Reaction score
White people in America now believe they suffer more racism than blacks, a groundbreaking study has found.

After decades of multiculturalism, they feel that improvements in equality for ethnic minorities has come at their own expense.

Whites now think they face more discrimination than black people throughout their lives. The US study is one of the first to show the effect of “reverse racism” towards white people which has sprung out of fear of offending non-whites.

Its authors say it could have “clear implications” for future research - but also for politicians responsible for allowing the problem to develop.

The research found that both whites and blacks agree anti-black racism has decreased over the last 60 years.

However, whites are convinced anti-white racism has increased and is now a bigger problem than anti-black racism.

The team from Harvard Business School and Tufts University in Massachusetts came to their conclusion after contacting a random sample of 208 black people and 209 whites. They asked them to rate on a scale of one to 10 how much discrimination each group had faced since the 1950s.

Blacks saw bias against them decline steadily, from an average rating of 9.7 in the 1950s to 6.1 in the 2000s. Over the same period, there was a small increase in anti-white bias, from 1.4 to 1.8. Whites saw an even steeper decline in anti-black bias: from 9.1, in the 1950s, to 3.6, in the 2000s.

But in a striking twist, among whites there was a dramatic increase in perceived anti-white bias over the same period, which went up from 1.8 to 4.7. The researchers concluded that whites thought that anti-white discrimination was a greater social problem than bias against blacks.

“The data is the first to demonstrate that not only do whites think more progress has been made toward equality than do blacks, but whites also now believe that this progress is linked to a new inequality - at their expense,” the authors wrote. They added that whites see racial equality as a zero-sum game, in which gains for one group mean losses for the other.

In some jobs white candidates are at a disadvantage as employers are keen to fulfill their “quotas” for ethnic minorities.

Despite the findings, however, equality campaigners argued the reality is the majority of black people face far more of a struggle throughout their lives. Recent research showed almost half of young black people are unemployed, more than twice the rate for young white people.

Some studies have shown that in the workplace, discrimination is still prevalent with blacks vastly under-represented in boardrooms.

Tufts Associate Professor of Psychology Samuel Sommers, a co-author of the study, said the findings were “pretty surprising when you think of the wide range of disparities that still exist in society, most of which show blacks with worse outcomes than whites in areas such as income, home ownership, health and employment”.

Michael Norton, an associate professor with the Harvard Business School said whites held this perception because they did not look at the bigger picture.

“If you are a middle class white person who does not have much day-to-day interaction with black people then your views are going to be informed by what you hear,” he said.

“In America there have been a number of high profile cases of ‘reverse racism’ where black job candidates were given preference over white candidates, and they were widely reported on.

“People tend to see these and not the overall trends which show that black people are far more likely to experience discrimination.” - Daily Mail

Cythim

Reaction score
I'll bet if most white people stop and think hard about it they will find that they have not been victims of discrimination. The potential for discrimination feels present with the various laws and organizations, but what impact have they actually had toward white people? I am not saying it does not exist because I am sure someone out there has had to deal with it (Trading Places?), but I doubt the vast majority of white people have ever felt discrimination.

Reaction score
I think the article covers it.

I've seen it directly in the work enviroment. For example, when the military advances their troops to higher paygrades/ranks... they fill quota's. X% caucasien, X% African American, X%Asian American, etc.

And it sucks because I've seen some incredibly talented crackers get passed over in advancement because of this.

Even at my current company, there is this ridiculous (in my opinion) emphasis on "diversity." And while jobs are supposed to offered without regards to race, religion, sex, ect... my supervisors stress to me to focus on "diversity" when I'm interviewing and hiring new candidates.

Cythim

Reaction score
Promotion in the military is based on merit and time in service. Very little human judgement is used at the lower ranks of both enlisted and officer. Once you get to E-7 and 0-5/0-6 it starts to get more political and at that point you might see color become a contributing factor. This is why the Army has had a grand total of six black 4-star generals.

Reaction score
Please Mid.. spare us. You can't actually believe that white people are discriminated against more than minorities.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
If I could talk on my cellphone while driving, my life would be perfect.

Reaction score

I've seen it directly in the work enviroment.

You arn't agreeing with your article that you posted here?

Reaction score

I've seen it directly in the work enviroment.

You arn't agreeing with your article that you posted here?

I agree with the article, not the results of the study.

The article concludes by essentially saying that the perceived discrimination is ill-founded. Which I agree with.

But I have seen discrimination against caucasions in the work place, yes. And I think that is wrong. I don't think nationality, race, religion, etc should come into play in the hiring process. Give the most qualified candidate the job each and every time.

That doesn't happen though. We force the hiring/promotion of minorities in instances because of the perception of a lack of equality.

Reaction score
I agree with the article, not the results of the study.

The article concludes by essentially saying that the perceived discrimination is ill-founded. Which I agree with.

But I have seen discrimination against caucasions in the work place, yes. And I think that is wrong. I don't think nationality, race, religion, etc should come into play in the hiring process. Give the most qualified candidate the job each and every time.

That doesn't happen though. We force the hiring/promotion of minorities in instances because of the perception of a lack of equality.

I gotcha now. I agree there shouldn't be a need for affirmative action hires anymore or diversifying the workplace. The most qualified candidate should get the job. Unfortunately, i think we're going to continue to see alot of "diversification" in the workplace because alot of people are still very racist in this country. As much as we've improved on the matter as a society, its still far too prevelant.

Reaction score
I gotcha now. I agree there shouldn't be a need for affirmative action hires anymore or diversifying the workplace. The most qualified candidate should get the job. Unfortunately, i think we're going to continue to see alot of "diversification" in the workplace because alot of people are still very racist in this country. As much as we've improved on the matter as a society, its still far too prevelant.

I don't see it, honestly.

Am I saying no one is racist? Of course not. But I don't see prevailing racism in this country.

Reaction score
I don't see it, honestly.

Am I saying no one is racist? Of course not. But I don't see prevailing racism in this country.

I think its gotten better like i said, but i still see or hear racist comments and remarks every week. Some under the cover of a "joke" but still.. its still definitely a problem.

Top Bottom