Reaction score
Lee Closer To A Breakout Than Dez?
Posted by jellis at 6/23/2011 3:43 PM CDT on dallascowboys.com

Even with Roy Williams' recent comments that the lockout benefits veterans, it's really no secret that this NFL is a young man's game.

With that in mind, Bucky Brooks of NFL.com sizes up the breakout potential of several players heading into their second season. While Dez Bryant was certainly the Cowboys' most exciting player last year, and may even be the most talented on the entire roster, an up-and-comer who is often overlooked is Sean Lee, the team's No. 2 pick in 2010.

"The Cowboys need an infusion of speed and athleticism at the linebacker corps," Brooks writes. "Lee not only provides those qualities, but he is an instinctive playmaker with a knack for getting around the ball. His two-interception game against the Indianapolis Colts provided Jason Garrett with a preview of his potential impact in the lineup."

Might Lee, who battled through a series of injuries that kept him from making an early impact as a rookie, be better suited to star this season than Bryant? It's quite possible, actually.

Both players were plagued by nagging injuries, as rookies often are, but Lee is probably farther along in his physical maturation process than Bryant, as he will be 25 when training camp starts, while Bryant won't turn 23 until November. In addition to the athletic demands of their respective positions, it often takes wide receivers longer to peak in the NFL because of the complexities of the offenses and the time needed to create a connection with their quarterback.

While Bryant and Tony Romo have had some chances to play catch in the player-only workouts this offseason, it hasn't been as much as they would get in a typical spring and summer. Lee, meanwhile, is learning a new defense, but doing so at the same speed as veterans Bradie James and Keith Brooking.

While both of those players are likely to play key roles, Brooks is right that the Cowboys linebacker situation is greatly in need of more youth and athleticism. Offensively, meanwhile, there are still only so many balls to go around. While Bryant is certainly promising, Jason Witten and Miles Austin must be fed first, one would think.

So it actually seems quite possible that Lee could have a bigger impact in 2011 than Bryant.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I would say that right now more depends on the success of Sean Lee's performance than Bryant's.

C

Cr122

I've never doubted Lee, and I still think he's going to be an All Pro on this team.

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I like Sean Lee alot, but I'm sorry barring injury Dez Bryant will be the best and most feared weapon on the Dallas Cowboys period. End. Of. Story. That's how much of a beast this guy will be. Mark it down.

Reaction score
Dez Bryant already broke out last year.

He's got a high light reel from 11 games that many 4 or 5 year vets would kill to have.

I'm not slighting Lee in the least. I've been beating his drumb since before the 2010 draft, but lets be real... this season, Lee will still be in a heavy rotation with Brookings :)suicide), Brady, and eventually Carter.

While Bryant will be in a receiver rotation, he'll still not only get more snaps due to the teams propensity towards three receiver sets, as well as him being undeniably more talented than any receiver not named Austin, but also because he'll be on special teams.

C

Cr122

Yeah, I would say Dez is already there. If he doesn't get injured, he'd been named ROTY.

This year, I think Lee has his breakout season.

C

Cr122

Yeah, I would say Dez is already there. If he doesn't get injured, he'd been named ROTY.

This year, I think Lee has his breakout season.

Reaction score
Put down the pipe and back away slowly...

Sacramento tries to be a pot stirrer like sbk. He's just not as good as it yet.

Sac.. next time mention something about Dez being a ******, and the 42nd best receiver in the NFC East.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
This is no gimmick. Murray is gonna be a 4-way TD scorer: rushing, receving, kick and punt returns.

He's gonna have the most all-purpose yardage for the next 4 years.

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Sacramento tries to be a pot stirrer like sbk. He's just not as good as it yet.

Sac.. next time mention something about Dez being a ******, and the 42nd best receiver in the NFC East.
LMFAO...

Top Bottom