Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I called directv last night to "cancel" my Sunday ticket package, obviously thinking they'd knock some money off of the deal.

I've had it for over 10 years. You'd think they'd try and talk me into staying. Nope. All I got was a "sorry to lose your business, okay, have a good night."

I was like WTF?

I call back today to cancel my whole directv package because I was a little pissed about last night. Right off the bat the guy offered me $100 off of Sunday Ticket if I re-upped this year and a nice discount on the overall package I have right now.

I told him I'd think about it and call back later.

Has anyone had more knocked off of their Sunday ticket price? I'm thinking of calling back and telling them it's still too high. Maybe ask them to knock off $175.

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me last year, where I tried to cancel Sunday Ticket thinking they'd offer me a discount. Nope.

They asked why I was cancelling, and I told them it was getting too expensive. "Okay, the change has been made to your account."

I had to swallow some pride in calling back a few days later to re-order.

Not sure if I'll try again this year. I think it's up to $335, right?

For me, sitting in front of the television from 1pm-11pm on Sundays, watching an assortment of games, is priceless. But it seems Directv is hell bent on testing me.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yeah, $335.

Call and threaten to cancel your whole package. Tell them the only thing they have to offer over other companies is the Ticket. Tell them since you can't afford the ST, you'll be going with another cable company alltogether. I hvae a contract until 2013 with them, he tried telling me that I'd owe like $385 if I cancelled. I told him the other company is willing to pay the cancellation fee, lol.

Make sure when you call in to the recording, when she asks you what you want to do, say "Cancel Service".

That automatically takes you to the wheel and deal department.

I'll let you know how my next attempt to get them even further down on their price goes. I'm hoping to at least get them down to $200 for the ST.

Reaction score
Why do you have a contract until 2013? I thought they only did 1 year contracts from the date your service is first installed?

If they told me I had to have a 2+ year contract, I'd threaten to kill their families. They'd know I meant business then.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Why do you have a contract until 2013? I thought they only did 1 year contracts from the date your service is first installed?

I honestly have no idea. When we moved last year, I think it had something to do with signing for a few years so that we wouldn't have to pay to have it re-installed.

I really don't know and I didn't even ask. When I call back I'm going to ask, though.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It really is getting outrageous. Like you guys though I cant live without it.

I am going to try and pull the shenanigans like everyone else does once the cba is agreed upon and they start billing.

I have had it since 98. I cant imagine not having it. I will feel lost not being able to watch every game from the nfc east teams.

at some point though it has to stop going up 25 or 35 dollars every year.

Reaction score
My first year was 2001, and if memory serves, it was 175.

10 years later, and it's 335.

And we're getting less games, on account of their being more scheduled during prime-time, thursdays, Saturdays, etc.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score

And we're getting less games, on account of their being more scheduled during prime-time, thursdays, Saturdays, etc.

I cant even remember what I initially paid for it. I just remember buying it montgomery ward's. All the equipment was free and by signing up to sunday ticket they gave me every pay channel for 6 months. It was fantastic. It was less than 200 bucks I think though.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I cant even remember what I initially paid for it. I just remember buying it montgomery ward's. All the equipment was free and by signing up to sunday ticket they gave me every pay channel for 6 months. It was fantastic. It was less than 200 bucks I think though.

Yeah, when it first came out it was very affordable. Even at $335 it's still a decent price if you break it down by weekend.

Even still, getting some $$$ knocked off doesn't hurt.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I will be getting it this year for the first time.

When I lived in LA, I'd get 15 Cowboy games on TV and have to go watch 1 game at a sportsbar. This year, living in Phoenix, the stinkin Cardinals play the same time the Cowboys do, and I spent like 10 weekends in sportsbars and even then, no sound. I still had to hear the crappy Cardinal game.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Some people like to complain just to complain. Be thankful, you get all games in glorious HD now. Surely that is worth nearly doubling in price.

Reaction score
Too expensive for me now, canceling and just going 15mins down the road to the wing place. $335 is redic. I had the redzone too, not sure it that was included. I am in Ohio so its Cleveland of Cincinnati every weekend.

C

Cr122

I don't know what service you guys have, but it's a two year agreement with mine.

I called and threatened to cancel and the guy laughed at me. I've been a customer since the customer installed their own equipment.

When I made my last move the guy talked me into a DVR and my agreement was up June 5.

But with this new added receiver they told me I was entitled to another two years. So no discount for me for NFLST.

Reaction score
Some people like to complain just to complain.

Your avatar is too green. And your username has too many syllables. One time, this guy have be a free bag of money. It sucked because I had to carry the bag around all day. And this weather. Can you believe this heat?

Be thankful, you get all games in glorious HD now. Surely that is worth nearly doubling in price.

Meh. HD really does nothing for me.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't know what service you guys have, but it's a two year agreement with mine.

I called and threatened to cancel and the guy laughed at me. I've been a customer since the customer installed their own equipment.

When I made my last move the guy talked me into a DVR and my agreement was up June 5.

But with this new added receiver they told me I was entitled to another two years. So no discount for me for NFLST.

I'm telling you, call up and say you want to cancel your services. When they ask you why, just tell them that Sunday ticket is the only reason you stick with directv, tell them since it's too high, you're cancelling that and doing away with cable all together. Ask them how much you would owe if you cancelled your contract.

They'll be throwing you a discount before you can finish your script.

I'm on a contract that ends in 2013. I started the phone call with "I want to know how much I would owe you guys if I cancel my contract and discontinue service with directv."

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me last year, where I tried to cancel Sunday Ticket thinking they'd offer me a discount. Nope.

They asked why I was cancelling, and I told them it was getting too expensive. "Okay, the change has been made to your account."

I had to swallow some pride in calling back a few days later to re-order.

Not sure if I'll try again this year. I think it's up to $335, right?

For me, sitting in front of the television from 1pm-11pm on Sundays, watching an assortment of games, is priceless. But it seems Directv is hell bent on testing me.

lol that's what us in the trade call a reverse psychology fail.

C

Cr122

I'm telling you, call up and say you want to cancel your services. When they ask you why, just tell them that Sunday ticket is the only reason you stick with directv, tell them since it's too high, you're cancelling that and doing away with cable all together. Ask them how much you would owe if you cancelled your contract.

They'll be throwing you a discount before you can finish your script.

I'm on a contract that ends in 2013. I started the phone call with "I want to know how much I would owe you guys if I cancel my contract and discontinue service with directv."

I'll give it a shot, but I'm telling ya I have the Al Bundy curse.

Top Bottom