sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by nickeatman at 5/5/2011 5:22 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

You want to know what Tyron Smith adds to the team right now? Well, that’s it right there. That’s the average age of this offensive line as it was last season.

And if no changes were made and the Cowboys went with the starting five of Doug Free, Kyle Kosier, Andre Gurode, Leonard Davis and Marc Colombo, they’d have the average starting age of 31.2 years old. That’s four guys at 32 years old and Doug Free at a ripe 28.

But just by one switch – the addition of 20-year old Tyron Smith to replace Colombo, it dips down pretty dramatically.

Ok, so is this just a way to crunch numbers or does it matter? Well, obviously you’d want a younger lineman if he’s just as good. But younger usually means more athletic, too.

And if you’ve got Leonard Davis at right guard, he’ll probably be more effective with a younger, versatile player to his right than Colombo.

That’s just with one change. Let’s say the other rookie – guard David Arkin ends up cracking the starting lineup at one of the guard spots, replacing either Kosier or Davis. Then the average age dips down to 26.6. You went from an aging line to one that is rather inexperienced. Of course, to do the latter, it would mean starting a pair of rookies on the line – something that might not be in the best interest of protecting Tony Romo. But if they’re the best two options, then the Cowboys shouldn’t be afraid of it.

The offensive line definitely needs to big changes. Getting younger and getting better. Just one move can take care of the age part. The Cowboys are crossing their fingers about the latter.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
In what disastrous scenario is David Arkin starting this year?

Cythim

Reaction score
I really don't see us starting two rookies this year. If we have a different starting OG this year Holland would be the only guy I could see getting the job, unless we pick someone else up in FA or a trade. Holland is about to turn 31 so this doesn't get us any younger and he isn't an upgrade from what we currently have so I don't see why we would make that move.

Reaction score
In what disastrous scenario is David Arkin starting this year?

There has been talk that he could potentially be good enough to start at some point this year. Davis didn't exactly play lights out for us last season. He isn't getting any younger either. If Arkin proves he's good enough to win a starting spot at some point this year that's just a bonus.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I like the kid and could see him starting as early as 2012 (2013 more likely) but if he is starting this year, something went horribly wrong.

Reaction score
I like the kid and could see him starting as early as 2012 (2013 more likely) but if he is starting this year, something went horribly wrong.

I'll trust our coaches know what's best if i see him starting.. Kosier and Davis arn't getting any younger.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

6-10 and one of the worst and oldest Olines does not count as being horribly wrong?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't think Leonard Davis is gonna be taking us anywhere this year, but 2 rookies on the same side is dicey at best.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'll trust our coaches know what's best if i see him starting.. Kosier and Davis arn't getting any younger.

Aww yes..the famous I trust our coaches line. Did you trust the coaches with the starting safeties last year? How did that work out?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would have started a Watkins, or Puncey along with Tyron. That would have been an immediate upgrade.

But this kid Arkin came out of nowhere.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Kosier is one of our most consistent linemen and the smartest to boot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Aww yes..the famous I trust our coaches line. Did you trust the coaches with the starting safeties last year? How did that work out?

I'd trust Jason Garrett and Rob Ryan to make the call over you.. that's all im saying. Take it.. like it.. hate it.. cry about it.. whatever you gotta do.

sbk92

Reaction score
Neither Jason Garrett or Rob Ryan have ever done anything to make me give them all the benefit of the doubt on personnel moves.

Top Bottom