sbk92

Reaction score
Cowboys Mailbag

If a salary cap is in place, will the Cowboys be able to do anything in free agency other than bring in part-time role players to help this defense?

BRENDAN RAYBUCK - TUSTIN, CA: If a salary cap is in place, will the Cowboys be able to do anything in free agency other than bring in part-time role players to help this defense?

Nick: Yeah they'll be able to do a few things. With a cap, they'll probably cut a few players that would save them money - guys like Barber, Colombo and even Terence Newman if they wanted to go that route. Plus, the Cowboys have been pretty creative in their last few free-agent signings so it's possible they could probably get who they wanted, with or without a cap. The question will come back to Jerry and if he's willing to go out and spend during this year of uncertainty.

Rob: They certainly can make room by releasing some veterans and restructuring some contracts. The top priority is re-signing Doug Free, and his contract figures to exceed what first-round pick Tyron Smith gets - maybe in the range of $30-40 million. I still expect them to be able to sign a starter or two, but they have to decide their priorities. Bringing back Gerald Sensabaugh? Free safety? Defensive lineman? They can't have everything, which is why a run at Nnamdi Asomugha seems unlikely no matter how much they like him.

SALAAM ABDULLAH - DENVER, CO: The 1992 and 1993 Cowboys teams had a defensive line rotation that was very deep. A strong, pressure generating line is the key to championship teams. With so many free agents on the line, is there any reason to believe this year's group will be good enough?

Nick: It's not good to compare anything to those squads on so many levels. I'm sorry, but I don't think the Cowboys won two straight championships because they had a great defensive line. I'm not saying it didn't help and that Charles Haley wasn't a difference maker, but to me, those teams won because of what they did on offense and what it allowed them to do defensively. But to your question - yes, the Cowboys need to make sure they have plenty of depth on the line. I'm expecting Olshansky, Ratliff and Brent to be back, along with two of the three free agents. My guess would be Bowen and Hatcher, but if Spears doesn't cost them too much more than Hatcher, I think the Cowboys will go that route. And then you've got Sean Lissemore somewhere in the mix. They look thin now but I'm sure it will be different once they can start free agency.

Rob: Unless they sign a top lineman in free agency, someone like Cullen Jenkins, Rob Ryan will have to get more pressure out of essentially the same group. Obviously they expect his scheme to help - make things a little more complex for offenses, bring pressure from different areas - but it's clear after last season they have to explore some possible upgrades at defensive end. The draft addressed nothing in that area.

sbk92

Reaction score
SALAAM ABDULLAH - DENVER, CO: The 1992 and 1993 Cowboys teams had a defensive line rotation that was very deep. A strong, pressure generating line is the key to championship teams. With so many free agents on the line, is there any reason to believe this year's group will be good enough?

Nick: It's not good to compare anything to those squads on so many levels. I'm sorry, but I don't think the Cowboys won two straight championships because they had a great defensive line. I'm not saying it didn't help and that Charles Haley wasn't a difference maker, but to me, those teams won because of what they did on offense and what it allowed them to do defensively.

Wow. Just wow.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Interesting comment about the defense during the early 90's.

Here are the ranking for the offense during that time period, this is scoring offense:

1991 9th
1992 2nd
1993 2nd
1994 2nd
1995 3rd

OK, here are the scoring defense ranking for the same years:

1991 17th
1992 5th
1993 2nd
1994 3rd
1995 3rd

So, outside of 1991, there wasn't a big difference between the two units. However I then took a look at the sack figures for the defense during that time period, here again are the rankings:

1991 26th
1992 12th
1993 18th
1994 2nd
1995 14th

Funny that the year they ranked best in sacks was also the year they didn't win a Super Bowl.

sbk92

Reaction score
Those Dallas' defenses didn't see the field much. That offensive line just dominated games and the game clock.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Those Dallas' defenses didn't see the field much. That offensive line just dominated games and the game clock.

Kind of a mixed bag...

In 1991 they were 13th in the number of defensive snaps (#1 facing the fewest number of snaps)
1992 1st, and if I recall it was by a good number of plays
1993 18th
1994 16th
1995 7th

Top Bottom