sbk92

Reaction score
Associated Press

The punk rock band thought it was a way to honor its Colorado roots. Apparently, John Elway has a different opinion on the name change.

"Elway" has been asked through a letter to change the group's name after the Hall of Fame quarterback's representatives caught wind of its act.

Lead singer Tim Browne finds it flattering that Elway, the chief football executive of the Denver Broncos, has taken notice of a band that routinely plays "in front of about 30 people in a basement." But Brown says the four-man group from Fort Collins, Colo., plans to keep the name.

Browne's band switched from "10-4 Eleanor" to "Elway" last November, and the change has generated plenty of talk of late.

"None of us really care about football that much," Browne said Saturday in a phone interview with The Associated Press a night after performing at a small venue in Philadelphia. "It's not a direct reference to John Elway. We make no mention of him in records or in our art work. He's local color, part of the local vernacular that people understand."

Browne doesn't quite understand the fuss, but certainly appreciates the attention, even suggesting he'll give Elway a raise for all the publicity the flap has generated.

A phone message was left seeking comment from Elway's representatives.

Browne said the letter strongly urged the band to change its name, but it didn't include a cease and desist order.

"They're banking on us being idiots and that we wouldn't talk to a lawyer," Browne said. "They wanted us to email them back when we change the band's name. I haven't even responded to them. It's blown my mind that it's gotten this big."

The group is scheduled to play in Indianapolis, St. Louis and Kansas City, Mo., before returning in mid-June to Fort Collins, about an hour's drive north of Denver.

"We're just guys living in a van, driving across the country, playing shows with next to nobody (in the audience)," Browne said. "And then this multimillion dollar successful business man, Hall of Fame football player gets so mortified that a punk band would use his last name? It's an incredible shock it happened.

"We're not out to get John Elway. This situation is hilarious and he needs to loosen up. Life's too short to worry about a punk rock band using your name."

Browne wasn't a big sports fan growing up. But since he lived in the area and Elway was the face of the Broncos, the face of the state for that matter, he did pay attention to the beloved quarterback.

Elway led the Broncos to back-to-back Super Bowl championships before retiring in 1999. He returned to the team in January to begin restoring the franchise's tarnished image and bring back its winning ways.

He also is a successful entrepreneur, operating a popular steakhouse in town bearing his name.

"It's kind of hard not to know much about him living in Colorado," Browne said. "But I really have no interest in meeting him."

In addition to Browne, the group also includes bass player Joe Henderer, drummer Garrett Carr and guitarist Brian Van Proyen.

And while Elway the quarterback once played in sold-out stadiums, "Elway" the band barely fills a venue.

"We're slouches," Browne said, laughing. "But we're not the worst slouches in the world. We're doing what we can. We're about having a good time, not trying to steal money out of anyone's pocket.

"We're so small that it confounds me thoroughly why anyone would try to legally strong-arm us."

Cythim

Reaction score
This douche (band leader) was expecting this reaction and hopes to profit from it. He probably wants to imitate the success of Gnarls Barkley by piggybacking off of someone who is already famous, though Gnarls Barkley got big because of their music and not the name.

The image he tries to paint of the band (slouches, guys living in a van) does not match the actions of language of the group. What kind of slouches who live in a van would consult an attorney? Or say "confounds me thoroughly"? Just douchebags trying to make a profit off of another person's hard work.

Reaction score
This douche (band leader) was expecting this reaction and hopes to profit from it. He probably wants to imitate the success of Gnarls Barkley by piggybacking off of someone who is already famous, though Gnarls Barkley got big because of their music and not the name.

The image he tries to paint of the band (slouches, guys living in a van) does not match the actions of language of the group. What kind of slouches who live in a van would consult an attorney? Or say "confounds me thoroughly"? Just douchebags trying to make a profit off of another person's hard work.

Thats kind of how I see it as well.

Plymkr

Reaction score

Thats kind of how I see it as well.

Completely Agree with y'all

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
John Elway should get mad at South Park too for incorporating his name just to make a buck.

sbk92

Reaction score
I see it the other way.

It should be beneath Elway to worry about something so trivial.

I think the guy takes himself a little too seriously. I highly doubt a new Dallas punk group named Staubach would get the same response.

Reaction score
I see it the other way.

It should be beneath Elway to worry about something so trivial.

I think the guy takes himself a little too seriously. I highly doubt a new Dallas punk group named Staubach would get the same response.

Elway's response is irrelevant in my eyes.

Whatever attitude he has, it does not change the fact that the band comes off like they wanted him to get pissed, so they could get some sort of media reaction, however small.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Elway's response is irrelevant in my eyes.

Whatever attitude he has, it does not change the fact that the band comes off like they wanted him to get pissed, so they could get some sort of media reaction, however small.

How does it come off that way?

And they made a great point in another article about this asking why Elway is making such a big stink about this when there is a band called the Dead Kennedys? That's way more irreverent than naming yourself after a Colorado icon.

Last edited:

Cythim

Reaction score
How does it come off that way?

And they made a great point in another article about this asking why Elway is making such a big stink about this when there is a band called the Dead Kennedys? That's way more irreverent than naming yourself after a Colorado icon.

Dead Kennedys have absolutely nothing to do with Elway, but the name sparked plenty of controversy when they were first getting started. Elway doesn't have the class the Kennedys showed by ignoring the band, but what do you expect from a former football player? This would be the exact same as a band naming itself "Wal-Mart" or "Coca-Cola" except Elway cannot trademark his name.

Plymkr

Reaction score
They should of named themselves the Terrell Davis's.. Because, without that guy. Elway doesn't win jackshit in regards to Superbowls.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Dead Kennedys have absolutely nothing to do with Elway, but the name sparked plenty of controversy when they were first getting started. Elway doesn't have the class the Kennedys showed by ignoring the band, but what do you expect from a former football player? This would be the exact same as a band naming itself "Wal-Mart" or "Coca-Cola" except Elway cannot trademark his name.

I still don't get the link between naming your band after someone who is well known in your state, and which isn't irreverent in any way, to trying to create a media storm by doing it.

This wouldn't be blown out of proportion if Elway didn't make a big deal about it from his twitter account, which by the way he uses to update franchise business. So everyone is going to see it.

Cythim

Reaction score
I still don't get the link between naming your band after someone who is well known in your state, and which isn't irreverent in any way, to trying to create a media storm by doing it.

This wouldn't be blown out of proportion if Elway didn't make a big deal about it from his twitter account, which by the way he uses to update franchise business. So everyone is going to see it.

They wouldn't have named it Elway if he was just some local hero with no national fame. Irreverence wasn't the aim, it was sparking controversy by borrowing the name of someone famous. This group did it in the most lazy fashion, Dead Kennedys and Garnls Barkley at least tried to put some meaning into the name.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
They wouldn't have named it Elway if he was just some local hero with no national fame. Irreverence wasn't the aim, it was sparking controversy by borrowing the name of someone famous. This group did it in the most lazy fashion, Dead Kennedys and Garnls Barkley at least tried to put some meaning into the name.

lol please don't pretend to know their mindset. It only became a controversy because John ****ing Elway turned it into one by broadcasting it to the world on his twitter account, acting like a petty, little twat to boot.

Last edited:

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
and btw, I'm responding mostly to rock slamdance acting like renaming their band to Elway is some sort of slap in the face to the man.

Last edited:
Top Bottom