier who we grabbed midway through the 04 season. I hope he is better, he was a better college player but he seems like he is from the same cut.

So... basically nothing.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So... basically nothing.

I hope not. He is more talented than frazier but he reminded me of him!

Hopefully he can find a way to stick. His kick return ability will be what keeps him here most likely.
Newman, jenkins, scandrick, ball and josh thomas at corner are probably set.

There will have to be some serious issues if we keep 6 corners, unless ball is backup safety/corner.....in which case god help us all.

Safety and corner are going to be interesting throughout camp this year.

Reaction score
I hope not. He is more talented than frazier but he reminded me of him!

Hopefully he can find a way to stick. His kick return ability will be what keeps him here most likely.
Newman, jenkins, scandrick, ball and josh thomas at corner are probably set.

There will have to be some serious issues if we keep 6 corners, unless ball is backup safety/corner.....in which case god help us all.

Safety and corner are going to be interesting throughout camp this year.

Interesting that you think Ball is set. I don't think he is at all. In fact, I''d say hes a good candidate to hit the bricks.

Top Bottom